Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9316 posts
3542 upvotes
Ottawa
Ottomaddox wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 9:52 pm
That sounds more like Walmart.
Yes..or Loblaws with it’s new ‘handling fee’ suppliers have to pay to get their own products unloaded. Or Sobey’s and Metro being investigated by the CB for squeezing suppliers. What about 5years ago when it came to light that the convenience store conglomerate Mac’s/Quickie/Couche Tard/Circle K or whatever they were called at that time were also strong arming suppliers? Sears (RIP) also did the exact same thing 10 years ago at the height of the exchange rate and cross border shopping threatening suppliers to lower costs or risk being boycotted.

...but yeah let’s all blame big evil Costco and patronize the above.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6931 posts
1071 upvotes
Costco is and has always been a price club, they search high and low finding deals for their own Members and for that they do care, enough that them have been keeping a fixed margin on everything they sell since creation. They also pay some of the highest wages in retail and the lowest dispense fee for pharmacy in Canada.

From what you said, it sounds like you are thinking about other organizations since, I know for a fact that a lot of small businesses buy their supplies from.... Costco.
Poutinesauce wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 5:52 pm
It's both hilarious and sad at the same time that so many people are free shills for a giant retailer, and consider membership to said organization as some sort of status, one that likes to portray itself as humane and compassionate, and yet has driven countless small businesses and suppliers to bankruptcy by bleeding them dry.

There are bigger issues in the world than Costco membership policies. I really don't understand why so many people are getting overjoyed because one retailer, that doesn't care a iota about them, has decided to be even more bigheaded and arrogant than it already is.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
75 posts
42 upvotes
Doing all of one's shopping in any one store is a mistake. Period. Moreover I am able to find 80%+ of what I need elsewhere than Costco and for less money. Costco has some great deals, Loblaw has some great deals, Food Basics has some great deals... It really pays to shop around. Also, for a household of one or two people, Costco isn't worth it in most cases. If you spend a $1,000 per year at Costco, then everything you bought actually cost you 7% more than what you paid ($60 membership + hst). The saving might not be that great and/or worth your time. But if your time is worth nothing, than by all means follow the herd.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
1990 posts
974 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
lotus88888 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 1:05 pm
Beware of this new gift card policy - Non Members are allowed only 2 separate purchases per year on a card and now need temporary membership 1st.
I received two Costco gift cards for Christmas, so last night I went to the Burlington ON store. I breezed by the greeter who smiled, but asked no questions. I filled a Prescription for the 1st time there and again, did not have to offer any explanation ... it was done as in any other drug store ... ie) no special "no-member code"while paying.

I got to the check out ... after everything had been rung through, I gave my gift card so the cashier called up a gruff bouncer-like woman who told me I needed to sign up for a temporary membership 1st. Apparently, this has been the policy for 6 months, that Non Members are allowed only 2 separate purchases per year with a gift card (controlled by computer at Membership Desk ) Then the card is confiscated and any outstanding cash on the card is returned.
1) It's old news.
2) Yay.

Noone's making you shop there, and it's certainly not for everyone, but I'm always amazed by people who say things like...
I was never enough of a 'Costco fan' to join, but this completely turned me off.
...yeah...I'm thinking you were never gonna join anyway, so no biggie.

It's like me saying "Scarlett Johansson never replies to my Emails, so I'm completely turned off and she has no chance with me...ever.
Last edited by ALLCAPS on Jan 12th, 2018 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
1990 posts
974 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Poutinesauce wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 5:52 pm
It's both hilarious and sad at the same time that so many people are free shills for a giant retailer
I think it's both hilarious and sad at the same time that people think just because someone says something positive about a company in a public forum, others have to place upon (unoriginal and unimaginative) negative labels.
and consider membership to said organization as some sort of status,
I don't think anyone is saying that at all.
one that likes to portray itself as humane and compassionate, and yet has driven countless small businesses and suppliers to bankruptcy by bleeding them dry.
...and you have a list of this 'countless' number of small businesses and suppliers to support your claim?
There are bigger issues in the world than Costco membership policies. I really don't understand why so many people are getting overjoyed because one retailer, that doesn't care a iota about them, has decided to be even more bigheaded and arrogant than it already is.
I don't think it has anything to do with an organisation being bigheaded and arrogant. I think what it has to do with is more realising that people are questioning the need to get memberships when there is a way to get an essentially free membership, and plugging that loophole to make paying members happy.

Sure, it increases their bottom line I'm sure, but it does also make at least some of the membership happy, so I guess they do care a small iota about us.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
1990 posts
974 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
NumberThree wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 11:37 pm
The saving might not be that great and/or worth your time. But if your time is worth nothing, than by all means follow the herd.
...considering the membership of Costco is a relatively small share of the Canadian market, I guess you mean 'follow the heard' to somewhere like Loblaws?
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
75 posts
42 upvotes
ALLCAPS wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 2:21 am
...considering the membership of Costco is a relatively small share of the Canadian market, I guess you mean 'follow the heard' to somewhere like Loblaws?
No, I didn't mean that. As far as I can tell, Costco is the only store with such a large herd of sheep. I would say Sam's Club is number two. But the herd is much, much smaller. The herd mentality is also alive and well at Walmart, but one doesn't need the illusion of being part of a special club. Membership fee at Costco is a tax on idiocy.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6931 posts
1071 upvotes
You are right, I now feel like an idiot, this spring when I see my rebate cheques from Costco which usually is more than my membership fee, and I will refuse to cash it. This would show Costco, they should stop wasting my time and money....
NumberThree wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 11:37 pm
Doing all of one's shopping in any one store is a mistake. Period. Moreover I am able to find 80%+ of what I need elsewhere than Costco and for less money. Costco has some great deals, Loblaw has some great deals, Food Basics has some great deals... It really pays to shop around. Also, for a household of one or two people, Costco isn't worth it in most cases. If you spend a $1,000 per year at Costco, then everything you bought actually cost you 7% more than what you paid ($60 membership + hst). The saving might not be that great and/or worth your time. But if your time is worth nothing, than by all means follow the herd.
Last edited by hdom on Jan 12th, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2776 posts
1397 upvotes
NumberThree wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 8:24 am
No, I didn't mean that. As far as I can tell, Costco is the only store with such a large herd of sheep. I would say Sam's Club is number two. But the herd is much, much smaller. The herd mentality is also alive and well at Walmart, but one doesn't need the illusion of being part of a special club. Membership fee at Costco is a tax on idiocy.
Then you have not been paying attention.

I think any Retailer has a dedicated following of some sort... the bigger the following the more you hear about that’s all.

Walmart has a lot of fans cause people perceive they have low prices. Same for Costco
(# 1 and # 2 largest Retailers in the world BTW)

Surf around RFD and you’ll see fans of all sorts... Home Depot - Lowe’s - Cdn Tire - Princess Auto - Best Buy - Chapters - Bed Bath & Beyond - TJ Maxx Group - Loblaws Group - Sobeys Group - Rexall - Marks - LL Bean - Macy’s etc

Afterall it is what this website is all about... sharing info on finding deals & the Retailers that offer them
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
3979 posts
1072 upvotes
Just one result, quickly like that, after 5 seconds on DuckDuckGo:

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2013/12/c ... ter-maker/

And I heard of a local business owner who committed suicide here due to Costco driving them into the ground.

You will notice that when you see for instance, a new food product at Costco from a small independent company, it seldom is stocked more than few months. I wonder why?

My point is that Costco is just as much a heartless monolith as Wal-Mart is or as Amazon is. They squeeze everyone like a lemon and casts them aside, disregarding the consequences of their actions. Someone is paying a dire cost for their low prices. They are not deserving of any special praise, they are like just any other megacorporation.
This is the great ideological divide of our times: not between left and right but between those of us who believe in truth; and those who believe, Oprah style, that we’re all entitled to our own truths and that everyone’s is equally special.
Mar 17, 2009
143 posts
31 upvotes
Mississauga
Poutinesauce wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 2:10 pm
Just one result, quickly like that, after 5 seconds on DuckDuckGo:

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2013/12/c ... ter-maker/

And I heard of a local business owner who committed suicide here due to Costco driving them into the ground.

You will notice that when you see for instance, a new food product at Costco from a small independent company, it seldom is stocked more than few months. I wonder why?

My point is that Costco is just as much a heartless monolith as Wal-Mart is or as Amazon is. They squeeze everyone like a lemon and casts them aside, disregarding the consequences of their actions. Someone is paying a dire cost for their low prices. They are not deserving of any special praise, they are like just any other megacorporation.
Actually, if you read that article right to the end and not just the headline..... it states that Costco gave the company $20 million so that they and the farmers could continue operations.

And that is supposedly "heartless".......
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1859 posts
107 upvotes
NumberThree wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 8:24 am
First of all, who uses terms like "a tax on idiocy"? Sounds kinda douchey.

Second, your references to sheep and herd seems to imply that you think costco members are mindless animals that have no control over their own lives and decisions. Nobody is being forced to signup/renew their membership. If you don't like costco and their fee structure, then stop complaining and go shop somewhere else.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
5179 posts
2599 upvotes
Edmonton
bratman wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 3:55 pm
Actually, if you read that article right to the end and not just the headline..... it states that Costco gave the company $20 million so that they and the farmers could continue operations.

And that is supposedly "heartless".......
And the company was already shut down by the FDA because they'd been selling peanut butter contaminated with Salmonella, prior to Costco stepping in and fronting them cash.

C
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8397 posts
1611 upvotes
London
You're grasping at straws here.

Fortunately I was able to find a case of them at Costco for a reasonable price.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
21949 posts
2574 upvotes
Cas77 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:43 pm
Yes..or Loblaws with it’s new ‘handling fee’ suppliers have to pay to get their own products unloaded.
...but yeah let’s all blame big evil Costco and patronize the above.
I believe you are referring to what is known as a lumper fee and many retailer/warehouses actually charge this and they seem to defend it because it's some 3rd party company they often have working doing the truck offloads. I agree it's a stupid fee, but seems to be generally accepted as "legitimate" :rolleyes:

Edit: Also the suppliers don't pay these fees, the trucking companies do. I'm not sure if some are able to claim that back from the supplier or whomever brokered them the load, but I'm pretty sure they don't--it's just a cost of taking the load (like fuel costs, paying your drivers, etc.). It's funny though some of these guys tell drivers they can avoid the lumper fee--just offload the truck themselves! I'd imagine some trucking companies have drivers do that but most drivers refuse such work so yeah...paying the $30-80 fee is usually done.
Last edited by ES_Revenge on Jan 13th, 2018 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)