Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
10963 posts
1978 upvotes
Toronto
kmarcie wrote:
May 22nd, 2015 3:04 pm
This!

Why can't all VIP theaters have recliner seats? I actually feel like the regular couches are too upright. I watched The Hobbit on a full recliner and I practically laid there to watch for 3 hours which was the best experience ever.
Agreed...VIP is not worth the admission price just for a wider seat...it's only good for those who want to get served food...which I don't care about.

I will take IMAX over VIP anytime of the day...bigger screen...better sound...and still comfy leather seats with IMAX and Ultra AVX screens.
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
10963 posts
1978 upvotes
Toronto
Mr_Fanta wrote:
May 23rd, 2015 6:31 pm
Don't want to make any generalizations, but I would be blown away if I ever met a girl/woman who was "passionate" about picture and sound quality in our beloved cinemas in the GTA as we are. I would start laughing if I ever heard a girl discussing IMAX vs. UltraAVX Dolby Atmos. Our female counterparts, just don't care nearly as much about these things as us GUYS! The only place I could imagine meeting one of these cool nerdy chicks would be at a Comic-Con or FanExpo here. lol
ThePage wrote:
May 24th, 2015 1:02 am
I agree, I tried explaining 70mm IMAX vs Digital IMAX vs AVX to my other half....she always asked me to leave the room...Then I tried with Dolby Atmos and she wondered what planet I came from.
Most women will not get such discussions because they are casual viewers...not film buffs or audio/video fans.

The same thing happened when Plasma and LCD TVs and HDTV content started coming out a few years ago...and women were like..."I can't tell the difference in the picture or sound". They really could not tell the difference between an HD and SD picture quality when watching TV. :lol:
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Apr 21, 2013
185 posts
13 upvotes
Grimsby
Scorpionsy wrote:
May 24th, 2015 4:34 am
Agreed...VIP is not worth the admission price just for a wider seat...it's only good for those who want to get served food...which I don't care about.

I will take IMAX over VIP anytime of the day...bigger screen...better sound...and still comfy leather seats with IMAX and Ultra AVX screens.
I do not agree with you completely. VIP can be worth it for certain movies, I find the idea that it is reserved seating, no kids allowed (huge plus), alcohol if I am in the mood, reserved seating, smaller crowd, a crowd that has the chance of taking movies and the experience a little more seriously, and a more intimate setting worth the price. The movie that I want to see in VIP is Aloha and there are a few others.
Scorpionsy wrote:
May 24th, 2015 4:36 am
Most women will not get such discussions because they are casual viewers...not film buffs or audio/video fans.

The same thing happened when Plasma and LCD TVs and HDTV content started coming out a few years ago...and women were like..."I can't tell the difference in the picture or sound". They really could not tell the difference between an HD and SD picture quality when watching TV. :lol:
My other half can tell the difference between laserdisc, dvd and bluray.....she can't tell the difference between Netflix HD and bluray.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1559 posts
397 upvotes
Started trying out the VIP Cinemas in the GTA last month in June for the very first time. Now I'm somewhat hooked on these types of theatres and will continue using them when I've accumulated 1000 Scene points or go on discount Tuesdays when it is $14.99. This summer I've already been to the VIP Cinemas three times already. I'll keep using VIP Cinemas if I'm trying to impress my dates! LOL

I'd like an honest answer from fellow RFD movie-goers here? Do you usually tip the wait staff for your refreshments from the concession like popcorn, drinks etc. to your seat? If I was ordering a dinner from the menu I would surely leave a gratuity when paying my bill. However, snacks I'm a bit reluctant if I should or shouldn't because of what I witnessed the three times I was in VIP? I sort of spied on the people sitting next to me and not once did I see anyone tip the server. I watched like a hawk! :D Let's hear from you people!

When paying in cash or credit card the option of leaving a tip is very easy. I'm guessing the people that didn't leave tips was because they were using their debit cards to pay.
Jun 5, 2010
504 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
I really want to check out this new theatre. I've driven by it a few tune on my way to the Pan Am venue.

As for tipping, if it's over $10, I'd say ya. Personally I always get a glass of ice water (free), and a beef poutine for dinner. It's a cheap dinner, but filling. And always tip. I find the wait staff have always been great. I don't get just snacks, so it's hard to specifically answer your question, like I said before, probably ya it it was over $10.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
6815 posts
2640 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Jul 17th, 2015 3:32 pm
Started trying out the VIP Cinemas in the GTA last month in June for the very first time. Now I'm somewhat hooked on these types of theatres and will continue using them when I've accumulated 1000 Scene points or go on discount Tuesdays when it is $14.99. This summer I've already been to the VIP Cinemas three times already. I'll keep using VIP Cinemas if I'm trying to impress my dates! LOL

I'd like an honest answer from fellow RFD movie-goers here? Do you usually tip the wait staff for your refreshments from the concession like popcorn, drinks etc. to your seat? If I was ordering a dinner from the menu I would surely leave a gratuity when paying my bill. However, snacks I'm a bit reluctant if I should or shouldn't because of what I witnessed the three times I was in VIP? I sort of spied on the people sitting next to me and not once did I see anyone tip the server. I watched like a hawk! :D Let's hear from you people!

When paying in cash or credit card the option of leaving a tip is very easy. I'm guessing the people that didn't leave tips was because they were using their debit cards to pay.
The time that I did buy food & drink at VIP I tipped $1. I would tip no more than $1 regardless of how much I order as it's not difficult for the server to bring it from the kitchen to my seat. They only serve you once and it's not like they check back in with you during the movie. People probably tip the bartender at a club/bar more than a $1 to serve a drink. lol...

I suppose you could also tip nothing as the ticket is already $25 which supposedly includes payment for this service.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13255 posts
2152 upvotes
Toronto
Scorpionsy wrote:
May 24th, 2015 4:34 am
Agreed...VIP is not worth the admission price
I'm always willing to pay a few dollars more for a lot less people. (far less than half the people)

It's almost like a private viewing. Not quite, but darn close! Those theatres are often mostly empty because no one wants to pay the higher price.
Even with every seat filled, it still feels like almost no one there compared to a regular theatre.
Jun 5, 2010
504 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2015 12:11 pm
I'm always willing to pay a few dollars more for a lot less people. (far less than half the people)

It's almost like a private viewing. Not quite, but darn close! Those theatres are often mostly empty because no one wants to pay the higher price.
Even with every seat filled, it still feels like almost no one there compared to a regular theatre.
I'm surprised that most of your viewings have been empty. Most of mine have been full. I typically go to yonge and dundas. Sometimes if I try and book a new movie only the day before, it's basically already sold out.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2099 posts
146 upvotes
Mississauga
um....what is CPX Tuesday?
what is CPX stand for?
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1484 posts
281 upvotes
killer007 wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2015 2:30 pm
um....what is CPX Tuesday?
what is CPX stand for?
Cineplex Tuesday?

I like VIP theater - especially with full recliner. I watched the Hobbit in it and for a 3 hour movie, the comfy chair is worth every penny.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
3875 posts
340 upvotes
Scarborough
Not of fan of the Markham VIP theatre.... no lazy boy chairs.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
2351 posts
369 upvotes
Ajax
Wait a minute? Your F&^&@^# telling me that Cineplex did not put in a proper 70 mm IMAX screen? WTF!? I thought that was the whole point of this location being in a large building. What a joke. Right along there with the BS "IMAX" being advertised by Landmark Cinemas in Whitby.

Very disappointing. Glad you guys shared as I was going to get my star wars tickets here. Guess not. Gotta love the drive from Oshawa to Vaghan to see a proper IMAX experience.

Epic failure on Cineplex and IMAX for allowing it.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2004
3770 posts
180 upvotes
Markham
mrtvgame wrote:
Oct 19th, 2015 1:13 am
Wait a minute? Your F&^&@^# telling me that Cineplex did not put in a proper 70 mm IMAX screen? WTF!? I thought that was the whole point of this location being in a large building. What a joke. Right along there with the BS "IMAX" being advertised by Landmark Cinemas in Whitby.

Very disappointing. Glad you guys shared as I was going to get my star wars tickets here. Guess not. Gotta love the drive from Oshawa to Vaghan to see a proper IMAX experience.

Epic failure on Cineplex and IMAX for allowing it.
There's no way they'd put a 70mm IMAX screen there (or even fit one in for that matter). I go to this theatre quite often now, it's not really that big, they don't even have AVX here and aside from the IMAX theatre, the other ones are fairly small (compared to Silvercity Richmond Hill). Even considering that it's not a 70mm IMAX screen, I still watch IMAX movies here, because I want to have reserved seats on Tuesdays for popular movies and it's only $1-2 more than Ultra AVX. As long as the movie does not have scenes shot in IMAX, I don't mind seeing it on a liemax screen.
For something like Star Wars, it's worth the drive!
Banned
Oct 9, 2015
1313 posts
243 upvotes
ON
It's unusual that this one particular Cineplex location has a special requirement for ticket pick-up:
To pick up your on-line or mobile tickets at this location, you must present the credit card, or your Scene card used during the purchase.
Usually you simply self-scan the barcode from your smartphone or smartwatch.
Nov 2, 2015
419 posts
135 upvotes
Markham
do we need to pay tip to people who bring my drink or fries?