Tags:
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
7752 posts
12354 upvotes
Scarborough

New feature: Thread Hiding

Today we released a new feature to the forums called Thread Hiding. This will allow you to hide any thread which you do not want to appear while browsing a forum. There are times when you'll see the same thread which you have no interest in appear over and over again and now you have the ability to remove it from your view. To do so just follow the steps below:

Enable thread hiding here: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php ... hidetopics

wheretofind.jpg

You'll then see an eye icon next to each thread while browsing the forums. Clicking this icon will hide the thread and the next time you refresh the page it will be removed from your view. If you accidentally clicked this icon, want to make a thread visible again or just want to see what you've hidden, you can view those threads on the same page where you enabled this feature.

howtohide.jpg

We hope that you'll enjoy having the ability to hide threads and that it will make browsing the forums a more organized and enjoyable experience. If you have any comments or questions about this feature please let us know in the comments below. Note that this feature is only available for registered users so if you don't already have an account with us, sign up today.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
52 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5639 posts
598 upvotes
Grimsby
Excellent thanks guys, this will make browsing a lot more palatable in some discussion forums and for Hot Deals on big release days.
Mar 2, 2008
135 posts
65 upvotes
Penticton
Funny, I was just thinking about this again this morning. Major kudos!!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1564 posts
189 upvotes
Probably wishful thinking, but will you extend this feature to categories or tags? For example, politics/religion topics are still cluttering OT, so a very useful feature would be to "Batch Hide" certain topics (ie Trump, immigration, religion, etc.) or in case of Hot Deals section, "Batch Hide" categories (Apparel, video games, Furniture, etc) or stores (ie Costco)?
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
7752 posts
12354 upvotes
Scarborough
akira1971 wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 2:30 pm
Probably wishful thinking, but will you extend this feature to categories or tags? For example, politics/religion topics are still cluttering OT, so a very useful feature would be to "Batch Hide" certain topics (ie Trump, immigration, religion, etc.) or in case of Hot Deals section, "Batch Hide" categories (Apparel, video games, Furniture, etc) or stores (ie Costco)?
Wishful thinking it is not! We are actually looking to add personalization via categories (like those in Hot Deals). You would choose which you want to see (or not see) and then only those would appear when you visit that forum. The same logic could then be applied to other forums where it makes sense (off topic being one of them) and be able to pick only the categories you want to see. We had hoped to get that done alongside this update but had to switch over to another project before it could get started. With any luck it'll be added in later this year so keep those fingers crossed.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2007
3799 posts
382 upvotes
Toronto
there seems to be problem with sorting (with start date) when some threads are hidden.

newer threads show up again on the final pages, where should be left empty.
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
7752 posts
12354 upvotes
Scarborough
ppnndd wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 2:39 pm
there seems to be problem with sorting (with start date) when some threads are hidden.

newer threads show up again on the final pages, where should be left empty.
The most recently hidden thread will appear at the top and it goes back by date hidden. It's not meant to be used for organizational purposes.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2012
4948 posts
1924 upvotes
Winnipeg
This is very useful...
Now I can hide all the GTA threads, chinese phone and tablet threads etc...
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2007
3799 posts
382 upvotes
Toronto
TomRFD wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 2:48 pm
The most recently hidden thread will appear at the top and it goes back by date hidden. It's not meant to be used for organizational purposes.
no, it's the unhidden newer threads show up again on final pages when viewing by start date. the final pages should be empty due to the hidden threads.
Jan 2, 2017
72 posts
22 upvotes
THANK YOU! This is awesome. Definitely going to use this.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11105 posts
2218 upvotes
Montreal
BEST... FEATURE... EVER!!!

I have wanted this for soooo long, as a lot of idiotic posts keep being bumped to the front page like a bad penny. Now I can smoke them and forget about it.

Thank you RFD!
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
3544 posts
763 upvotes
Honestly I really doubt many people wanted such a feature to begin with, other than a very small vocal minority. If there is something that doesn't interest me, I just skip it. I have no interest in living in a bubble where I am progressively only exposed to things I am comfortable with or that cater to my own interests.

I don't understand why this feature was developed, instead of doing something about the downvotes, which is a much bigger factor of aggravation for many regulars. It impacts the experience negatively much more to be punished for posting an unpopular deal or an unpopular opinion or for having antagonists who repeatedly retaliate to your mere presence, than to merely see fewer threads titles toward which one has no particular affinity.
As we all know, the Greater Toronto Area is the center of the universe!
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
3869 posts
316 upvotes
Markham
TomRFD wrote: Wishful thinking it is not! We are actually looking to add personalization via categories (like those in Hot Deals). You would choose which you want to see (or not see) and then only those would appear when you visit that forum. The same logic could then be applied to other forums where it makes sense (off topic being one of them) and be able to pick only the categories you want to see. We had hoped to get that done alongside this update but had to switch over to another project before it could get started. With any luck it'll be added in later this year so keep those fingers crossed.
Then i'd ask hide entire forums feature. For example I want to hide off topic/pets/ sports.It's more for iOS new forum app. When I swipe right, I only want to see the forum I want to visit
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
7752 posts
12354 upvotes
Scarborough
smartie wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 8:32 pm
Then i'd ask hide entire forums feature. For example I want to hide off topic/pets/ sports.It's more for iOS new forum app. When I swipe right, I only want to see the forum I want to visit
This is also something we're looking into. The forums app may get this feature (to some degree) earlier due to us using more flexibility with display options there. I won't say more on that yet as I don't know for sure if or when that's happening.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel