Home & Garden

New condo purchase, what should the upgrade incentive ($2000) be used on?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2016 8:43 pm
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--

New condo purchase, what should the upgrade incentive ($2000) be used on?

Hey everyone, so with a new condo build, the pricing of upgrades is unknown until it's closer to the finished state apparently. Which is fine.

So knowing that, my father (and one of my friends) are both contractors and both said don't even use the upgrades for the floors, light fixtures or anything like that, just use it on the countertop and/or cabinets since everything else can be done for relatively cheap by my father and friend (who won't be charging me labour).

Does that sound like a wise move? I can only assume a nice countertop would end up being the entire $2000 if not more...

Where would you use the upgrade incentives (or where did you use them if you have done this?)
4 replies
Sep 5, 2016
19 posts
5 upvotes
Granite or quartz counter will cost you more than 2000. But yeah you can use the money toward that. However you can even do counter tops after. I would focus on more structural things. Things you can't do with family and friends later.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
krazychic18 wrote: Granite or quartz counter will cost you more than 2000. But yeah you can use the money toward that. However you can even do counter tops after. I would focus on more structural things. Things you can't do with family and friends later.
What would some of the structural things be? It's not a huge countertop to begin with and I'll have to see what prices are come that time to choose anyways
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1803 posts
851 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
XtremeModder wrote:
krazychic18 wrote: Granite or quartz counter will cost you more than 2000. But yeah you can use the money toward that. However you can even do counter tops after. I would focus on more structural things. Things you can't do with family and friends later.
What would some of the structural things be? It's not a huge countertop to begin with and I'll have to see what prices are come that time to choose anyways
Anything electrical or plumbing would be easier to not do afterwards(undercabinet lighting, rain showerhead,etc). Maybe upgrade windows to have more of them open if possible
Sep 5, 2016
19 posts
5 upvotes
You could even focus on kitchen and bathroom since people say that will help you sell later. Upgrading the tiles to higher levels as well as kitchen cabinets. Make the cabinets go all the way to the ceiling if the don't already. Things like that, in addition to what the previous poster said about plumbing and electrical options are good choices I would think.