• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2005 12:33 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 26, 2004
302 posts
Santa Clara, CA
ChiGGz wrote:ouch...
The whole point was that previous gen cars were more performance ..but i suppose i didnt really make that clear...

Actually RX-8 compared to RX-7, you would expect something faster...especially with the hype of faster and faster cars

Celica compared to a much faster supra, sure their different models but it was just a base comparison.

The makers are making their cars slower compared to what it should be superceding.

And i did say AWD turbo, GSX is within my price range that has both.
Umm, do you even know what you're talking about?

The newest celica performs better than all of the previous ones. And mind you, the Celica hasn't exactly been a great performer in the past.

The new RX-8 is only slightly slower than the older previous generation RX-7's that were Twin Turbo'ed! And the new RX-8 has proper seating for four people.

I think what you don't realize is that Turbo's are a big problem, especially for a car company that relies on its cars being reliable.

There's also the issue of safety. A great example of this is the older generation Toyota MR2, which was a little car that made around 240HP, the current generation is somewhere arond 120HP and looks radically different. And there is a reason for this, the older car had a short wheelbase, very little weight on the front wheels, and had a lot of power, it was a very unforgiving car. The new car has less power and has a very long wheelbase to increase stability. For a company like Toyota that has a reputation of being a safe and reliable company, having kids getting themselves killed in these cars doesn't do too much for that image. On top of that, a lot of idiots in the US decide to file lawsuits against the company when they've driven wrecklessly.

Another thing, some of these higher end sports cars are often sold at a loss, and are used to keep up a company image. The Supra was discontinued because of poor sales, and wasn't doing too much to help the company's image. Mind you, it's been rumored that Toyota is developing a next generation Supra that will be a supercar somewhere between the Porsche 911-Ferrari F430 territory.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14332 posts
100 upvotes
Mississauga
MameXP wrote:^^^^ Ge its Mitsu man how can you compare it to Infinity and BMW.
I compare to BMW because the price of a 325i base model is only $5000 more than the Eclipse. What on earth is Mitsu doing in this price range?

The Mitsu is a piece of sh!t, wrapped in sexy fibreglass.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14332 posts
100 upvotes
Mississauga
Is this a new thread? Or does this somehow relate to th Eclipse?
relativity wrote:Umm, do you even know what you're talking about?

The newest celica performs better than all of the previous ones. And mind you, the Celica hasn't exactly been a great performer in the past.

The new RX-8 is only slightly slower than the older previous generation RX-7's that were Twin Turbo'ed! And the new RX-8 has proper seating for four people.

I think what you don't realize is that Turbo's are a big problem, especially for a car company that relies on its cars being reliable.

There's also the issue of safety. A great example of this is the older generation Toyota MR2, which was a little car that made around 240HP, the current generation is somewhere arond 120HP and looks radically different. And there is a reason for this, the older car had a short wheelbase, very little weight on the front wheels, and had a lot of power, it was a very unforgiving car. The new car has less power and has a very long wheelbase to increase stability. For a company like Toyota that has a reputation of being a safe and reliable company, having kids getting themselves killed in these cars doesn't do too much for that image. On top of that, a lot of idiots in the US decide to file lawsuits against the company when they've driven wrecklessly.

Another thing, some of these higher end sports cars are often sold at a loss, and are used to keep up a company image. The Supra was discontinued because of poor sales, and wasn't doing too much to help the company's image. Mind you, it's been rumored that Toyota is developing a next generation Supra that will be a supercar somewhere between the Porsche 911-Ferrari F430 territory.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."