Pets

New dog owner looking for advice/tips!! :)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2017 4:05 pm
[OP]
Nov 22, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote

New dog owner looking for advice/tips!! :)

Hi guys!

I recently adopted a 7 year old dog (chow chow mix). Super adorable, friendly and well-trained. Unfortunately I didn't get much information on her before or any paperwork, as the family had to move away very quickly and they would've had to put her in a pound.

Any information for a first time dog owner? Any tips are greatly appreciated regarding shopping for food, accessories, vet visits/bills. I'm going to make an appointment for next week to take her to a vet for a check-up or any shots she may need.

Thanks for the help!! :)
11 replies
Dec 23, 2015
192 posts
153 upvotes
If you don't have any reliable health records or the place you adopted the dog from didn't have the dog checked by a vet that would be priority number one. Secondly you are doing the right thing by asking questions and getting advice. An investment in learning all you can about training and dog behaviour will make for a happier dog and will make your experience as an owner more fulfilling. It will also make for a more pleasant and safer experience for anyone who comes in contact with the dog.
[OP]
Nov 22, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
6060842 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 11:05 am
If you don't have any reliable health records or the place you adopted the dog from didn't have the dog checked by a vet that would be priority number one. Secondly you are doing the right thing by asking questions and getting advice. An investment in learning all you can about training and dog behaviour will make for a happier dog and will make your experience as an owner more fulfilling. It will also make for a more pleasant and safer experience for anyone who comes in contact with the dog.
I agree! It's unfortunate that they had to give her away but she seems to be happy and adjusting great. I'm trying to do lots of reading and asking questions to people with experience. She's great with people, but seems a bit unfriendly with other dogs when she's on her walk. Perhaps she hasn't been socialized much with other dogs. I was thinking maybe taking her for some training classes at PetSmart. Unfortunately I don't have any health records for her. Hopefully I can get a vet appointment for next week. Thanks for the reply! :)
Dec 23, 2015
192 posts
153 upvotes
I also want to caution you about feeding you dog foods other than dog food as I personally have known people to feed their dogs such things as grapes and tea, both of which are toxic to dogs. There is a long list of things you should definitely not feed your dog including chocolate, tea, coffee, alcohol, avocados, cherries, garlic, onions, dairy, pomegranates, grapes, macadamia nuts, rhubarb, Xylitol the list goes on but you can do a search for more. Just because your dog seems to like it doesn't mean it's good for him. As a general rule, if it's not food made for dogs ( sometimes even if it is) don't feed it to him unless you are certain that it is tolerated by dogs. This is especially true if you are seeking advice from some owners who may be unaware and tell you that they always feed it to their dog.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3849 posts
547 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Bamboocha wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 10:01 am
Hi guys!

I recently adopted a 7 year old dog (chow chow mix). Super adorable, friendly and well-trained. Unfortunately I didn't get much information on her before or any paperwork, as the family had to move away very quickly and they would've had to put her in a pound.

Any information for a first time dog owner? Any tips are greatly appreciated regarding shopping for food, accessories, vet visits/bills. I'm going to make an appointment for next week to take her to a vet for a check-up or any shots she may need.

Thanks for the help!! :)
Hi OP, welcome to RFD.

Firstly, thank you for adopting, it at least provides some sort of consistency to the dog, rather than ending up at a shelter.

I think the only suggestion I can give is to be extra attentive to the dog. You'll need to learn its ways, as much as its trying to learn yours. And given that it already has had 7 yrs of habits, you'll be playing somewhat of a catch up. It can't tell you it knows how to sit on command, and the command is "down" instead of "sit".

Also by being attentive, you'll be able to distinguish whether its ok with the changes in diet, environment, etc, and whether there are underlying issues. It's also good to be mindful that the dog may be depressed as the pack that its used to is no longer around.

In terms of general dog care, there are lots of camps. So folks like pure raw, some prefer brands carried by Global Pet Foods, some are ok with PetSmart or even Walmart brands. Accessories are purely for you and the dog. Same with toys, grooming, etc.

At the end of the day, the goal is to have a happy health dog; how you go about it is up to you.
Aug 15, 2015
156 posts
24 upvotes
Markham, ON
What plans do you have with your dog beside visiting the vet? and going to dog training classes?
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1648 posts
167 upvotes
Canada
great that you adopted and you are responsible that you take her to a vet for a complete check-up that should be your first priority.
Jul 11, 2011
855 posts
500 upvotes
Ontario
A first time dog owner and a Chow-Chow are to me, a terrible mix.

So now you have an ancient (war) dog breed, one that was mainly bred for hunting and guard dog duties. At seven years old, any chance of re-socialization and/or significant behavioural change is about 6 1/2 years too late.

Keep him/her well exercised and good luck OP, you're going to need it...hebs
Mar 19, 2013
607 posts
173 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
Off to a great start. Do not worry about past health records, you will overtime establish a new history. Food, I recommend a high quality dog food, we use Royal Canin purchased from our Vet. I’m not a fan of big box store dog food. Now you have a great opportunity to bond and build a relationship with your new friend. I’m not a fan of books, online information or training classes. A lot of information is very general to a specific breed, a guideline at best. When things get a little rough, try not to over think them. Believe me, you will do the right thing. I believe every dog has its own unique personality & character. Owners play a huge part. Do not be afraid to try things. Yes mistakes will be made, learn from them, move on. Soon you will discover what works well & what doesn’t. Dogs want strong leadership from their owner(s). Makes their life easier. Dog want to please their owner(s). If that leadership is non existent or weak, the dog will take over. There will be times you may have to be firm with your dog. It is important your dog understands who is in charge.

I have dogs in my life since a was young boy. Today, we have 3. The oldest is an American Eskimo, next March, 18 years old. Like to think we have done some things right. Wish you well, your dog will give you so much happiness & joy. Have fun.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9210 posts
681 upvotes
Mississauga
Love your dog and he/she will love you back. Honestly treat your dog as you would to a child. Dogs are amazing creatures, they supply bundles of joy and endless supply of love, even when their owners are dirtbags. Please do not neglect your dog, be attentive and look for signs like another poster said.

I remember I had a neighbor who neglected their dog so bad. They would put it outside in the rain/cold/winter and would run off for many hours. We would find the dog on a leash in its crappy home, tipped over water, and no food, barking. We would have to climb to look over the fence and feed our own dog food and treats (meant for little dogs) to this larger dog. I filed a complaint with the OSPCA but honestly they were sooo slow. By the time they came to inspect, couple of days later, they would come at the wrong time and the dog would have already been taken inside for a few.

Not too long after these guys left. I have always wondered what happened to this dog. Makes me upset. If you don't have time to take care of your dog, please for its sake, put it back for adoption and have some other loving family take better care of it.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4805 posts
935 upvotes
Mississauga
Umm. Where's the pictures?!?!

I love chow chow's. Always wanted one (don't tell my Berner that lol).
Aug 15, 2015
156 posts
24 upvotes
Markham, ON
OP, any updates about your dog? Have you visited the vet yet? How was the trip to the vet? Have you sign up for training class with your dog yet?

What's going on? Have you two went on walks yet? If so, are you enjoying it? And the fur around furnitures?