• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2024 8:06 pm
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10747 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
zod wrote:
Now that Disney owns Hulu they are charging $12.99 USD per month for Disney+ with Hulu and ESPN+. That's the same price per month as Netflix US. I expect we'll see a similar bundle in Canada next year when Hulu launches here but the bundle will almost certainly be at the same price as NF HD here.
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
scoper wrote: Now that Disney owns Hulu they are charging $12.99 USD per month for Disney+ with Hulu and ESPN+. That's the same price per month as Netflix US. I expect we'll see a similar bundle in Canada next year when Hulu launches here but the bundle will almost certainly be at the same price as NF HD here.
That's a pretty good deal. I suppose the odd's of us getting something like that in Canada are slim to none, with so many broadcast rights owned by Rogers and Bell?
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10747 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
zod wrote: That's a pretty good deal. I suppose the odd's of us getting something like that in Canada are slim to none, with so many broadcast rights owned by Rogers and Bell?
I think we will see Hulu Canada launch here, it's unlikely we'll see ESPN+ though. NF has 7 million+ subscribers here and a Disney+ with Hulu bundle at the same CAD monthly price can better compete for them.

Deal Guru
Sep 19, 2006
11664 posts
6565 upvotes
Toronto
scoper wrote: Now that Disney owns Hulu they are charging $12.99 USD per month for Disney+ with Hulu and ESPN+. That's the same price per month as Netflix US. I expect we'll see a similar bundle in Canada next year when Hulu launches here but the bundle will almost certainly be at the same price as NF HD here.
cant wait for hulu to come to canada
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17869 upvotes
GTA, ON
I'm trying to see what Hulu has that we don't already get here in Canada through other partner stations. I'm not really see much.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Dec 8, 2017
676 posts
330 upvotes
chimaican wrote: I'm trying to see what Hulu has that we don't already get here in Canada through other partner stations. I'm not really see much.
It would be nice to have the FX Now content on a streaming service. For example, I was only able to watch Devs through my Rogers Cable subscription where I have FX.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2013
1982 posts
1028 upvotes
Vancouver
scoper wrote: Starting September 4th Disney+ customers will be able to pay $30 and watch Mulan on the service instead of the movie theatre, US and Canada. Interesting experiment, if they start doing this with their Marvel movies it will help retain subscribers. $30 USD ($40 CAD) is steep though.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ce-1298688
Yea no thanks. I can pay to watch the movie in theaters for $10 on Tue with the big screen, Comfy chair. Even if I go watch it with my wife is only $20 not 29.99 plus the sub fee. Beside this movie will up on a lot of Chinese site where you can download/watch for free in no time (Let's face it this movie is more less for the audience in China).
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10747 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
bubaglobalj wrote: It would be nice to have the FX Now content on a streaming service. For example, I was only able to watch Devs through my Rogers Cable subscription where I have FX.
Agreed, Rogers on the other hand would probably throw a fit if they included that content with Hulu Canada and yank them from their service. It would be funny to watch their back-room negotiations, " You bring Hulu direct to Canada and you can say goodbye to FX, ABC, Fox, NatGeo, all the Disney owned channels on our service..." These cable providers can only blackmail and stall for so long before they capitulate and work instead on offering the new streaming services on their equipment (like they are doing with Crave).

Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10747 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
jenviea wrote: Premium fee is slightly less (using current exchange rates) outside the US

https://deadline.com/2020/08/mulan-disn ... 203022542/
Update: Mulan will be $34.99 CAD here, cheaper than USA.
They are calling it "Premier Access"

https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=csp_ ... 8d139619cb

Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
I feel like that price point is too high. It might be a bit of a bargain for families that go to the theatre, but if 2 or less people want to watch it, its more expensive than the theatre. Plus movie companies have to revenue share with the theatre. They usually keep 60% so this get's them an extra 40% by not having to share revenue with theatres? I feel like $20 is a good price point for watching big movies at home, but over $30 is too much. It's also going to be a hard sell when people can pay $8 to $12 a month for a mountain of content including new full seasons of TV shows and new movies, and then you ask for $35 for a single movie... that's a tough sell.

I also think it's bad form to use Disney+ to sell it. I know it's psychological but it's a modern all you can eat subscription platform. Tacking on premium "paid" things to it, is just mean. Might of been better if they gave it a widespread digital release then added it for free on Disney+ when it got older, and it had already made any digital/theatrical $$'s it could.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1617 posts
966 upvotes
Edmonton
How come no one has mentioned the upto $12.50 back with Rakuten?
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2842 posts
3454 upvotes
Toronto
The Mandalorian 2 will be out October 30, just a bit before my yearly subscription ends, surprise surprise! I had subscribed very close to their Canadian launch, I'm sure lots of people are in the same boat as me.

I think I'll cancel my subscription and just subscribe for a month after all the episodes are released, just not enough content for me at the moment.
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10747 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
silverele wrote: The Mandalorian 2 will be out October 30, just a bit before my yearly subscription ends, surprise surprise! I had subscribed very close to their Canadian launch, I'm sure lots of people are in the same boat as me.

I think I'll cancel my subscription and just subscribe for a month after all the episodes are released, just not enough content for me at the moment.
Considering they release 1 new episode each week you'd have to wait until Xmas! Good luck with that, S02 trailer looks terrific.

Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2842 posts
3454 upvotes
Toronto
scoper wrote: Considering they release 1 new episode each week you'd have to wait until Xmas! Good luck with that, S02 trailer looks terrific.

Oh shoot, I wish I didn't see the trailer you linked! I can't resist the baby yoda...what to do what to do... perhaps Disney will get a few more months out of me then. =)
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22160 posts
10325 upvotes
Toronto
itemsale2003 wrote: How come no one has mentioned the upto $12.50 back with Rakuten?
Can you get the rebate a second time with the same Rakuten and Disney account? I got it with Disney+ last year.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I cancelled, it auto expires now on renewal date. While new releases can only be watched on D+ the moment they come out, they're streamable elsewhere in a day or two.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
3427 posts
1901 upvotes
Montreal, QC
audit13 wrote: Can you get the rebate a second time with the same Rakuten and Disney account? I got it with Disney+ last year.
it says only on new subs but we can always try. turn off auto renew, let it expire then sub again? if it works, great. if it doesn't, no loss
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10747 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
Tenet box office results have really scared studios off, Disney is pushing Black Widow, Eternals and oher films to even later next year in what must be crushing to the movie theatre business. They haven't moved Pixar's Soul yet but that's probably because they plan to release it on Disney+ for purchase like Mulan.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/blac ... 234773491/

Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17434 posts
12787 upvotes
Toronto
The biggest complaint I see about Disney+ is lack of original content and I don't think this really qualifies (but it's probably faster & cheaper than traditional scripted content)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)