Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 8, 2011
42 posts
2 upvotes
GTA

New Credit Card

I currently have a CIBC Visa Classic credit card that's going to expire but I don't want to renew it. I'm looking to get a different credit card and I'd like some advice on choosing which one. Some of my details/interests:
- Professional university student
- Spend around $5500/year, about 30% spent on online purchases
- Would like to receive some sort of practical reward, bonus, or cashback for spending/transactions
- No fees or costs for having or using credit card

If anyone can give me some suggestions or advice, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks :D
5 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21262 posts
2086 upvotes
MBNA SC. Search the forums as well. You do not "renew" cards, one is issued to you.
[OP]
Nov 8, 2011
42 posts
2 upvotes
GTA
Kasakato wrote:
Dec 12th, 2013 11:28 pm
MBNA SC. Search the forums as well. You do not "renew" cards, one is issued to you.
Oh yeah, I meant I'm going to cancel it. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1338 posts
221 upvotes
Montreal
Keep the oldest credit card you have open
never cancel it
It makes the length of your entire credit history longer
which is taken into consideration when performing credit check on you
Just apply for a new one and stow the old one into a drawer, perhaps put a purchase or two onto it a year
Keep an eye on your credit, help it grow
Jun 9, 2006
836 posts
84 upvotes
Thornhill
When you mention online purchases, do you buy from Amazon much? Check Amazon Chase Visa. 1% on everything, 2% on Amazon. MBNA SC is good if you buy gas or groceries.
Nov 6, 2013
282 posts
39 upvotes
Vancouver
Waiwai wrote:
Dec 13th, 2013 10:17 pm
When you mention online purchases, do you buy from Amazon much? Check Amazon Chase Visa. 1% on everything, 2% on Amazon. MBNA SC is good if you buy gas or groceries.
If you're still a student I would recommend the BMO SPC cash back. It gives you 10% back on certain places.