• Feb 13th, 2018 4:45 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
cloakster wrote: I'm hoping that since the theater was built from the ground up that the screen size, picture quality, and sound quality will all be top notch. We'll see on friday :)
I hope it is good for you and everyone who is excited about it. :)
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Aug 16, 2011
243 posts
154 upvotes
TORONTO
Does this place have a real imax screen like Scotiabank? It's sort of disappointing that they built this and don't have a single ultraAVX auditorium...
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2014
1255 posts
241 upvotes
Burrowborough
Skyra22 wrote: Does this place have a real imax screen like Scotiabank? It's sort of disappointing that they built this and don't have a single ultraAVX auditorium...
Skipping the fact that "real" is a very controversial term in regards to IMAX screens; then yes the Cineplex Markham & VIP has an IMAX screen. The Markham IMAX has 12 rows of 27 seats; while the Sccotiabank IMAX has 11 rows of 40 seats.

BTW this weekend's hot ticket for a date - a pair of seats in the VIP for Furious 7 - are almost sold out for some screenings.

++++++++++++

On a peripheral note; the exclusive reign of the Cineplex Scotiabank Toronto theatre as the world's only venue for the IMAX laser projector is ending this week as the TCL Chinese Theatre in LA becomes the second installation of the system.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2014
1255 posts
241 upvotes
Burrowborough
There's a double Scene Points promotion when you buy a ticket at the Cineplex Markham & VIP theatre from April 3rd - 17th.

(That's equivalent to a $5 discount on your next trip to a weekend screening at the VIP.)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7800 posts
1611 upvotes
Toronto
whistlepig wrote: There's a double Scene Points promotion when you buy a ticket at the Cineplex Markham & VIP theatre from April 3rd - 17th.

(That's equivalent to a $5 discount on your next trip to a weekend screening at the VIP.)
It's a targeted email.

I have several accounts and only one account has that promo.

There is another promo that is for selected emails.

Watch furious 7, Jurassic world and terminator in imax and get 1000 bonus points. Or watch any two in imax to get 700 bonus points.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
430 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Nice theatre. Went yesterday on grand opening day.

Building is not done, as there is plenty of dust and two huge empty spaces on the 2nd floor where the theatre is located. They'll most likely be restaurants I'm thinking.

Parking may be an issue, as I feel like there's not enough spots, even with the underground lot.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
CSAgent wrote: Nice theatre. Went yesterday on grand opening day.

Building is not done, as there is plenty of dust and two huge empty spaces on the 2nd floor where the theatre is located. They'll most likely be restaurants I'm thinking.

Parking may be an issue, as I feel like there's not enough spots, even with the underground lot.
Did you watch in their IMAX theater? Is it not as big as the other ones?
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3678 posts
820 upvotes
Jimboski wrote: Did you watch in their IMAX theater? Is it not as big as the other ones?
It was slightly smaller than an avx screen. Imax at hwy7/weston screen is huge, markham one is a joke. Waste of monwy, better off in a normal avx theatre. Even the seating knee gap is small.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
2881 posts
5135 upvotes
Engi-Nir wrote: It was slightly smaller than an avx screen. Imax at hwy7/weston screen is huge, markham one is a joke. Waste of monwy, better off in a normal avx theatre. Even the seating knee gap is small.
So you recommend the Vaughan theatre? I want to pre-book my Avengers tickets. Was thinking either new Birchmount or Vaughan location.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3678 posts
820 upvotes
Tilter wrote: So you recommend the Vaughan theatre? I want to pre-book my Avengers tickets. Was thinking either new Birchmount or Vaughan location.
Yes Vaughan is better
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
1075 posts
668 upvotes
Jimboski wrote: Did you watch in their IMAX theater? Is it not as big as the other ones?
Engi-Nir wrote: It was slightly smaller than an avx screen. Imax at hwy7/weston screen is huge, markham one is a joke. Waste of monwy, better off in a normal avx theatre. Even the seating knee gap is small.
I'm not sure I would call this a waste of money. In my opinion, the screen is incredibly big. Bigger than avx for sure. I have watched in several IMAX theatres in GTA (Scotiabank, Vaughan, and Square 1), and yes those are the best of all the IMAX screens in the city for sure.
A good point is made here though, as to why all IMAX screens cant just be the same size (the most obvious reason is due to building architecture). But when they are creating a new theatre from scratch, they missed an opportunity here.

Here is a picture I snapped of the Markham IMAX theatre when it was empty. I had to stand at the absolute very back far corner with my back pressed to the wall to fit in the whole screen, and also some seats to give some size perspective:

[IMG][IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/2wlyhl4.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
1075 posts
668 upvotes
I will add that I am waiting to make a fair assessment of this IMAX screen once we are finally able to watch a movie that was filmed in true IMAX (65mm or 70mm) format, like Interstellar or Dark Knight.
I believe Star Wars Episode 7 has some scenes shot with true IMAX 65mm, and so I hope they will project the movie in that true format as well.
I expect to watch that movie at least 3 times in theatres, so I will do some comparisons at Scotiabank, Square 1 and Markham IMAX for sure.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7800 posts
1611 upvotes
Toronto
Is the food in the VIP theatre more expensive than the outside concessions counter for popcorn/pop? If so, can you buy food from outside the counter and bing it in? LOL
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
430 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
I had no idea people were so passionate about IMAX and their sizes. You'd think every movie being made now is all in IMAX......

I was actually working there at Coliseum Mississauga when the IMAX theatre and the two extra regular screens were built. It's unfortunate that this Markham theatre was unable to utilize "true" IMAX screen size, though I'm guessing it was less of a Cineplex decision not to built it to true spec. Perhaps the building developer didn't give in to the request of Cineplex. Just in case in the future the theatre may close and the developer wants to lease it to another tenant.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
PCDawg wrote: Is the food in the VIP theatre more expensive than the outside concessions counter for popcorn/pop? If so, can you buy food from outside the counter and bring it in? LOL
That's a good question.

Can anyone here answer this...or confirm if you can bring food from the regular concession counters into the VIP auditoriums (since they have their own Bar/Food counter in VIP too...but with more expensive items)?
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
399 upvotes
Scorpionsy wrote: That's a good question.

Can anyone here answer this...or confirm if you can bring food from the regular concession counters into the VIP auditoriums (since they have their own Bar/Food counter in VIP too...but with more expensive items)?
The menu is different in that it has other types of food like salads and poutine, but I don't find the price of popcorn and pop to be more. The only reason it 'costs' more is because you feel inclined to tip the staff that bends down and takes your order.

I haven't seen anyone bring in their own food/drinks. I don't imagine they'll stop you, but ordering is part of the experience, and it's extremely nice not to have to line up for popcorn. Plus they really do have other food/drink options.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
399 upvotes
Spiderpal93 wrote: Doesn't look like there are full recliner seats for VIP like Don Mills location. Not worth it IMO if it doesn't have full recliner.
This!

Why can't all VIP theaters have recliner seats? I actually feel like the regular couches are too upright. I watched The Hobbit on a full recliner and I practically laid there to watch for 3 hours which was the best experience ever.
Apr 21, 2013
185 posts
13 upvotes
Grimsby
CSAgent wrote: I had no idea people were so passionate about IMAX and their sizes. You'd think every movie being made now is all in IMAX......
Yes it is a hot topic and people are passionate (both positive and negative about IMAX). 90% of the movie population who attend IMAX have no problem with the new retrofit cinemas. YES, Coliseum, Colossus, and the Scotiabank are far, far superior than the rest and 70mm is the best. But IMAX like the one at Markham does not really compete with other IMAX theaters, it competes with AVX and regular cinemas and IMO IMAX is far superior than the AVX Cinemas, even tho AVX has Dolby Atmos which is supposed to be very good.

The IMAX cinema like the one at Coliseum are rarely if ever built anymore.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2014
1255 posts
241 upvotes
Burrowborough
ThePage wrote: IMO IMAX is far superior than the AVX Cinemas, even tho AVX has Dolby Atmos which is supposed to be very good.
Have you seen a movie in an AVX theatre?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)