• Jul 19th, 2017 8:42 pm
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11331 posts
1580 upvotes
Toronto
coriolis wrote:
Dec 14th, 2016 12:28 pm
Oh, I had thought it was going to be located in Thorncliffe (Overlea Blvd), but I guess that area isn't Scarborough.
The only information I have regarding the Overlea blvd location is that they wanted to include a gas station, but that idea was shot down.
As a result, Costco may be rejecting the plan.
What surprises me is that they go ahead with a Costco Business in a former Zellers store but they did not choose to put one in the former target space in the Thorncliff mall...at least temporarily until they get things worked out across the street.
(assuming that the two level Target there has the same or similar square footage as the one level Zellers on Thermos road... ???)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7016 posts
993 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 10:26 pm
The only information I have regarding the Overlea blvd location is that they wanted to include a gas station, but that idea was shot down.
What surprises me is that they go ahead with a Costco Business in a former Zellers store but they did not choose to put one in the former target space in the Thorncliff mall...at least temporarily until they get things worked out across the street.
(assuming that the two level Target there has the same or similar square footage as the one level Zellers on Thermos road... ???)

The former target space was 139 768 sq ft over two floor according to wiki and the Eglinton location has 120 000 sq ft according to toronto star.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2197 posts
616 upvotes
Global Village
Updated thread with grand opening info, location and hours. They have a distinct business Costco website.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2002
1530 posts
111 upvotes
Scarborough
playnicee1 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 10:26 pm
Perhaps they chose the Scarborough location because it's a standalone building not attached to a mall, with it's own parking and also because it's all on one floor.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11331 posts
1580 upvotes
Toronto
TRK9 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 4:23 pm
Perhaps they chose the Scarborough location because it's a standalone building not attached to a mall.
Excellent point.
It gives them the freedom to not do mall hours.
Given that hours of operation, as of March 31, 2017 will be:
"Business-friendly hours"
"Earlier, more convenient shopping hours."
Monday to Friday: 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday: 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Along with the freedom to be closed Sundays while malls might dictate longer hours and force them to be open Sunday.
Dec 1, 2005
155 posts
Markham, ON
Anyone know of any promos or anything happening on opening day? Will it madness - boxing day like?
Sep 26, 2010
572 posts
60 upvotes
TRK9 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 4:23 pm
Perhaps they chose the Scarborough location because it's a standalone building not attached to a mall, with it's own parking and also because it's all on one floor.
It's a really nice plaza, and there's lots of small businesses around. The area is mostly industrial, wide roads running parallel to eglinton and warden. Basically perfect for business shoppers. Many residents near the current Ellesmere location down Warden to this location appear quite affluent these days. Last 10 years have been excellent for this area, commercially.
Jan 3, 2017
202 posts
153 upvotes
I was at Costco today and inquired about the new business costco and talked to an employee who was familiar with it as he was training there and will be transferring there on opening weekend.

Not sure if this is new to anyone but it was to me. Apparently the entire concept is different, not just the products. The store will be staffed by "pickers" who will grab the stuff for you after you hand them the list of what you want. Some department like frozen foods do not allow you to grab the product yourself. Staff hands you a jacket and you proceed to walk into their walk in coolers. You write down the product number of what you want and hand the list to the "picker" who will then grab and load your items for you into a cart.

I wasn't able to talk much as it was really busy but from what I understood the entire store is like that. Some of it is self serve but if you wanted you could walk around the entire store and write down your entire order on a list, hand it in and wait while they pick it for you or you can pay for it and have it delivered the next day.

I was also led to believe that any non business owner would not be impressed. The store isn't slightly geared towards business owners with a mix of products fer home and business like a "Wholesale club store", it's almost entirely devoted to business owners so pretty much everything is in bulk. Not bulk as in how the traditional Costco sells now but bulk quantities that would only suit a business owner. 4 Litre jugs of condiments like relish/mustard is the example I was given.

I'm super excited and my wife thinks I'm nuts, lol.

I don't care how crazy it's going to be on opening day, I'l be there!
Feb 22, 2016
850 posts
445 upvotes
Just watch this video and you should know right away if the Business Centre is for you:

And this blogger took photos similar to our two RFD buddies in Montreal do every Monday:

https://costcoconnoisseur.blogspot.ca/2 ... enter.html

My impression from that video and that blog is, Business Centres are like combining Russell-Hendrix and Gordon Food Service Store, injecting them with steroids, then shoving the two monsters into a Costco building.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2197 posts
616 upvotes
Global Village
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 12:49 am
Just watch this video and you should know right away if the Business Centre is for you:

And this blogger took photos similar to our two RFD buddies in Montreal do every Monday:

https://costcoconnoisseur.blogspot.ca/2 ... enter.html

My impression from that video and that blog is, Business Centres are like combining Russell-Hendrix and Gordon Food Service Store, injecting them with steroids, then shoving the two monsters into a Costco building.
Will still check it out but from the looks of things it's not for me.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4671 upvotes
scoper wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 3:30 pm
Will still check it out but from the looks of things it's not for me.
Most of the consumable goods are case lots, but there are things like kitchen stuff.
Cheap knives (that are actually pretty decent), commercial grade tools, pans, etc. in reasonable quantities.
Also if you buy whole primals they (well the US at least) had a decent selection.

Food though is basically a non-starter unless you have a family of 12.
Dec 15, 2013
852 posts
179 upvotes
C A N A D A
I went and checked out the open house tonight with a friend who had a pass since it opens tomorrow morning at 7am.

One of the employees said only 15% of the products found in store are found also in regular costcos. The number is a bit higher right now as Costco gets more vendors on board with the new format in Canada.

Some examples are: huge industrial appliances, business supplies (duh!), huge volumes of produce & meats. The candy section reminiscent of the 1990's Price Club days, They definitely have items that non business people could buy. There's a few things for the price I would buy in bulk of that size to save money that a regular Costco doesn't carry.

One of the managers there said they expect to open a Costco Business Center in West Mississauga at the old rona at Winston Churchill/401 in 2018-2019 depending on how well this new concept goes.

I would definitely give the store a thumbs up and recommend any business or regular Costco shopper to take a look.