• Feb 13th, 2018 4:45 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 7, 2006
777 posts
6 upvotes

New Cineplex V.I.P. Theatre To Be Built in Markham, Ontario

Cineplex is going to built a new multiplex at Highway 407 & Warden Ave. The multiplex will have 3 V.I.P. rooms, an Ultra AVX auditorium and theatres with Real D technology, big improvement over the First Markham Place cinemas. The fate over the old First Markham Place cinemas is unclear yet.

www.marketwire.com/press-release/cinepl ... 558656.htm

Edit: I got confused with the Empire Theatres project and it has nothing to do with them since they are in a different part of the town.
120 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4912 posts
244 upvotes
Markham
Nice!

WIsh it was a bit closer to me though! We have a huge plot of land sitting empty by Middlefield and Steeles. I'd always hoped we'd get a thatre there so I could avoid going to STC.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
716 upvotes
So having dug themselves into a rather large financial hole 10 years ago, now they're digging an even deeper hole by building more of these mamoth structures? I wonder how they plan to pay this off.
[OP]
Jun 7, 2006
777 posts
6 upvotes
rageking wrote:
Sep 8th, 2011 6:53 pm
So having dug themselves into a rather large financial hole 10 years ago, now they're digging an even deeper hole by building more of these mamoth structures? I wonder how they plan to pay this off.

That was Loews Cineplex. This current Cineplex is successor to Galaxy Entertainment that bought the Canadian side of Loews Cineplex.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
1639 posts
162 upvotes
What is the VIP part?
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
[OP]
Jun 7, 2006
777 posts
6 upvotes
sixteen12 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2011 10:25 pm
What is the VIP part?

A quote from their press release:

VIP Cinemas provide a premium entertainment experience for guests aged 19 years and older. Each VIP Cinema auditorium features all stadium seating with expanded leg room, luxurious high back leather seats, side tables and reserved seating – enabling you to choose exactly where you want to sit. VIP services feature an array of food and beverages including an expanded range of appetizers which will be delivered to your seat via our in-seat service. Before or after the movie, there is a licensed lounge available exclusively to VIP Cinema guests.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
3644 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto
sixteen12 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2011 10:25 pm
What is the VIP part?

3x the already over priced drinks and "appetizers" :)
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
15795 posts
679 upvotes
Stouffville
2-3 years ago, i originally heard that they were gonna make a new theatre in Markham around hwy 48 and major mack...

personally, this would have been much better location as it would have been able to service the growing town of stouffville as well...

i miss the good old days of just walking or biking to markville mall to watch my movies... now i gotta drive to fairview most of the time (much rather take the extra 5-7 min drive to fairview instead of first markham)...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7556 posts
371 upvotes
Canada
grappos13 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2011 12:11 am
2-3 years ago, i originally heard that they were gonna make a new theatre in Markham around hwy 48 and major mack...

personally, this would have been much better location as it would have been able to service the growing town of stouffville as well...

i miss the good old days of just walking or biking to markville mall to watch my movies... now i gotta drive to fairview most of the time (much rather take the extra 5-7 min drive to fairview instead of first markham)...

They built it at Wardenn/7 area so that it would be in the heart of downtown Markham when it finally gets completed. They were probably thinking long term
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2005
2258 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hard_Taco wrote:
Sep 8th, 2011 10:30 pm
A quote from their press release:

VIP Cinemas provide a premium entertainment experience for guests aged 19 years and older. Each VIP Cinema auditorium features all stadium seating with expanded leg room, luxurious high back leather seats, side tables and reserved seating – enabling you to choose exactly where you want to sit. VIP services feature an array of food and beverages including an expanded range of appetizers which will be delivered to your seat via our in-seat service. Before or after the movie, there is a licensed lounge available exclusively to VIP Cinema guests.

One would assume to take opportunity of this VIP experience, we would have to pay more?
If this eliminates the rowdy high schoolers, I'm all for it
Heatware (6-0-0)

FS:
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
2551 posts
579 upvotes
Vaughan
This is awesome news, i'll have 3 good cineplex theaters near me when this is built :)

To those who don't know yet, you can still use 1000 scene pts for a free VIP movie, otherwise it will probably cost $18-$21 for the VIP (depending on how movie prices are in 2 years).
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
186 upvotes
grappos13 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2011 12:11 am

Why Fairview mall instead of SilverCity Richmond Hill in Yonge and 7? A lot easier to park than Fairview Mall and better theatre. Less high school kids who do not drive.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2004
3769 posts
180 upvotes
Markham
New theatre in Markham would awesome, its about time the fmp theatre gets replaced, that place is nasty, havent been there in years...
gman wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 1:23 am
Why Fairview mall instead of SilverCity Richmond Hill in Yonge and 7? A lot easier to park than Fairview Mall and better theatre. Less high school kids who do not drive.
imo...Fairview Mall is easier to park than Richmond Hill because at times (especially in the winter) that parking lot gets packed to the point there are no spots in the lot and no one about to leave, there are a couple ocassions where I even had to wait for spots by Indigo :facepalm: , at least Fairview you wont run out of parking space and more chance ofpeople leaving when the lot is packed. But overall I do prefer Richmond Hill over Fairview because its a larger theatre and its better kept.