Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9647 posts
2315 upvotes

new car scratch

hey everyone, need some opinions on what to do here, we bought a new cx5 last month, on pickup day we noticed a scratch in the hood, the dealer assured me they would take care of it, and to schedule a service.

we scheduled a service and they buffed it, it did nothing, they advised a second service would be needed and they would send it to an detailing shop.

fast forward to today, we brought it in, they told us it was fixed, go to pick it up, and scratch is still there, it feels a bit less deep, but its there.

the scratch is around I inch long on the hood, car is darkish gray, scratch shows as almost white in the sun.

we spoke with the next level manager, he basically told us he is refusing to repaint it, and will not replace the hood. hes basically wanting us to ask what we want.

what is reasonable to ask for here? I was thinking like 10 oil changes. we bought work at lawfirms and can get legal work done for free, so if this stalls we will pursue that route if needed.
97 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1794 posts
585 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
10 oil changes for a 1" scratch?? LOL

get over it...your car will get scratched eventually. if it's not into the metal you'll be fine. the dealership already put it through the "detail" shop.

just move on...no point wasting your time on this..
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21294 posts
2126 upvotes
rocking23nf wrote:
Oct 7th, 2015 7:26 pm
hey everyone, need some opinions on what to do here, we bought a new cx5 last month, on pickup day we noticed a scratch in the hood, the dealer assured me they would take care of it, and to schedule a service.

we scheduled a service and they buffed it, it did nothing, they advised a second service would be needed and they would send it to an detailing shop.

fast forward to today, we brought it in, they told us it was fixed, go to pick it up, and scratch is still there, it feels a bit less deep, but its there.

the scratch is around I inch long on the hood, car is darkish gray, scratch shows as almost white in the sun.

we spoke with the next level manager, he basically told us he is refusing to repaint it, and will not replace the hood. hes basically wanting us to ask what we want.

what is reasonable to ask for here? I was thinking like 10 oil changes. we bought work at lawfirms and can get legal work done for free, so if this stalls we will pursue that route if needed.
Never accept delivery if you're not happy with it. Anything you get will be hard fought. 10 oil changes is insane, that's $750 of service. May be 1, at most.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29214 posts
15054 upvotes
Ottawa
stovetop wrote:
Oct 7th, 2015 7:29 pm
10 oil changes for a 1" scratch?? LOL

get over it...your car will get scratched eventually. if it's not into the metal you'll be fine. the dealership already put it through the "detail" shop.

just move on...no point wasting your time on this..
It's a brand new car...get over it?
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2436 posts
351 upvotes
Ancaster
If they use a proper scratch & dent repair service they should be able to fix that to the point you`d have a hard time seeing it.

Tell them that`s what you want instead of the half-assed job they`ve done so far.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21086 posts
10548 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Free maintenance for life and a comprehensive 500k km warranty would be a good place to start
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17027 posts
4768 upvotes
Toronto
It's a small scratch. Who cares. It's going to get scratched eventually when driving on the highway.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2005
4984 posts
2327 upvotes
Toronto
rocking23nf wrote:

You both work at law firms and you're going to drive a Mazda? Where's the presteige bro?

Ask for an upgrade (like they do on airplanes) to a Range Rover.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
7587 posts
1748 upvotes
Mississauga
rocking23nf wrote:

I hate to tell you but you made 3 mistakes. Your first mistake was expecting sympathy from the poster`s on the automotive forum`s on Rfd. Your second mistake was telling them you work at a law firm. Your third mistake was expecting 10 oil changes for a scratch. I understand its a scratch on a brand new car, they tried there best. Ask for 3 oil changes and accept whatever they offer.
Mar 17, 2006
497 posts
226 upvotes
Whenever I buy a new car I always hope to find some little scratches or rock chips during the initial inspection so I can get a free bottle of touch up paint out of it. Leave it as is. They probably already burned through a great deal of clear coat trying to get it out.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8636 posts
1028 upvotes
Don't ask for a sand and entire car repainted like that other guy in automotive section on that Camaro. Buying a budget car and asking for perfection. Request 1000 to 1500 back, take the money and have an auto detailed buff it out or add a small clear coat with these paint repair kits. A professional detailer can detail it without much notice.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11477 posts
6293 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Need pics.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1590 posts
260 upvotes
pictures or it didn't happen.
Only pics can enable us to assess as to how many oil changes worth the scratch is.