592 upvotes
Global Village

New Costco Business format store launching in Scarborough

http://www.costcobusinesscentre.ca/

Grand opening is on March 31st at 7am

50 THERMOS ROAD SCARBOROUGH, ON
AT WARDEN AND EGLINTON

Open to all Costco members.

Thousands of products unique to Costco Business Centre and are not available at traditional warehouses.

Business hours:
Monday to Friday: 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday: 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Last edited by scoper on Dec 14th, 2016 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
45 replies
Mar 17, 2009
131 posts
23 upvotes
Mississauga
At Warden and Eglinton, on Thermos Rd.
Sep 24, 2004
380 posts
36 upvotes
Scarborough
bratman wrote:
Dec 14th, 2016 11:23 am
At Warden and Eglinton, on Thermos Rd.
Phew.... I'm glad it's not my regular Warden location. Personally that would be bad to loose the apparel, optical, tire and pharmacy. But another one around the corner is welcome.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18523 posts
3655 upvotes
Thornhill
Oh, I had thought it was going to be located in Thorncliffe (Overlea Blvd), but I guess that area isn't Scarborough.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14117 posts
2350 upvotes
Toronto
My wife saw a sign for it, that it was coming soon. I think it may be the old Rona location IIRC.
sudesingh wrote:
Dec 14th, 2016 12:16 pm
Phew.... I'm glad it's not my regular Warden location. Personally that would be bad to loose the apparel, optical, tire and pharmacy. But another one around the corner is welcome.
coriolis wrote:
Dec 14th, 2016 12:28 pm
Oh, I had thought it was going to be located in Thorncliffe (Overlea Blvd), but I guess that area isn't Scarborough.
We've been told that's a new regular Costco. But we were told that last year and haven't heard any progress on that since.

That Warden and Canadiana location is a total nightmare. I dislike going there. Not only is it really busy, a good chunk of the customers are just rude.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
3690 posts
1244 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote:
Dec 14th, 2016 1:17 pm
That Warden and Canadiana location is a total nightmare. I dislike going there. Not only is it really busy, a good chunk of the customers are just rude.
Well, that's how your standard Costco customer normally is... unfortunately.
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1439 posts
365 upvotes
Brampton, ON
roblombardi wrote:
Dec 14th, 2016 1:23 pm
Well, that's how your standard Costco customer normally is... unfortunately.
Yup, costco customers are definitely worse than walmart customers.
Feb 22, 2016
783 posts
399 upvotes
Best quote from the article:

“They come in very early in the morning, they get their stuff and they don’t want Sally Homemaker getting ahead of them and buying lightbulbs."

Come on, what he is really saying is business owners are tired of dealing with the certain demographic that ruins the Costco experience especially at Scarborough and Markham (and to a lesser extent Billy Bishop). So Costco needs to introduce a format that hopefully won't draw that demographic.... The fact this new location is so close to Ellesmere/Warden speaks volumes -- normally in retail you want your newest location to be equidistant to your current stores to minimize cannibalization.

Won't matter. They'll still bring their SUVs with grandma, grandpa, mom, dad, and the entire litter... Maybe the lack of $1.50 hot dogs (and more importantly the condiments to hoard/steal) will keep them away...
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Dec 14th, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 14, 2010
367 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
Here's a tweet from the Scarborough Mirror last week

"Costco to open its first Business Centre in Canada in #Scarborough, in the former Zellers near Warden and Eglinton; breaks ground Dec. 14."
Sep 24, 2004
380 posts
36 upvotes
Scarborough
If you do a google search on "costco business center scarborough", the address comes up as

50 Thermos Rd, Scarborough, ON
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
13645 posts
1207 upvotes
Toronto
It's true, sometimes I'm trying to be a quick shopper and moving at the Warden & Ellesmere Costco is near impossible.
I could see it being even worse if you're a small business owner.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4665 upvotes
I really hope they expand Costco Business to the West.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11229 posts
1547 upvotes
Toronto
Costco must be very confident in their new Scarborough, Ontario store. It's opening up right next door to Staples on Eglinton east. (where the Zellers used to be)
Here's the Toronto Star article:
https://www.thestar.com/business/2016/1 ... n-gta.html

Here's their website: http://www.costcobusinesscentre.ca/ (Opening March 31, 2017)

I wonder how well they'll do up against Staples...Or maybe I should say I wonder what Staples will do now? lol
Last edited by playnicee1 on Mar 19th, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14081 posts
2481 upvotes
Toronto
Smart idea. It will do very very well. Costco is a cash cow.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4665 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 9:02 pm
I wonder how well they'll do up against Staples...Or maybe I should say I wonder what Staples will do now? lol
Assuming it's anything like the US Business stores, it's not even a contest.
Staples doesn't sell meat. The only place they're "competing" (and I use that lightly) is office stuff.

While I have no idea what other cash and carry places are in Ontario, someone like Wholesale Club is the one to be worried.

Also I wish they'd come out West.
There's one in Seattle area but it's still far.
Plus lugging a bunch of business stuff over the border isn't fun.