• Aug 8th, 2018 8:50 am
Tags:
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14185 upvotes
Toronto

New Costco location: Thorncliffe Park Toronto

I just received this email from Costco regarding a proposed new store and gas station on Overlea Blvd.

Here's hoping it happens, it's super close to my house and the gas station would be a bonus!

October 31, 2013

Dear Costco member:

Costco Wholesale is excited about moving forward with a new warehouse and gas station at 42-46 Overlea Boulevard in the City of Toronto. Our new building will be located at the now-vacant Coca-Cola site. This will be the first new Costco Wholesale location to open in the City of Toronto in over 10 years.

In order to make this new location a reality, applications for a Zoning By-law Amendment and Site Plan have been made to the City of Toronto.

We need your help. It is a fact of life that individuals who oppose projects tend to make their objections known, while those in favour do not express their views. As we pursue municipal planning approvals, we need you to show your support for a new Costco warehouse and gas station to City of Toronto planning staff and council members.

If you would like more information about the proposed development, please attend the community consultation meeting to show your support on November 7, 2013, from 7 to 9 p.m., at St. Clement of Ohrid Macedonian Orthodox Cathedral, 76 Overlea Blvd., Hall A (Main Floor), Toronto. City staff and Costco representatives will be making presentations providing an overview of the project.

Please show your support by contacting Councillor John Parker at councillor_parker@toronto.ca (www.johnparker.ca).

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide and, most importantly, thank you for being a Costco member.

Yours truly,
Pierre Riel
Senior Vice President
Costco Wholesale Canada
Last edited by Swerny on Jun 8th, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
101 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
It sounds like if you hope it happens then you should show up at the meeting and make your voice heard. Costco is right, these meetings are usually full of old fuddy-duddies who have no day jobs and thus all day to complain; if you want this to go through, then you need to outnumber them.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2001
5231 posts
4105 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
Nimby!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
Smart location, in that there's already major retail across the street (East York Town Centre) and not many moneyed, NIMBYish residents in the immediate vicinity. Most residents are in the nearby highrises and unlikely to complain. The only issue I see would be that Overlea and nearby streets may not be able to keep up with the increased traffic (especially with a popular gas station). Perhaps they may have to remove some of the landscaped median to add turn lanes. It's already quite busy around there, and Overlea is effectively only one lane in each direction during "bus lane" hours.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14185 upvotes
Toronto
the downside I could see is that it would add traffic and there are 2 schools right down the street at Overlea and Don Mills.

That would certainly create a lot of demand for the $1.50 hot dog and pop though for lunch! :lol:
May 27, 2008
289 posts
15 upvotes
Ontario
I hope this one proceeds more quickly than the Costco in Guelph. It took years for that one to be approved. Once approved last spring, their goal was to be open in time for the holiday shopping season this year. There is nothing more than a shell of a building there at the moment. If they want to grab the holiday shoppers, they should be open now. At this rate, I highly doubt they'll be open before the new year.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9335 posts
5636 upvotes
Multigenerational living arrangements in the vicinity, 6-10/ apartment, sounds like the perfect consumer demographic for Costco.

While some posters see $1.50/hot dogs and drink problematic, all Costco sees is $$$$$. With their Halal dogs and bottomless drinks, this is going to fly in the area.

I say fill the gap.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24045 posts
4140 upvotes
Toronto
interesting... it seems they want to move in to the old Coca-Cola factory right next door to where I live. literately 2-3 minutes away from me.
Oct 31, 2013
1 posts
Don't let the appeal of discounted bulk items fool you! Look at the shelves at Costco - they are only full of items where the purchasing team has negotiated favourable terms for them (Costco), not the customer. Why buy tomatoes from Mexico when fresher ones from Ontario are available elsewhere? Why buy clothes that are factory misfits? On a product basis, more options are available at your neighbourhood grocers and retailers. Also, consider the “membership” fees! Why should we pay to be a member only to spend more money $$$?? Also, the City of Toronto has considered that location a Heritage Property. Why should this $50 billion company be allowed to change this??
Jan 17, 2010
950 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
I would like this mainly to hopefully take some of the crowds away from the Scarborough location. The lineups are always massive no matter when you go, it's ridiculous
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
1223 posts
60 upvotes
Mississauga
encinc wrote: I hope this one proceeds more quickly than the Costco in Guelph. It took years for that one to be approved. Once approved last spring, their goal was to be open in time for the holiday shopping season this year. There is nothing more than a shell of a building there at the moment. If they want to grab the holiday shoppers, they should be open now. At this rate, I highly doubt they'll be open before the new year.
Dixie/Dundas is opening lately this month which is 15 mins from my place. They said the Costco Guelph is scheduled for Spring.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4782 posts
1327 upvotes
Richmond
:) costsco treats their employees well and actually boost the economy. would you rather have a wal mart instead? you'd end up having yoyr tax dollars siphoned to subsize Wal-Mart
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14185 upvotes
Toronto
http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentApplic ... sn=3379522

Site Plan Approval application to premit a one-storey, 14,543 square metre retail warehouse facility (Costco Warehouse Membership Club), a 4 island, 8 pump ancillary gas bar and 607 surface parking spaces. The existing office building and bottling plant formerly occupied by Coca Cola Refreshments Canada would be demolished to accommodate the proposed facilities.
Proposed Use null # of Storeys null # of Units null

Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status

Site Plan Approval 13 190948 NNY 26 SA Jun 19, 2013 Under Review

Rezoning 13 190942 NNY 26 OZ Jun 19, 2013 Closed
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Smith789 wrote: Don't let the appeal of discounted bulk items fool you! Look at the shelves at Costco - they are only full of items where the purchasing team has negotiated favourable terms for them (Costco), not the customer. Why buy tomatoes from Mexico when fresher ones from Ontario are available elsewhere? Why buy clothes that are factory misfits? On a product basis, more options are available at your neighbourhood grocers and retailers. Also, consider the “membership” fees! Why should we pay to be a member only to spend more money $$$?? Also, the City of Toronto has considered that location a Heritage Property. Why should this $50 billion company be allowed to change this??
Costco has a flat 10% margin on all of their products. Anything negotiated in their favour is something negotiated in our favour, especially when they do their markdown sales. Your other points don't seem very well informed either, especially regarding the clothes.

This 50 billion dollar company pays some of the highest per-employee (not only average) wages and consistently has some of the happiest workers in the world, as well as an amazing record for customer service and just business practices in general. Why are you opposed to that coming to the city?
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14185 upvotes
Toronto
Piro21 wrote: Costco has a flat 10% margin on all of their products. Anything negotiated in their favour is something negotiated in our favour, especially when they do their markdown sales. Your other points don't seem very well informed either, especially regarding the clothes.

This 50 billion dollar company pays some of the highest per-employee (not only average) wages and consistently has some of the happiest workers in the world, as well as an amazing record for customer service and just business practices in general. Why are you opposed to that coming to the city?
because he somehow feels the abandoned Coca Cola building should be saved as a "heritage building"

It was built in 1965.....it's an office building...who cares?

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story ... ouncillor/

Photos in this thread:

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread ... ca-Cola-HQ
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2010
1358 posts
1000 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I lived in Thorncliffe Park growing up...The public school trip that most stands out in my mind is the Coca Cola plant visit. I drove by the area over the summer and still saw the building there. It brought back memories...It was amazing to see the plant in action, but I think it would be antiquated now anyway. I don't see why this building would be any sort of "heritage" thing. It's just a building. There was no special structure or design as far as I can see.

I don't live in the area anymore so I have no feelings one way of the other about Costco moving in. Just wanted to throw in the memories aspect...Boy am I getting old!
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14185 upvotes
Toronto
I can't make the meeting tonight but I did receive a letter in the mail from Costco with a comment card to fill out in support of the new location.

Sent mine in today
Last edited by Swerny on Nov 7th, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 9, 2008
30 posts
20 upvotes
Does anyone know what has happened since? Are they going to go ahead with construction, or was the application denied?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
agenkin wrote: Does anyone know what has happened since? Are they going to go ahead with construction, or was the application denied?
I'm guessing it was approved and full steam ahead, since there's been demolition activity. The main building (plant) is now a pile of rubble and they've been working on the office building (the facade of which is supposed to be part of the Costco warehouse, so it's not going to be 100% demolished).
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
2358 posts
618 upvotes
Lindsay, ON
Piro21 wrote: Costco has a flat 10% margin on all of their products. Anything negotiated in their favour is something negotiated in our favour, especially when they do their markdown sales. Your other points don't seem very well informed either, especially regarding the clothes.

A flat 10% margin on all items? I've seen it posted around here that their margins are very small like 7%. Thats completely bogus. I guarentee their margins on regular price items are way more than that.

Just noticed its an old thread, point stills stands though. Margins on most items are way more than 10%.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)