Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1092 posts
759 upvotes
GTA

New Eavestrough with Alurex permanent eaves screen

Hi everyone,
Has anyone has this product installed?

I am going to have my eaves replaced and all quotes came back to use this because it will help minimize ice damming which is an issue at my home. I have a few large trees around and I typically don’t find a lot of leaves in my gutters. It’s mostly shingle grit.

I’m just skeptical of the usefulness or advertised benefits.

It’s about 400 for the 92 linear feet that I need so it’s not a huge expense but I’m curious about cleaning it out and what other maintenance people do with it as well.

Thanks
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
7631 posts
2175 upvotes
Absolutely get the screen. I have one section without screen and it was clogged with leaves. $400 isn't much compared to the entire eaves replacement.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
I had screens installed to reduce the amount of cleaning I have to do every year and I have to say the screens are effective. I used to do two cleanings a year, one in early summer and one in late fall. The real difficulty for me was the late fall cleaning because the tree at the side of the house doesn't shed all the leaves until around mid December. Sometimes, it takes a good snowfall to help drop the leaves. That tree really fills the gutters. Now, I only inspect once in mid summer.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
bostonontario wrote: ’,
I am going to have my eaves replaced and all quotes came back to use this because it will help minimize ice damming which is an issue at my home. I have a few large trees around and I typically don’t find a lot of leaves in my gutters. It’s mostly shingle grit.
Their primary purpose is to prevent leafs from clogging the eavestrough and downspouts. Their secondary purpose is to help prevent ice dams by preventing ice from freezing up and filling/jamming the eavestroughs .

I don’t think they’ll cure ice dams just on their own, you need still to fix the primary cause - poor insulation or heat leaks into the attic

The plus side is that it does really strengthen the eavestroughs so the won’t pull right off the soffits
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1092 posts
759 upvotes
GTA
l69norm wrote: Their primary purpose is to prevent leafs from clogging the eavestrough and downspouts. Their secondary purpose is to help prevent ice dams by preventing ice from freezing up and filling/jamming the eavestroughs .

I don’t think they’ll cure ice dams just on their own, you need still to fix the primary cause - poor insulation or heat leaks into the attic

The plus side is that it does really strengthen the eavestroughs so the won’t pull right off the soffits

I am addressing the primary issue and just wanted to make it’s not a gimmick
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
bostonontario wrote: I am addressing the primary issue and just wanted to make it’s not a gimmick

Here’s snow sitting on top Alu-Rex . This was taken during a heavy downpour. You can see that the water moves down through the snow and into the eavestrough so there isn’t any water overflowing and spilling out
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1092 posts
759 upvotes
GTA
That looks like my eavestrough except it’s just a solid chunk of ice in the eavestrough.

So for maintenance- is it just a matter of lifting up a section and blasting the hose the through it?
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
bostonontario wrote: That looks like my eavestrough except it’s just a solid chunk of ice in the eavestrough.

So for maintenance- is it just a matter of lifting up a section and blasting the hose the through it?
I haven’t had to clean out the inside of the eavestrough since there were installed. I did have to pick out maple keys (helicopter seeds) out of the holes . The narrow end of the maple seed just fits into the Alu Rex holes
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1092 posts
759 upvotes
GTA
Thanks everyone- this thread makes the decision easy
Deal Addict
May 7, 2012
1096 posts
514 upvotes
bostonontario wrote: Thanks everyone- this thread makes the decision easy
Hi OP, did you go ahead with this project? Who did you use?
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1092 posts
759 upvotes
GTA
I decided to go with a company called Rousell aluminum.
They pull up, extrude it and leave them on the front lawn for me to install.
I realized I would be just under or around 1200 instead of 2500 by going with a reputable company.

Now it’s just a matter of time to do it.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
2053 posts
183 upvotes
York Region
bostonontario wrote: I decided to go with a company called Rousell aluminum.
They pull up, extrude it and leave them on the front lawn for me to install.
I realized I would be just under or around 1200 instead of 2500 by going with a reputable company.

Now it’s just a matter of time to do it.
OP, can you please post the contact info of Rousell aluminum.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1164 posts
442 upvotes
Mississauga
bostonontario

What did you get for $1200.00, for eg. 92' of measure and supply only (no install), 5" aluminum eves trough, including end caps, downspouts, with all hardware, colour of your choice?
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1092 posts
759 upvotes
GTA
Give them a shout, that number was loosely what I remember. I was on the fence about gutter guard so I might have taken it out.

Hopefully it works out for you.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1164 posts
442 upvotes
Mississauga
The math doesn't work for me as you say it's 92 linear feet @$2.50 per foot for eves, and if you got the gutter/leaf guard that's $2.50 per foot = $460.00 include another $50.00 for end caps, that's $510.00, not $1200.00. Can someone please correct my math?

If I read correctly you stated "I was on the fence about gutter guard so I might have taken it out.", which sounds like you didn't get the gutter guard, therefore deduct $230.00.