• Jan 16th, 2019 9:59 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4068 posts
527 upvotes
Toronto

New drone law June 1st, 2019

Just recently got a drone and thought i would share this news to whoever has one. Transport Canada just announced new rules for drones. There are some changes to the current one. Seems like you can fly a bit higher now but you must register your drone and do an online test before flying. Below is the link

http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviatio ... gally.html
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
41 replies
Jan 10, 2009
673 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
Basically they've brought the drone operation into line with all other aircraft. You must keep logs of every flight, you must now allow anyone else to operate it, must not drink alcohol or consume other drugs within 12 hours of operation.
Dec 15, 2017
770 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
So what about those rules of no flying 1000 yards from a commercial building, and not above animals or humans, or on top of swimming pools? I hope these laws also apply for Peel Police new fleet of drones.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4068 posts
527 upvotes
Toronto
MusicBox wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 3:19 pm
So what about those rules of no flying 1000 yards from a commercial building, and not above animals or humans, or on top of swimming pools? I hope these laws also apply for Peel Police new fleet of drones.
those were removed i believe
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7000 posts
4508 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Airports have enough issues worrying about other full size aircraft in the vicinity during take offs & landings
And flocks of Birds (especially Cdn Geese)
They don’t need to worry about some yahoo flying a drone too
So all these new Rules / Laws make TOTAL SENSE
Not funny that a drone could get into the engine & bring down a plane and kill hundreds of people
(on the plane or ground... as most major Cdn Airports are also surrounded by nearby Residential Neighbourhoods)

I am therefore happy with these laws
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7918 posts
3781 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 5:49 pm
Airports have enough issues worrying about other full size aircraft in the vicinity during take offs & landings
And flocks of Birds (especially Cdn Geese)
They don’t need to worry about some yahoo flying a drone too
So all these new Rules / Laws make TOTAL SENSE
Not funny that a drone could get into the engine & bring down a plane and kill hundreds of people
(on the plane or ground... as most major Cdn Airports are also surrounded by nearby Residential Neighbourhoods)

I am therefore happy with these laws
yeah, that's not how it works. a 500gram drone is not bringing a plane down.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
7838 posts
717 upvotes
daivey wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 11:16 pm
Ya, if something that size could easily bring down a plane, I'm never getting onto a plane again.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7000 posts
4508 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
daivey wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 11:16 pm

bobbings wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 11:35 pm
Ya, if something that size could easily bring down a plane, I'm never getting onto a plane again.
Don’t know where you guys are getting your info... regarding 500 GRAMS

But the Current Rules cover drones up to 35 KILOS

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... rules.html

And the future Rules up to 25 KILOS

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... gally.html
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7918 posts
3781 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:12 am
Don’t know where you guys are getting your info... regarding 500 GRAMS

But the Current Rules cover drones up to 35 KILOS

And the future Rules up to 25 KILOS
retail drones for the average consumer weigh between 1 to 2 lbs.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1244 posts
159 upvotes
Markham, ON
Good. Obviously, a cheap drone cannot withstand tougher weather up in the sky.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16713 posts
1525 upvotes
Space for rent
Can you fly them in fields like Withrow or Riverdale park? I guess the close proximity to THE DVP may be a problem.

You watch videos from car reviewers like straight pipes or throttle house, et al, they all film on roads which is a clear violation of the bylaws so it's self incriminating or do they have a commercial license to do that?
Jan 10, 2009
673 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 1:09 am
Can you fly them in fields like Withrow or Riverdale park? I guess the close proximity to THE DVP may be a problem.
Nope. It's inside City Centre Airport's control zone, you can't fly a drone inside a control zone. And it's within 5.9km of an airport, again city airport.

Controlled or Restricted Airspace
901.14 (1) Subject to subsection 901.71(1), no pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft in controlled airspace.

Operations in Controlled Airspace
901.71 (1) No pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft in controlled airspace under this Division unless the following information is provided to the provider of air traffic services in the area of operation before a proposed operation and an authorization has been issued by that provider:

(a) the date, time and duration of the operation;
(b) the category, registration number and physical characteristics of the aircraft;
(c) the vertical and horizontal boundaries of the area of operation;
(d) the route of the flight to access the area of operation;
(e) the proximity of the area of operation to manned aircraft approaches and departures and to patterns of traffic formed by manned aircraft;
(f) the means by which two-way communications with the appropriate air traffic control unit will be maintained;
(g) the name, contact information and pilot certificate number of any pilot of the aircraft;
(h) the procedures and flight profiles to be followed in the case of a lost command and control link;
(i) the procedures to be followed in emergency situations;
(j) the process and the time required to terminate the operation; and
(k) any other information required by the provider of air traffic services that is necessary for the provision of air traffic management.

Here are the full CARS covering drone and other unmanned vehicles. http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2019/ ... 1-eng.html
Jan 24, 2018
216 posts
41 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 1:09 am

You watch videos from car reviewers like straight pipes or throttle house, et al, they all film on roads which is a clear violation of the bylaws so it's self incriminating or do they have a commercial license to do that?
if you wanna follow the rules basically a 1 sentence summary of the new law is:
You are not allowed to fly your drone anywhere, not even your own backyard.

Thats it.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3656 posts
1377 upvotes
Does this apply to a $60 drone that doesn't go very high?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4068 posts
527 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:39 pm
Does this apply to a $60 drone that doesn't go very high?
depends on how much it weights. under 250g you don't need to do anything.