• Sep 14th, 2015 3:57 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 4, 2012
15 posts
23 upvotes
VANCOUVER

[Shaw] New Customers - TV, Internet, Home Phone - Telus $30 vs Shaw $50+

I know there was a thread recently about this topic, but I recently received two promos in the mail from both companies (one was for my neighbour) and thought I would share in case anyone's looking to make a switch. Couldn't find the older thread so I'm creating this new one. Not sure if these would be valid in other cities, but the offers were received in Vancouver.

TELUS
-Get Optik TV Essentials and Internet 15 for only $30/month for the first 6 months
-Call 1-888-918-8183 to order
-Promo Code PZRC21303
-Offer available until July 29, 2013 to residential customers who have not subscribed within the past 90 days to Telus TV or Internet service.

For those who require the HD box, you need to sign at least a one year contract for a free HD box rental or 3 year contract for free HD PVR and 2 HD box rental; otherwise you can purchase one from Best Buy/Future Shop/London Drugs when they are on sale for $100. If you do any of these (have a term service agreement or purchase Telus PVR or receiver), it's free installation. Otherwise, if you don't sign and go month-to-month, there's a $50 installation fee, and HD box rental is $5/month or PVR $15/month. However, I think that Telus may still be offering the midweek $50 credit if you install Tue-Thurs or something like that, so either it would be a $50 bonus if you get free installation, or it would cancel the installation fee if you go month-to-month.

SHAW
-Get High Speed Internet 20, Personal TV and Home Phone Basic for $64.90 for the first 3 months
-Free Gateway Whole Home HDPVR rental with up to three portals for three TVs (one portal for each connected TV, up to 3 connections)
-Call 1-877-789-8596 to order (mention promo code 472)
-Offer available until July 12, 2013 to new customers only, must not have subscribed to any Shaw service in the last 90 days

OR

-Get High Speed 10, Personal TV and Home Phone Basic for $59.90 for the first 3 months
-Free Gateway Whole Home HDPVR rental with up to three portals for three TVs (one portal for each connected TV, up to 3 connections)
-Call 1-877-806-7642 to order (mention promo code 449)
-Offer was available until May 31, 2013 to new customers only, must not have subscribed to any Shaw service in the last 90 days - I had a friend contact Shaw in June and they were still offering this deal at that time, so you may still be able to get it

-------------
I'm currently with Telus on the 10/10 deal from last year, and was looking to see if I could switch to Shaw since my promotion with Telus is ending soon. When I contacted them last month about the second deal (promo 449), I asked about not having the home phone, and that reduced the package by $10 to $49.90 for High Speed 10 and Personal TV, with one PVR rental (not the Gateway whole home rental). I also asked about the Best of HD package (in my opinion, that's the best package but extremely overpriced now) and they offered me for 3 months at the previous rate of $20/month. So total I was quoted at the time was $69.90 for High Speed 10, Personal TV + Best of HD Package for 3 months. I don't think Shaw has offered any great deals in the last year, but I think this one is reasonable.

REFERRAL BONUS
Also, if you have a friend or family member who is a current subscriber with the company that you are thinking of switching to, ask them to refer you (this can all be done online through their respective websites). Shaw offers the referrer $25 (up to $75) credit for each package (Home/TV/Internet) that you subscribe to, and you also get $10 credit. Telus offers the referrer $50 prepaid Visa card. You can either do something nice for someone else, or you can ask them to split it with you!
515 replies
Apr 11, 2007
233 posts
31 upvotes
Thanks! Was looking for something like this as I'm moving to a new place in a couple of months.

For your comparison, the Telus deal doesn't seem to have the phone service? Or is that included?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1215 posts
137 upvotes
These prices are for the first 6 or 3 months

After that period what are the Price$ . . . Telus . . . Shaw ?

nurtles wrote:
Jun 21st, 2013 7:22 am
I know there was a thread recently about this topic, but I recently received two promos in the mail from both companies (one was for my neighbour) and thought I would share in case anyone's looking to make a switch. Couldn't find the older thread so I'm creating this new one. Not sure if these would be valid in other cities, but the offers were received in Vancouver.

TELUS
-Get Optik TV Essentials and Internet 15 for only $30/month for the first 6 months
-Promo Code PZRC21303
-Offer available until July 29, 2013 to residential customers who have not subscribed within the past 90 days to Telus TV or Internet service.

For those who require the HD box, you need to sign at least a one year contract for a free HD box rental or 3 year contract for free HD PVR and 2 HD box rental; otherwise you can purchase one from Best Buy/Future Shop/London Drugs when they are on sale for $100. If you do any of these (have a term service agreement or purchase Telus PVR or receiver), it's free installation. Otherwise, if you don't sign and go month-to-month, there's a $50 installation fee, and HD box rental is $5/month or PVR $15/month. However, I think that Telus may still be offering the midweek $50 credit if you install Tue-Thurs or something like that, so either it would be a $50 bonus if you get free installation, or it would cancel the installation fee if you go month-to-month.

SHAW
-Get High Speed Internet 20, Personal TV and Home Phone Basic for $64.90 for the first 3 months
-Offer available until July 12, 2013 to new customers only, must not have subscribed to any Shaw service in the last 90 days

OR

-Get High Speed 10, Personal TV and Home Phone Basic for $59.90 for the first 3 months
-Offer was available until May 31, 2013 to new customers only, must not have subscribed to any Shaw service in the last 90 days - I had a friend contact Shaw in June and they were still offering this deal at that time, so you may still be able to get it

-------------
I'm currently with Telus on the 10/10 deal from last year, and was looking to see if I could switch to Shaw since my promotion with Telus is ending soon. When I contacted them last month about the second deal (promo 449), I asked about not having the home phone, and that reduced the package by $10 to $49.90 for High Speed 10 and Personal TV, with one PVR rental (not the Gateway whole home rental). I also asked about the Best of HD package (in my opinion, that's the best package but extremely overpriced now) and they offered me for 3 months at the previous rate of $20/month. So total I was quoted at the time was $69.90 for High Speed 10, Personal TV + Best of HD Package for 3 months. I don't think Shaw has offered any great deals in the last year, but I think this one is reasonable.

REFERRAL BONUS
Also, if you have a friend or family member who is a current subscriber with the company that you are thinking of switching to, ask them to refer you (this can all be done online through their respective websites). Shaw offers the referrer $25 (up to $75) credit for each package (Home/TV/Internet) that you subscribe to, and you also get $10 credit. Telus offers the referrer $50 prepaid Visa card. You can either do something nice for someone else, or you can ask them to split it with you!
Jun 27, 2008
585 posts
56 upvotes
No deals for expiring student Shaw promos in Vancouver?
[OP]
Jun 4, 2012
15 posts
23 upvotes
VANCOUVER
No, the Telus offer I received did not mention anything about home phone service. Based on the website, the cheapest deal they are offering the phone is for $20/month for one calling feature for the first 6 months ($25 after), as long as it's in a bundle, so with the promo package you could get it for $50/month for the first six months for all three services. On their website, they have the same deal for $75/month for first six months.

I didn't include the regular pricing in the original post because that is available on both company's websites, and is NOT a hot deal. This is more geared for people who are going to be switching back and forth between the two providers in order to maximize the promo pricing, and are probably looking for a deal now that they can switch to. But these are the regular prices after the promotion is over:
Telus
Optik TV Essentials $29/month
Internet $50/month
Phone $25/month
TOTAL $104/month

Shaw
Personal TV $34.90/month
Internet $50/month
Home Phone Basic $24.95/month
TOTAL $109.85/month

I'm not currently on a student package so I didn't receive anything on new student deals, but I find that the student pricing isn't actually that great of a deal. The Telus 10/10 TV and Internet that I'm on now that was offered last year was way cheaper than anything Shaw could offer me last year when I signed up in August, and the Shaw promo pricing listed above I think is fairly similar to what students are offered, with the exception that the student pricing lasts for 8 months rather than just 3.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2006
7290 posts
507 upvotes
Vancouver
If you go through an authorized sales rep, you can actually get the Telus $15/$15 deal for 12 months instead of 6. This helps with the 1 year contract for free installation + free HD box as well because then your contract length and promo length are the same. Home Phone is just another $15.

If you would like a contact number, just let me know and I'll PM it to you.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
3480 posts
394 upvotes
Vancouver
nurtles wrote:
Jun 21st, 2013 10:01 pm
No, the Telus offer I received did not mention anything about home phone service. Based on the website, the cheapest deal they are offering the phone is for $20/month for one calling feature for the first 6 months ($25 after), as long as it's in a bundle, so with the promo package you could get it for $50/month for the first six months for all three services. On their website, they have the same deal for $75/month for first six months.

I didn't include the regular pricing in the original post because that is available on both company's websites, and is NOT a hot deal. This is more geared for people who are going to be switching back and forth between the two providers in order to maximize the promo pricing, and are probably looking for a deal now that they can switch to. But these are the regular prices after the promotion is over:
Telus
Optik TV Essentials $29/month
Internet $50/month
Phone $25/month
TOTAL $104/month

Shaw
Personal TV $34.90/month
Internet $50/month
Home Phone Basic $24.95/month
TOTAL $109.85/month

I'm not currently on a student package so I didn't receive anything on new student deals, but I find that the student pricing isn't actually that great of a deal. The Telus 10/10 TV and Internet that I'm on now that was offered last year was way cheaper than anything Shaw could offer me last year when I signed up in August, and the Shaw promo pricing listed above I think is fairly similar to what students are offered, with the exception that the student pricing lasts for 8 months rather than just 3.
The hidden difference is that sportsnet and TSN are available in basic TV in Shaw whereas you'll be paying an extra $9 a month. In my experience, I also found that Shaw has several channels available a la carte whereas with Telus, more bundles for $9!
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2005
3629 posts
221 upvotes
BC
nurtles wrote:
Jun 21st, 2013 7:22 am

TELUS
-Promo Code PZRC21303

SHAW

OR

-------------

REFERRAL BONUS
I can help people wanting to sign up new telus accounts.
Jul 9, 2009
129 posts
5 upvotes
Firestorm wrote:
Jun 25th, 2013 6:37 am
If you go through an authorized sales rep, you can actually get the Telus $15/$15 deal for 12 months instead of 6. This helps with the 1 year contract for free installation + free HD box as well because then your contract length and promo length are the same. Home Phone is just another $15.

PM me please. Is this applicable to Calgary? I'm with Shaw right now
Aug 19, 2011
9 posts
1 upvote
Calgary
Firestorm wrote:
Jun 25th, 2013 6:37 am

I am interested in the 12 month deal for sure. Please PM
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2006
7290 posts
507 upvotes
Vancouver
cx0213 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2013 8:18 am
PM me pls!
mindloz wrote:
Jun 26th, 2013 4:38 am
I am interested in the 12 month deal for sure. Please PM
nirbs wrote:
Jun 26th, 2013 3:15 am
PM me please. Is this applicable to Calgary? I'm with Shaw right now
PMed. Keep in mind the offer says it expires June 30th so acting sooner rather than later is best (not sure it will be back in July though I expect it will)! It's available anywhere Telus has Optik service (BC and Alberta).
Nov 21, 2007
127 posts
13 upvotes
Kamloops
Firestorm wrote:
Jun 26th, 2013 8:31 am
PMed. Keep in mind the offer says it expires June 30th so acting sooner rather than later is best (not sure it will be back in July though I expect it will)! It's available anywhere Telus has Optik service (BC and Alberta).
I'm not sure it's applicable to current customer. If it is, please PM me for the contact. Thanks
× < >