None
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20973 posts
10353 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
ammywilson wrote:
Oct 10th, 2015 7:50 am
If its dealer fault then you should take legal action .. It may be repairing or charges something like free services upto 2-3 years..
Makes sense. Least the scratch was only an inch. I couldn't imagine the compensation due if the scratch was say 3 inches. Probably be like a free home in the kawarthas and a masarati in the driveway. Kind of like winning the princess Margaret lottery in a way.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
2892 posts
251 upvotes
rocking23nf wrote:
Oct 7th, 2015 7:26 pm
hey everyone, need some opinions on what to do here, we bought a new cx5 last month, on pickup day we noticed a scratch in the hood, the dealer assured me they would take care of it, and to schedule a service.

we scheduled a service and they buffed it, it did nothing, they advised a second service would be needed and they would send it to an detailing shop.

fast forward to today, we brought it in, they told us it was fixed, go to pick it up, and scratch is still there, it feels a bit less deep, but its there.

the scratch is around I inch long on the hood, car is darkish gray, scratch shows as almost white in the sun.

we spoke with the next level manager, he basically told us he is refusing to repaint it, and will not replace the hood. hes basically wanting us to ask what we want.

what is reasonable to ask for here? I was thinking like 10 oil changes. we bought work at lawfirms and can get legal work done for free, so if this stalls we will pursue that route if needed.
If it was that obvious, you should have refused the vehicle. But my guess is that it wasn't and you only saw it later. Either way, it was also your error.

If they aren't willing to offer any financial rebate or a proper repair, ask Mazda Canada if you can seek an independent paint shop's advice on what can be done? Maybe they would allow that? I wouldn't bother with that dealer, and would make it known to the manager that you will NOT be servicing your vehicle there. The vast majority of their money is made after the sale of the vehicle. Apart from luxury dealers, the rest are a dime a dozen.
The best way to become ordinary is to follow the advice of ordinary people.
Unless you've actually tried something, your comments are virtually meaningless.
Condemnation before investigation is the highest form of ignorance
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15451 posts
5705 upvotes
betamaxman wrote:
Oct 10th, 2015 1:15 pm
I disagree with the poster who commented on a repaint being inferior to factory. In many cases I have found it much better with less orange peel, smoother and less prone to stone chips, and in most cases the shop will guarantee it for at least as long as you own the car.
The process and materials used to paint vehicles in a factory is far superior to that used by a local bodyshop. There is also much more human involvement in a local bodyshop, and humans are more likely to make errors than machines/robotics used in the factory.

I have no doubt there are some shops that can produce a better finish and give the customer a better product. But doing so would require going above and beyond book time for a project, and end up costing them money out of their pocket (when it comes to an insurance claim), let alone a warranty claim from a dealer. It would be rare in a typical scenario for a bodyshop to put in the level of effort required to exceed the factory.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9380 posts
2028 upvotes
update, hood was replaced this week with a hood from a new in stock vehicle on their lot. the match is perfect, luckily this color is a new color for 2016 so I know the hood had to come from a 2016 model car. so in the end all is good, it did take 3 trips to fix, and I live 35km from the dealership, so it cost me 200KM and a bit of time, but they shuttled me to work each day so that was good.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2323 posts
306 upvotes
Ancaster
rocking23nf wrote:
Oct 16th, 2015 9:52 pm
update, hood was replaced this week with a hood from a new in stock vehicle on their lot. the match is perfect, luckily this color is a new color for 2016 so I know the hood had to come from a 2016 model car. so in the end all is good, it did take 3 trips to fix, and I live 35km from the dealership, so it cost me 200KM and a bit of time, but they shuttled me to work each day so that was good.
Good that you stood your ground & got what you wanted in the end.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
7057 posts
1488 upvotes
Mississauga
rocking23nf wrote:
Good for you. Any paperwork exchanged with the hood exchange or just keys at the end of the day, no paper trail?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
9006 posts
656 upvotes
Toronto
Medicine1T4 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2015 1:01 am
wow peipple like you, make humans look stupid, wory about a scratch, get a life
lol.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20973 posts
10353 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
rocking23nf wrote:
Take my advice and park the car miles away from other cars at the mall/grocery store. All that's needed is a bit of wind and a soccer mom with a nothing to lose attitude and your new import motor carriage will be as good as destroyed
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2005
4681 posts
1985 upvotes
Toronto
Medicine1T4 wrote:
Your comment would carry more weight if you weren't trying to sell a jacket wearers use to pretend that they are masculine.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
26429 posts
12564 upvotes
Ottawa
Medicine1T4 wrote:
It's people like you who probably have no respect for others property and likely the type that swings the door open, hitting the car beside, leaving a dent or scratch and walk away as if it were nothing.

If you can't afford to purchase brand new vehicles to appreciate what OP, or other new vehicle owners feel, best to not speak.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7981 posts
1155 upvotes
Toronto
rocking23nf wrote:
While many believe you are anal about a scratch. Good that you won this battle.

Karma for Mazda for all the rust buckets they sold over the years and many customers who got no satisfaction.

If this did not work, another route I would ahve taken was to get as much money as you could from them.

Take it to a professional detailer, have the scratch fixed and C quartz the car.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9380 posts
2028 upvotes
gh05t wrote:
Oct 18th, 2015 11:00 am
While many believe you are anal about a scratch. Good that you won this battle.

Karma for Mazda for all the rust buckets they sold over the years and many customers who got no satisfaction.

If this did not work, another route I would ahve taken was to get as much money as you could from them.

Take it to a professional detailer, have the scratch fixed and C quartz the car.
not sure why people think a scratch on a new car is acceptable, would you buy a house with a broken window? I guess 35000$ is chump change to RFD users.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9380 posts
2028 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2015 9:18 pm
Good for you. Any paperwork exchanged with the hood exchange or just keys at the end of the day, no paper trail?
yes we got a copy of the work order.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9380 posts
2028 upvotes
Medicine1T4 wrote:
would you buy a new pair of jeans with a tear in them? A TV with dead pixels? do you even have a job to buy new things?