None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
7457 posts
1710 upvotes
Mississauga
rocking23nf wrote:
Oct 8th, 2015 12:59 pm
I didn't do or threaten anything. I simply got a call this morning and was informed that they decided to replace the hood. I was kind of surprised myself because the "manager guy" yesterday refused to even put that on the table.

I think they went back and looked at the bill of sale and realized that fixing the scratch was on it so they had to do something.
Good for you. I`m surprised myself they flipped so quick. Has your law firm ever done any work for them? I guess you can name them now since they have done the right thing.
Nov 14, 2013
492 posts
152 upvotes
Brampton, Ontario
Congrats on your new ride and good job having that on your papers. Do verify the hood change (use, paint) on it
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17593 posts
1693 upvotes
Woodbridge
Who cares right, not OP's problem anymore. LOL
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
May 16, 2007
1584 posts
76 upvotes
rocking23nf wrote:
Oct 8th, 2015 1:00 pm
maybe they are going to swap it with a hood from a new in stock vehicle of the same color and then sell the other vehicle with the scratch in it.
i6s1 wrote:
Oct 8th, 2015 1:07 pm
That's exactly what they're going to do.
I don't know any dealers/salespeople so I don't know the mindset but would they try to fix the scratch and sell the car or just sell it as is? Something like a scratch doesn't get listed on a report or something when you buy a car? As far as you're concerned a new car is a new car which is problem free (you hope lol)?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15930 posts
6115 upvotes
rocking23nf wrote:
Oct 8th, 2015 1:00 pm
maybe they are going to swap it with a hood from a new in stock vehicle of the same color and then sell the other vehicle with the scratch in it.
Some vehicles have the VIN number on the hood - they would then have to swap the stickers and that would be difficult to do without looking off. Not sure if the CX5 does or not.

My money is that what they will most likely do is bill the manufacturer for warranty work and call it a defect from the factory. This allows them to get paid for their work on your vehicle.

Remember if you are putting clear film on the hood you should be waiting for the new paint to fully cure. I would consult the manufacturer of your film for their recommendations. (if you are wrapping it that is).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28777 posts
14587 upvotes
Ottawa
TrevorK wrote:
Oct 8th, 2015 2:09 pm
Some vehicles have the VIN number on the hood - they would then have to swap the stickers and that would be difficult to do without looking off. Not sure if the CX5 does or not.

My money is that what they will most likely do is bill the manufacturer for warranty work and call it a defect from the factory. This allows them to get paid for their work on your vehicle.

Remember if you are putting clear film on the hood you should be waiting for the new paint to fully cure. I would consult the manufacturer of your film for their recommendations. (if you are wrapping it that is).
Except, most dealerships won't proceed with "warranty" work until it has been authorized by the factory.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
7457 posts
1710 upvotes
Mississauga
vkizzle wrote:
Oct 8th, 2015 2:13 pm
Except, most dealerships won't proceed with "warranty" work until it has been authorized by the factory.
For them to be able to bill the factory the scratch would of had to of happened on the transport delivering the vehicle to the dealership and in most cases they have 24 hours to report the scratch or there out of luck. If the scratch happened on the lot it is there responsibility, that is what probably happened that is why they tried in house to fix it first then tried a second time sending it to a detail shop. I don't think these cars have VIN numbers on the hoods or the dealer wouldn't switch hoods. It could cause problems in the future. The car they are taking a hood off of for op they are going to use as a demo and when they sell it as a demo the hood is going to have a scratch in it and the person buying is not going to care.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17795 posts
2434 upvotes
Langley
Starkicker wrote:
Oct 8th, 2015 1:44 pm
I don't know any dealers/salespeople so I don't know the mindset but would they try to fix the scratch and sell the car or just sell it as is? Something like a scratch doesn't get listed on a report or something when you buy a car? As far as you're concerned a new car is a new car which is problem free (you hope lol)?
They've already tried to fix it cheaply so they won't do anything else. It's probably less visible now so they'll hope the next buyer doesn't see it. If they do, they'll promise to fix it in a few weeks, then they'll say that the guy who made that promise has left the dealership and so they can't verify that he made the promise, etc, etc. If push comes to shove they'll swap it again and eventually someone won't notice or won't care. Or they might just tell someone they're getting an extra discount because of the scratch, or offer a few oil changes, or something like that.

I just think it's funny when people buy new cars cause they don't want the hassle of used cars. Dealerships pull this crap every day.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28777 posts
14587 upvotes
Ottawa
antigua1999 wrote:
Oct 8th, 2015 2:47 pm
For them to be able to bill the factory the scratch would of had to of happened on the transport delivering the vehicle to the dealership and in most cases they have 24 hours to report the scratch or there out of luck. If the scratch happened on the lot it is there responsibility, that is what probably happened that is why they tried in house to fix it first then tried a second time sending it to a detail shop. I don't think these cars have VIN numbers on the hoods or the dealer wouldn't switch hoods. It could cause problems in the future. The car they are taking a hood off of for op they are going to use as a demo and when they sell it as a demo the hood is going to have a scratch in it and the person buying is not going to care.
Why you responding to me?
It was user TrevorK, that said the dealership will be billing the repair to the factory!
TrevorK wrote:
Oct 8th, 2015 2:09 pm

Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
7457 posts
1710 upvotes
Mississauga
vkizzle wrote:
Oct 8th, 2015 2:13 pm
That's why. DUH
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2008
1354 posts
262 upvotes
Mississauga
inb4 'new' engine hood off a 2012 CX5 sitting in the used car lot
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28777 posts
14587 upvotes
Ottawa
antigua1999 wrote:
Oct 8th, 2015 4:02 pm
That's why. DUH
You must be illiterate or have dyslexia?
Go back up a few posts and read some more.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
7457 posts
1710 upvotes
Mississauga
vkizzle wrote:
Oct 8th, 2015 7:13 pm
You must be illiterate or have dyslexia?
Go back up a few posts and read some more.
You cant read what you posted? Ottawa right. Duh