• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2017 8:16 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2338 posts
151 upvotes
Very nifty feature but it seems like a bit self-censorship.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
2970 posts
2133 upvotes
Burnaby
This feature is worth being a sticky thread in SC&S and being announced in a banner in landing page (or most visited fora) or at Facebook anywhere with more visibility. It'll be appreciated by many users if they are aware of it.
yare yare daze...

[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion and advertising]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17017 posts
1876 upvotes
GTA West
I'm guessing that all of the complaints about Trump threads hastened this feature along. Glad to see it's available.

Hopefully this is also the first step to enabling a 'Silent Ban' feature, where the person is not informed they are banned, but their posts and threads are invisible to everyone except themselves.
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8562 posts
12915 upvotes
Scarborough
aviador wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 10:19 pm
This feature is worth being a sticky thread in SC&S and being announced in a banner in landing page (or most visited fora) or at Facebook anywhere with more visibility. It'll be appreciated by many users if they are aware of it.
We're going to be promoting it for the next little while to help get the word out. Most users don't go through their settings pages often to discover it so we want everyone to be aware of this new feature.
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 10:54 pm
I'm guessing that all of the complaints about Trump threads hastened this feature along. Glad to see it's available.

Hopefully this is also the first step to enabling a 'Silent Ban' feature, where the person is not informed they are banned, but their posts and threads are invisible to everyone except themselves.
Trump threads didn't actually have any influence on the timeline of us adding this in but I'm sure many people will be happy to be able to hide those now.

If implementing a silent ban feature was easy to do we might consider it but even then most savvy users would quickly realize that they're in that state and then just start a new account.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
2578 posts
1044 upvotes
New feature: Thread Hiding is a good initiative but I would like to suggest something else to add.

I would like the option for original posters of new threads to have the option to make new posts only visible to registered members of RFD if they choose to.

Understandably RFD's revenue is click and eyeball generated from lurkers as well as registered members but I believe that such an option would encourage coversions from lurkers to registered members and this would be a plus for RFD.
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8562 posts
12915 upvotes
Scarborough
Redscott wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 7:42 am
New feature: Thread Hiding is a good initiative but I would like to suggest something else to add.

I would like the option for original posters of new threads to have the option to make new posts only visible to registered members of RFD if they choose to.

Understandably RFD's revenue is click and eyeball generated from lurkers as well as registered members but I believe that such an option would encourage coversions from lurkers to registered members and this would be a plus for RFD.
This idea has been brought forth before but it's not something that we're currently looking into doing. There's a lot of negatives from a business perspective although I do agree it would have some benefits as well. I've personally always hated sites that force you to register to access their information. If we ever did something with this it might be that registered users get a small window to see the deals before they show up to guests. Something in the lines of 15-30 minutes.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
2156 posts
888 upvotes
Muskoka
Question:

If I do a search will it search threads that I have hidden? I would hope that it would search all threads in scope regardless of hidden attribute.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2009
3251 posts
19312 upvotes
North York
This makes things so much better - less scrolling too!
Aug 18, 2011
192 posts
133 upvotes
North York
Love the new feature, great for filtering out the view. I have found what appears to be bug, in that, Moved threads can't seem to be Hidden. Example:

In the Hot Deals section ( hot-deals-f9/ ), there's a thread that was Moved: Lofree Mechanical Keyboard $74 USD

I clicked hide and refresh a couple times, and it still persists. Thanks.
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8562 posts
12915 upvotes
Scarborough
HoRRo wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 2:52 pm
Love the new feature, great for filtering out the view. I have found what appears to be bug, in that, Moved threads can't seem to be Hidden. Example:

In the Hot Deals section ( hot-deals-f9/ ), there's a thread that was Moved: Lofree Mechanical Keyboard $74 USD

I clicked hide and refresh a couple times, and it still persists. Thanks.
Glad to hear you're liking the new feature. Moved threads aren't actually threads so it's not strange that their "Moved" placeholder can't be hidden. They cannot be bumped so they'll just naturally fall off the page as time goes on and eventually be removed entirely.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
1255 posts
287 upvotes
West Vancouver
A change that doesn't suck, nice!
Apr 16, 2009
894 posts
204 upvotes
Vancouver
Aww yee! Super useful feature. Thanks guys.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
2156 posts
888 upvotes
Muskoka
I used this feature to hide the sticky announcement for this thread at the top of the Hot Deals forum Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

I noticed that the settings saved are server side, I went to my phone and the hidden threads were also hidden there automatically. I hope this does not slow down or overtax the server as it deals with a slightly more complex/unique query.
May 10, 2016
2 posts
1 upvote
TomRFD wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 2:59 pm
Glad to hear you're liking the new feature. Moved threads aren't actually threads so it's not strange that their "Moved" placeholder can't be hidden. They cannot be bumped so they'll just naturally fall off the page as time goes on and eventually be removed entirely.
Thank you for this update TomRFD. My entire feed is pretty much "MOVED" items because I'm hiding everything I'll never want to follow-up on. Is there a way to hide these or do I just wait for them to be buried by more "moved" or "new" items?
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8562 posts
12915 upvotes
Scarborough
spotts01 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 4:14 pm
I used this feature to hide the sticky announcement for this thread at the top of the Hot Deals forum Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

I noticed that the settings saved are server side, I went to my phone and the hidden threads were also hidden there automatically. I hope this does not slow down or overtax the server as it deals with a slightly more complex/unique query.
We may someday prevent stickied threads from being hidden due to them often being important announcements and such. For now it works so hide away if you want to.

We purposely made it a server side setting because we know people use the forums on multiple devices and wanted the experience to be the same on each device. It shouldn't cause any performance issues but we'll be monitoring it to make sure.
Jesse0l wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 4:53 pm
Thank you for this update TomRFD. My entire feed is pretty much "MOVED" items because I'm hiding everything I'll never want to follow-up on. Is there a way to hide these or do I just wait for them to be buried by more "moved" or "new" items?
Just to be clear you hid every thread in a forum so that all that remains are the moved redirects? I'll be working on the expiry of those redirects soon so that only those from the previous X days will remain.