Automotive

New Car - Salesman gave me his cost price and "told me" to make an offer...what should i make him?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2018 9:26 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23784 posts
10217 upvotes
Ottawa
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 2:37 am
prob around 51k . planning on financing, not paying full cash. i am wanting to keep this for oh say 5 years and wel, thats a good chunk of my life and prob will spend a good chunk of it driving this car. so why not pick something i will enjoy in right?
When are our congrats due?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1392 posts
144 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 1:38 pm

See if you can squeeze the first few oil changes and maintenance visits out of the deal... Tell them that your significant other thinks that new vehicles cost more to service and if they can throw in or heavily discount some services, it would go a long way in convincing them otherwise!
kenchau wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 2:05 pm

Okay, then that makes sense for column three - matches up with the online calculator. Column two must have a bunch of erroneous fees added in, since it comes out higher than full MSRP compared to the online calculator.

@thatsnazzyiphoneguy , if it's the vehicle you want, and you're happy with invoice + $800, then go for it and enjoy your car and don't look back wondering if you could have paid less or gotten more or whatever...because there's always someone that will get a better deal, as well as, someone that will pay more.
tranquility922 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 10:51 pm

Wise words.

OP, just try your best and you'll get the best price for you. Some ppl may do better, some may do worse. Unless you're me, I helped my parent get an Elantra sedan for $19,700 all-in (actually maybe hundred or so less as they had some weird cashback scheme)+winter mats+touchup pen. Can't touch that. :D
tranquility922 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 1:04 am

Well, it's an added cost for them to bring it over, be it driving it over (not good for the vehicle, as a bit more wear & tear) or actually trucking it over. You'd probably get a better deal from the dealership that they are sourcing it from. This is from personal exp. That's why I recommend shooting LOTS of emails to all dealers you're interested in and going from there.
Invalid12 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 8:22 am

That makes sense I think the Highlander is a very smart choice, I've never heard of a owner that wasn't happy with one. Did you pull the trigger on one?
vkizzle wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 8:29 am
When are our congrats due?
@vkzlle, when the new car is in my driveway lol . hopefulyl very soon! will post pics or it didnt happen ;)

im pretty confident that im going with the highlander. i think i found the place with the best deal . it was between the GMC acadia and toyota highlander originally and going with the highlander since im hoping in the long term i wouldnt run into as many problems down the road plus toyota includes all there safety stuff as a standard wehre the acadia u gotta pay extra upon extra.

right now im just contemplating on the XLE or the Limited. I couldnt care less about the upgraded leather, panormic roof, heating steering wheel etc on the limited, but the 360 camera with parking sensors is the number feature i really wanted . although, to justify the extra 5000 dollars on top of the XLE is what im scratching my head about. my parkingskills arent terrible, still getting use to it, but having the ability to see how close you are to any object around your car seems REALLY useful. what do you guys think?

also, the original sales guy i started this thread about, offered to drive me to his dealership lol! my last message was i will think about his offer (in other words kind of turning it down) and he asked if i wanted to come in to talk and what not, but i told him im not in the city/area and would need to arrange a ride and he replied back saying he would drive me there. imagine if agreed and he did that and i didnt end up buying! i guess i would be stuck finding a way home lol . This normal sales tactic? haha
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2418 posts
601 upvotes
Kingston
Don't go to the dealership to "discuss" price because here's what will happen: 1. You'll be there for hours while the salesman goes back and forward to his "manager" to see whether they can go as low as the "amazing offer" he's giving you, 2. After you're exhausted of this drama act you'll sign anything to get out of there.

Do it all over email. Send him your on the road price. Tell him you'll come and sign for that price today.
Feb 25, 2015
352 posts
117 upvotes
ON
The XLE is by far the most popular trim. If you decide to go with a 2017 XLE it's probably better to do it sooner than later if you want to save the $600 plus price increase plus the rate increase of the 2018 s.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1392 posts
144 upvotes
So I wanted to update everyone on my many car questions and ended up finally pulling the trigger on the toyota high;ander.

thank you everyone for helping me with my car questions. i appreciate all your support and advice on buying a vehicle as well as putting up with me :D

ive been enjoying the highlander very much, lots of room to carry stuff and a powerful naturally aspirated V6 to boot.

I chose the XLE model as i put the extra 5 grand that could have been for the limited for snow tires and rims, as well as insurnace.

although i do miss the 360 camera that i test drove in a limited but its one of thos things i wil have to adjust to without.

asside from that, im happy with the vehicle choice! i dont know if i could have pulled the tirgger on this car without you guys!
Images
  • IMG_2599 2.jpg
Banned
Feb 8, 2017
186 posts
131 upvotes
Toyota Highlander is the best. Congratulations
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2357 posts
1196 upvotes
GTA
Excellent choice, congrats! Smart move saving 5K over Ltd, I don’t think those extras are worth that much.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5697 posts
2898 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Jan 12th, 2018 12:14 am
So I wanted to update everyone on my many car questions and ended up finally pulling the trigger on the toyota high;ander.

thank you everyone for helping me with my car questions. i appreciate all your support and advice on buying a vehicle as well as putting up with me :D

ive been enjoying the highlander very much, lots of room to carry stuff and a powerful naturally aspirated V6 to boot.

I chose the XLE model as i put the extra 5 grand that could have been for the limited for snow tires and rims, as well as insurnace.

although i do miss the 360 camera that i test drove in a limited but its one of thos things i wil have to adjust to without.

asside from that, im happy with the vehicle choice! i dont know if i could have pulled the tirgger on this car without you guys!
Nice car. I've been driving 30 years and never had a problem parking (you shouldn't be driving if you need assistance to park IMO - so you didn't need the "extras" on the other model unless you are absolute crap behind the wheel).
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
24468 posts
2382 upvotes
Hamilton
Congrats
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Sep 25, 2009
168 posts
21 upvotes
I just purchased a new Civic SE 2018. Basically, every honda dealership has a book they like to pull out to show clients their "Invoice Price". It is just another sales tool to pressure you. They likely get the car below the said "Invoice Price", and we'll never know what they actually paid for it.

I paid $150 over invoice, they still said yes. I see no reason to pay over Invoice price when Invoice Price is basically the new MSRP. Also don't listen to their spiel about "I need to make money too". Yeh sure, how about truly showing customers what you paid, then we'll talk about how much money you're making.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
9866 posts
4244 upvotes
Toronto

Than thank them...
Dec 1, 2009
879 posts
102 upvotes
Mississauga

congrats