Jun 11, 2005
7156 posts
1571 upvotes
Mississauga
iHateShaw wrote:
Oct 7th, 2015 9:30 pm
If it's just 1 inch as you said you'll forget about it in 2 days
Move on
But they owned the car for a month already and haven't forgotten yet.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9412 posts
2048 upvotes
just to clarify, yes we work at lawfirms, but are not lawyers. we aren't rich but not poor either. and the CX5 was the car that fit our needs.
second, this scratch was noticed at the time of signing the final paperwork, and we were told both verbally and on paper that it can and will be fixed.

I don't have a picture available, this color is the new titanium flash color, it goes from a brownish green to dark grey depending on the lighting situation, we found the scratch was very noticeable in the sun today.

the dealer claimed to repaint the hood was 700$, and a new hood was 2000$. this "employee" said they will do neither, and kept asking what we want to do, which we replied we want it fixed as per our sale. they were supposed to call me tonite, that hasn't happened as of yet. I have a strong suspicion this will end up turning in a legal matter. I'm willing to overlook the scratch in exchange for some compensation, I don't think 10 oil changes is extreme, they are 92$ each at this dealer, which probably costs them 30$ that's 300$ out of their pocket, but saves me 920$. luckily we don't pay for legal work, so if we have to make a claim, we wont incur any legal costs win or lose.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15524 posts
5785 upvotes
rocking23nf wrote:
Oct 7th, 2015 10:24 pm
just to clarify, yes we work at lawfirms, but are not lawyers. we aren't rich but not poor either. and the CX5 was the car that fit our needs.
second, this scratch was noticed at the time of signing the final paperwork, and we were told both verbally and on paper that it can and will be fixed.

I don't have a picture available, this color is the new titanium flash color, it goes from a brownish green to dark grey depending on the lighting situation, we found the scratch was very noticeable in the sun today.

the dealer claimed to repaint the hood was 700$, and a new hood was 2000$. this "employee" said they will do neither, and kept asking what we want to do, which we replied we want it fixed as per our sale. they were supposed to call me tonite, that hasn't happened as of yet. I have a strong suspicion this will end up turning in a legal matter. I'm willing to overlook the scratch in exchange for some compensation, I don't think 10 oil changes is extreme, they are 92$ each at this dealer, which probably costs them 30$ that's 300$ out of their pocket, but saves me 920$. luckily we don't pay for legal work, so if we have to make a claim, we wont incur any legal costs win or lose.
I believe you are in the Edmonton area? Take it into a Auto Obsessed (http://www.autoobsessed.com/) and get a quote for repair. They are far and away the best detailing shop you will find in the area.

Once you know the cost to fix, and whether it can be fixed, I would then either ask the dealership to foot the repair bill or give you that amount as a credit towards services you want (such as lifetime oil changes or something - cost us $500 at a Nissan dealer so that would seem reasonable to ask for if the damage is in that range).

It seems like a poor idea to negotiate compensation when you have no idea what the scratch costs.

Additionally, you do not want them to repaint your hood. The paint used in a body shop is different from the paint that they use in the factory, and the quality will typically be much lower. It also may not match the rest of your car without being blended in with the other panels.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2703 posts
1500 upvotes
GTA
Wait couple months. You will forget about the scratch when the rust shows up. Mazda never fails.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20989 posts
10398 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
rocking23nf wrote:
Oct 7th, 2015 10:24 pm

I wish I had your help last week when a woman slammed her door into my car and left a scratch and paint transfer. She just took off and I noticed after the fact. I should've sued her for $1m
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2009
1032 posts
274 upvotes
Dartmouth
CuriousJack wrote:
Oct 7th, 2015 8:59 pm
Guys you got to understand the OP's situation here...he was promised that they will fix it...they tried but they failed...there should be something the dealership have to offer first and not wait for the customer to ask...if the dealership really value their customers they have to make their customer satisfied...
While it sucks that the car is scratched the OP needs to take some responsibility for being gullible. NEVER accept delivery of the car if its not up to standards. Had the OP said I'm not taking delivery of the car until the scratch is fixed then the scratch would have been properly fixed. The dealer could not get all their $ they could not count the sale towards quotas etc because the car was not delivered.
The minute he drove off the lot all leverage was lost.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9412 posts
2048 upvotes
Toolatecrew wrote:
Oct 8th, 2015 8:13 am
While it sucks that the car is scratched the OP needs to take some responsibility for being gullible. NEVER accept delivery of the car if its not up to standards. Had the OP said I'm not taking delivery of the car until the scratch is fixed then the scratch would have been properly fixed. The dealer could not get all their $ they could not count the sale towards quotas etc because the car was not delivered.
The minute he drove off the lot all leverage was lost.
that's completely unreasonable. we have the removal of the scratch listed on the bill of sale, this wasn't noticed until the final walk around with the car, our old vehicle had already been traded in. to walk away at that point would have been way worse then dealing with this now. its not like legal action takes a lot of work to do if needed. demand letter takes 15 minutes to draft, if that doesn't work, its a claim in court.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9412 posts
2048 upvotes
TrevorK wrote:
Oct 7th, 2015 11:25 pm
I believe you are in the Edmonton area? Take it into a Auto Obsessed (http://www.autoobsessed.com/) and get a quote for repair. They are far and away the best detailing shop you will find in the area.

Once you know the cost to fix, and whether it can be fixed, I would then either ask the dealership to foot the repair bill or give you that amount as a credit towards services you want (such as lifetime oil changes or something - cost us $500 at a Nissan dealer so that would seem reasonable to ask for if the damage is in that range).

It seems like a poor idea to negotiate compensation when you have no idea what the scratch costs.

Additionally, you do not want them to repaint your hood. The paint used in a body shop is different from the paint that they use in the factory, and the quality will typically be much lower. It also may not match the rest of your car without being blended in with the other panels.
thanks, one of the rare useful posts on RFD.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9412 posts
2048 upvotes
FYI I just got a call from the dealership and they are going to replace the complete hood of the car.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20989 posts
10398 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
rocking23nf wrote:
Oct 8th, 2015 12:18 pm
FYI I just got a call from the dealership and they are going to replace the complete hood of the car.
damn good work. I need some of your negotiation skills. Need to find that woman that destroyed my car last week and demand a new car. Anyways, enjoy the new ride.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2009
1717 posts
675 upvotes
GTA
rocking23nf wrote:
Oct 8th, 2015 12:18 pm
Whats did u do? How did the dealership suddenly make a 180 turn in decision making?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9412 posts
2048 upvotes
Akizuki wrote:
Oct 8th, 2015 12:53 pm
Whats did u do? How did the dealership suddenly make a 180 turn in decision making?
I didn't do or threaten anything. I simply got a call this morning and was informed that they decided to replace the hood. I was kind of surprised myself because the "manager guy" yesterday refused to even put that on the table.

I think they went back and looked at the bill of sale and realized that fixing the scratch was on it so they had to do something.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9412 posts
2048 upvotes
maybe they are going to swap it with a hood from a new in stock vehicle of the same color and then sell the other vehicle with the scratch in it.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17604 posts
2314 upvotes
Langley
That's exactly what they're going to do.