Group Deal Discussion

[National] New Deals Site ("Gobza") - Anyone Heard of it Before?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2012 4:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2007
1438 posts
336 upvotes

New Deals Site ("Gobza") - Anyone Heard of it Before?

I saw a tweet from Mike Zigomanis (from the Toronto Marlies) on Twitter posting about this site called "Gobza" and how it's going to be the next big thing / better than other group buy sites, so I decided to check it out. From what I've read so far, deals won't be limited by time, there is a cash back component to it, and it's a way for companies to advertise for free.

On the home page they say it's on an invite-only sign up system right now, but perhaps it just opened up to everyone as I was able to sign up no problem without being invited. ***Edit/Update: Apparently Mike Zigomanis' link that I followed was an invite link, so that's how I was able to sign up.***

I did a quick search in this section of the forums to see if there was any info/posts on it, but nothing came up, surprisingly. Anyway, this seemed like the best place to get more info / discuss Gobza. The more people who sign up, the better the deals will be (and we all love deals) so maybe we can help spread the word! I just updated my signature to help on that front.

Site Link: http://www.gobza.com

Anyone with more info, please share! There appear to be some explanation videos on the site, but I can't view them on the computer I'm on right now. And tell your friends/family so we can get some sweet deals in the future! I will be checking out the site more tonight once I get on a better computer!
:!: Submit EB and BB trade-in values here: tivs.ca :!:
17 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3269 posts
1928 upvotes
North Vancouver
Basically looks like a Group Deals site combined with Multi-Level Marketing.

The whole invite thing makes it look much more exclusive that it actually is, since the entire system is dependent on inviting more people for anyone to actually make money.

The only other thing I can really say is that it's rare to find a MLM system that isn't extremely shady.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2007
1438 posts
336 upvotes
It's not MLM... check out their FAQ:

"Is Gobza Multi-Level Marketing?

The short and simple answer is: No. Gobza is a new advertising and purchasing platform. Multi-Level Marketing (MLM) is a system for selling goods through a network of people who become distributors of that product. Gobza does not manufacture or sell any of its own products or services. Our Connectors are not distributors and they do not sell a product. Gobza knows that you already tell others about products or services you love from businesses in your community. When a transaction occurs on Gobza between people that you connected to Gobza, we reward you for spreading the word."

I might normally be a bit cautious about something like this, but since everything is free (sign up, etc.) and it's a site where you can get groupon/wagjag-type deals all the time, whenever you want, I don't see any issue with it. In fact it looks great and like it has the potential to actually be the next big thing. It's a shame that actual MLM has made it more difficult for legit things like this to catch on though.
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106479 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I'm jaded enough that I don't trust any of these guys any more.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2007
1438 posts
336 upvotes
Any of what guys? It's a deal site, where businesses offer deals in exchange for free advertising. Have you not used groupon or wagjag or kijijideals etc. before? They are legit and I've scored many a deal through them. This is no different. There is nothing not to trust.
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106479 upvotes
Richmond Hill
dtp11 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2012 1:04 pm
I saw a tweet from Mike Zigomanis (from the Toronto Marlies) on Twitter posting about this site called "Gobza" and how it's going to be the next big thing / better than other group buy sites, so I decided to check it out. From what I've read so far, deals won't be limited by time, there is a cash back component to it, and it's a way for companies to advertise for free.

On the home page they say it's on an invite-only sign up system right now, but perhaps it just opened up to everyone as I was able to sign up no problem without being invited.

I did a quick search in this section of the forums to see if there was any info/posts on it, but nothing came up, surprisingly. Anyway, this seemed like the best place to get more info / discuss Gobza. The more people who sign up, the better the deals will be (and we all love deals) so maybe we can help spread the word! I just updated my signature to help on that front.

Site Link: ************************

Anyone with more info, please share! There appear to be some explanation videos on the site, but I can't view them on the computer I'm on right now. And tell your friends/family so we can get some sweet deals in the future! I will be checking out the site more tonight once I get on a better computer!
dtp11 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2012 1:30 pm
It's not MLM... check out their FAQ:

"Is Gobza Multi-Level Marketing?

The short and simple answer is: No. Gobza is a new advertising and purchasing platform. Multi-Level Marketing (MLM) is a system for selling goods through a network of people who become distributors of that product. Gobza does not manufacture or sell any of its own products or services. Our Connectors are not distributors and they do not sell a product. Gobza knows that you already tell others about products or services you love from businesses in your community. When a transaction occurs on Gobza between people that you connected to Gobza, we reward you for spreading the word."

I might normally be a bit cautious about something like this, but since everything is free (sign up, etc.) and it's a site where you can get groupon/wagjag-type deals all the time, whenever you want, I don't see any issue with it. In fact it looks great and like it has the potential to actually be the next big thing. It's a shame that actual MLM has made it more difficult for legit things like this to catch on though.
dtp11 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2012 4:05 pm
Any of what guys? It's a deal site, where businesses offer deals in exchange for free advertising. Have you not used groupon or wagjag or kijijideals etc. before? They are legit and I've scored many a deal through them. This is no different. There is nothing not to trust.
You do realize that although your original posting sounded enough like an innocent query as to whether others have heard of this new site, and what their thoughts are, you're now at the point that you're sounding more and more like a paid shill.

Of course, your sig pretty much confirms it:

:arrow: What's better than Groupon? Gobza! Check it out: gobza.com :arrowl:
Sep 30, 2001
26395 posts
5426 upvotes
Toronto
dtp11 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2012 4:05 pm
I'm curious but what's your involvement with this site?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2007
1438 posts
336 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2012 4:10 pm
You do realize that although your original posting sounded enough like an innocent query as to whether others have heard of this new site, and what their thoughts are, you're now at the point that you're sounding more and more like a paid shill.

Of course, your sig pretty much confirms it:
lol, did you even read my original post? I said I signed up and changed my sig to spread the word because the more people who join the site, the better the deals. And really, you think I'm a paid shill who has over 800 posts on RFD and has been a member for 5 years?

You came in here saying you don't trust any of these guys (which made no sense), so I replied stating that Gobza is just like any other deal site out there (e.g. groupon/wagjag, etc.) in the sense that businesses get advertising free by offering good deals and then you get offended for some reason and claim I'm pretty much a paid shill? Really? Not sure why you are being so negative about it. It's a new site for deals, so I'm sharing it with the community. If you like getting good deals, you should be excited that there is a new avenue for scoring them. There's no need to start calling me names and accusing me of stuff.

@MrDisco: I signed up earlier today for it after reading Mike Zigomanis' tweet... after looking into it a bit, I realized that the deals would be better if more people signed up, so I posted it here. I also hadn't heard much about it, so I was wondering if anyone else here had any other info about it. Apparently not though...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
5960 posts
863 upvotes
dtp11 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2012 1:04 pm

On the home page they say it's on an invite-only sign up system right now, but perhaps it just opened up to everyone as I was able to sign up no problem without being invited.

Site Link: ********************

I believe the link is a referral link.
Please remove.

I checked to see if http//www.gobza.com/sign_up_now is available and it's not.

Check here for possible names
https://www.gobza.com/Signup/ShopperSignup

I can put many variations of sign_up_right_now and it is available.
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106479 upvotes
Richmond Hill
dtp11 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2012 4:27 pm
lol, did you even read my original post? I said I signed up and changed my sig to spread the word because the more people who join the site, the better the deals. And really, you think I'm a paid shill who has over 800 posts on RFD and has been a member for 5 years?

You came in here saying you don't trust any of these guys (which made no sense), so I replied stating that Gobza is just like any other deal site out there (e.g. groupon/wagjag, etc.) and then you get offended for some reason and claim I'm pretty much a paid shill? Really? Not sure why you are being so negative about it. It's a new site for deals, so I'm sharing it with the community. If you like getting good deals, you should be excited that there is a new avenue for scoring them. There's no need to start calling me names and accusing me of stuff.
There's nothing that says you can't be both. Only means that the sites have gotten smarter and are hiring existing RFDers instead of creating a brand new account to do the exact same thing. Or as Mr. Disco suggested, you may have a direct financial interest in this site, and it's a happy coincidence that you're also a long time RFDer.

And I'm not sure how not trusting these deal sites doesn't make any sense? Either you've been living in a hole - or you've just been incredibly lucky with the deals you've bought - to be unaware of all the crap that's been pulled by various deal sites and the merchants they represent over the past couple of years.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2007
1438 posts
336 upvotes
I copy and pasted that link straight from my browser and it works when I click on it... not sure what you mean?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
5960 posts
863 upvotes
dtp11 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2012 4:42 pm
I copy and pasted that link straight from my browser and it works when I click on it... not sure what you mean?
Copied from where?
I cannot find that link from any of their buttons.

Here is the link from the tweet
gobza.com/mz

Also if you copied it straight, why does the URL in your post have that sign_up_now hidden?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2007
1438 posts
336 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2012 4:40 pm
There's nothing that says you can't be both. Only means that the sites have gotten smarter and are hiring existing RFDers instead of creating a brand new account to do the exact same thing. Or as Mr. Disco suggested, you may have a direct financial interest in this site, and it's a happy coincidence that you're also a long time RFDer.

And I'm not sure how not trusting these deal sites doesn't make any sense? Either you've been living in a hole - or you've just been incredibly lucky with the deals you've bought - to be unaware of all the crap that's been pulled by various deal sites and the merchants they represent over the past couple of years.
I thought you meant you don't trust them with your credit card info or that they didn't send you the deals that you paid for. I've always had good experiences with any group deals I've participated in and I was under the impression that it was only sometimes the businesses that were sometimes sketchy, which doesn't have a lot to do with the site itself, rather the business offering the deal. As for thinking they paid me to write up this post, that's pretty funny. I could easily write up a much more "convincing" post to promote the site if I was being paid to do it, lol. Anyway, thanks for explaining what you meant.
Sep 30, 2001
26395 posts
5426 upvotes
Toronto
dtp11 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2012 4:27 pm
@MrDisco: I signed up earlier today for it after reading Mike Zigomanis' tweet... after looking into it a bit, I realized that the deals would be better if more people signed up, so I posted it here. I also hadn't heard much about it, so I was wondering if anyone else here had any other info about it. Apparently not though...
Fair enough. I would still be skeptical of their offerings until they can prove they are indeed different from all the rest. A hockey player (who for some reason has his own affiliate link) isn't enough to convince me that this is a sound business.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2007
1438 posts
336 upvotes
canadiankorean wrote:
Aug 24th, 2012 4:46 pm
Copied from where?
I cannot find that link from any of their buttons.

Here is the link from the tweet
gobza.com/mz
That's the URL that was in my browser after signing up.

Edit: hmmm... I didn't even notice that Mike Zigomanis's link from his tweet was an affiliate link.

@MrDisco: I agree, I won't be buying anything until I see that it's for sure legit of course, but I don't see any harm in signing up since it didn't ask me for my CC or anything like that.