• Mar 3rd, 2016 12:13 am
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 31, 2009
418 posts
202 upvotes
Toronto

new to cat litters, need suggestions

I recently adopted a cat from the humane society, im new to cats, just wondering whats the best brand for cat litter and not too expensive? thank you!!!
14 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4100 posts
911 upvotes
Sask.
Congrats! We currently have two cats, and through the years with them and other cats, we've pretty much tried most of the litters out there.
Absolutely the best we have found is No Name Clumping Unscented litter - you can get 20kg bags for about $7 to 8. We get it at Real Canadian Wholesale, but other Loblaws stores should have it. There is some that comes in a jug, I don't know if it's exactly the same litter.

It clumps really well, so it's easily scoopable. Low dust, which is a bonus, and we find the cats don't track it out of the litter box.
No problems with stink either, since we scoop often and change it regularly.

Good luck with the kitteh! Pic and name?
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1837 posts
273 upvotes
Canada
any clumping and no scent litter would suffice.
make sure to scoop daily.
Aug 16, 2011
839 posts
246 upvotes
Kitchener
I really like odour buster, a bag is big enough for several weeks worth of litter changes, clumps super well, not very dusty.

Regardless of type (it's often trial and error to find what you and your cat like) I recommend using baking soda on the bottom of the pan to help with odour, as well I really like the litter locker 2 for holding scooped litter, the refills are expensive but if you keep the ring the refills come in you can just attach a garbage bag too it and use it that way.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11278 posts
1886 upvotes
To help with odor, I sprinkle some baking soda when ever I change the cat litter.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
834 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
I use Superstore litter also. It comes in a yellow box, 18 kg and has baking soda in it.
If you are buying a large container of it, make sure the opening is large enough to scoop the fresh litter out. Some containers such as the one at Costco have a small opening and you are forced to lift the heavy container and pour it out. The Superstore/Loblaws box opens up and is easy to scoop.
[OP]
Aug 31, 2009
418 posts
202 upvotes
Toronto
thank you so much everyone for your answers! will definitely give superstore cat litter a try!
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1693 posts
693 upvotes
Ontario
As others have said, try clumping vs. regular. It saves a lot of work. Always try to be aware of the dust, as even 99.9 per cent dust free seems dusty and caused respiratory problems.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4265 posts
622 upvotes
It's not really litter as it's a litter box but I like this one:
https://www.litter-robot.com/the-litter ... ubble.html

It's pricey but makes my life easier.
With 3 cats, I need to change the bag twice a week, with a normal litter box, I would have to manually clean the box every day.
Had one for about 4 years which recently kinda died, so I got a new one, they had an open box model for a bit cheaper.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
2115 posts
372 upvotes
Toronto
if not on a very tight budget, I would suggest use non-clay cat litter, there are quite a few you could try, World's Best, Pine, etc, unscented is better, see which one your cat likes.
Apr 10, 2011
576 posts
310 upvotes
We use no-name clumping litter most of the time, but I do find that the "brand name" stuff (like Maxx Scoop) does work better. But the savings, for us, overrides the better quality. We'll occasionally get Maxx Scoop if it's on sale though.

When we got our two kittens we tried using pine. One of the cats used it, but the other refused and would pee outside the box. So if you are going that route, just beware that your kitty may not take to it.

Good luck!! :)
Apr 18, 2005
428 posts
75 upvotes
As our cat got older, kitty litter showed up on her x-rays. She's a long haired cat and the litter would get stuck between the pads on her feet. By cleaning, she would actually ingest it and it got stuck in her system. The vet recommended a few brands that wouldn't be harmful (I think Yesterday's News was one) and would eventually pass through, but the damage was done with the clay litter. We used Swheat Scoop until she passed away, which was the least expensive of the options at the time.

If we ever got a long haired cat again, or if a lot of clay litter tracks out of the litter box, I'd use the Swheat Scoop.

Edit: The lowest prices in my area was Helmutt's Pet Supply on Queen in Toronto.
Aug 13, 2006
298 posts
33 upvotes
My vote is for Tidy Cats if you are looking for low budget or the World's best for more environmentally friendly (but more expensive) option. Kudos for adopting from the Humane society.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5408 posts
642 upvotes
Calgary
Try paper or pine type, those are natural and better than the clay type.