• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2017 8:16 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2003
9996 posts
375 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Love the new feature. Any chance it will be extended to automatically block based on words 'YMMV' or things like 'QC ONLY', etc.?

Regardless, this is the best update I've ever seen on RFD.
KitKat item collector- always looking for swag or branded items.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13630 posts
3409 upvotes
Toronto
I would be interested in hiding all threads i have already viewed the titles for, for example i browse hot deals see nothing i like (or a few i do and click on them), hide all posts just in hot deals so new hot deals show up, i view the newly created threads later then hide them. The idea being that i would only see new to me posted hot deals.
Is this doable?
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8562 posts
12915 upvotes
Scarborough
Feneant wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 9:23 am
Love the new feature. Any chance it will be extended to automatically block based on words 'YMMV' or things like 'QC ONLY', etc.?

Regardless, this is the best update I've ever seen on RFD.
It's not in our current plans to automatically filter out content. We don't want people to miss out on things and no filtering will be perfect. There's a chance we might be able to add an additional layer of customization in the future which may cover regional deals and things like YMMV deals.
Quentin5 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 5:54 pm
I would be interested in hiding all threads i have already viewed the titles for, for example i browse hot deals see nothing i like (or a few i do and click on them), hide all posts just in hot deals so new hot deals show up, i view the newly created threads later then hide them. The idea being that i would only see new to me posted hot deals.
Is this doable?
There's no plans on adding a hide-all option. It's not really how we intended this to be used although if people want to do that by manually clicking every single thread they're welcomed to. From your described scenario viewing the forum with filtering by start date newest to oldest would kind of give you the same result.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Jun 21, 2011
424 posts
278 upvotes
Vancouver
TomRFD wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 2:59 pm
Glad to hear you're liking the new feature. Moved threads aren't actually threads so it's not strange that their "Moved" placeholder can't be hidden. They cannot be bumped so they'll just naturally fall off the page as time goes on and eventually be removed entirely.
Is there an opportunity here where "moved" threads just disappear from their original sections altogether after they have been moved?
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8562 posts
12915 upvotes
Scarborough
yau1225 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 9:24 pm
Is there an opportunity here where "moved" threads just disappear from their original sections altogether after they have been moved?
Yes we're in the process of working on that. Right now they're not being removed automatically but soon that'll be an automated process after X amount of days.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
2254 posts
3151 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
TomRFD wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 5:02 pm
We purposely made it a server side setting because we know people use the forums on multiple devices and wanted the experience to be the same on each device. It shouldn't cause any performance issues but we'll be monitoring it to make sure.
I noticed that threads that I've hidden are not appearing on the RFD app on my Android device but are appearing on the RFD Forums app on the same Android device. Will this hidden feature functionality be added for the Forums app?

BTW, I did update the Forums app to the latest release and logged out and back in. The threads I hid still appear in the Forums app.
Nov 17, 2016
293 posts
286 upvotes
TomRFD wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 9:27 pm
Yes we're in the process of working on that. Right now they're not being removed automatically but soon that'll be an automated process after X amount of days.
May want to make this a short expiry. After hiding all the garbage in Hot Deals section, half of my screen is either "moved" or "merged" threads that I cannot get rid of. If it's been moved, it probably wasn't a hot deal.

Also quick "Undo" button would be nice in case of misclick. Why not make clicking same button again do an undo?

At least now I don't have to write how useless deals with negative scores are clogging hot deals section.
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8562 posts
12915 upvotes
Scarborough
trystee wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 11:36 pm
I noticed that threads that I've hidden are not appearing on the RFD app on my Android device but are appearing on the RFD Forums app on the same Android device. Will this hidden feature functionality be added for the Forums app?

BTW, I did update the Forums app to the latest release and logged out and back in. The threads I hid still appear in the Forums app.
The forums apps still do not have this feature within them. Both are still considered beta at this point but it is in our plans to extend this functionality to the forums apps. I received a rough estimate of 1-2 months before this might happen.
Travellots wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 1:11 pm
May want to make this a short expiry. After hiding all the garbage in Hot Deals section, half of my screen is either "moved" or "merged" threads that I cannot get rid of. If it's been moved, it probably wasn't a hot deal.

Also quick "Undo" button would be nice in case of misclick. Why not make clicking same button again do an undo?

At least now I don't have to write how useless deals with negative scores are clogging hot deals section.
Right now it's set to 7 days and will hopefully kick in tomorrow.

An undo button would be nice. I'll see if that can be done.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
1255 posts
287 upvotes
West Vancouver
Is there a limit to how many you can hide? All of a sudden I find that I can't hide anymore. Strange.
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8562 posts
12915 upvotes
Scarborough
Sorcerer wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 11:59 pm
Is there a limit to how many you can hide? All of a sudden I find that I can't hide anymore. Strange.
Not that I was made aware of. How many thread have you hidden?
Nov 17, 2016
293 posts
286 upvotes
TomRFD wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 11:06 am
Not that I was made aware of. How many thread have you hidden?
I have not run into this and I have hidden 42 pages worth so far (thats what it says when I go to hidden thread page)

I hope there is no limit, because this is best feature I've seen in a few years. It really keeps aggravation down.

I think keeping moved/merged with short expiry works well because if people remember a thread and its not there, search by typing few key words (retailer, item title, etc) works well. Right now I'm seeing 50% of first page, then about 70-80% of following pages are those threads I have to filter out visually.
Jun 7, 2011
68 posts
31 upvotes
Orangeville
Hiding doesn't work on merged threads.
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8562 posts
12915 upvotes
Scarborough
Pants536 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 1:41 pm
Hiding doesn't work on merged threads.
As stated previously in this thread, those aren't actually threads and they *should* auto expire.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10487 posts
2131 upvotes
GTA
I have been wishing for this feature for 10yrs+ !!!

There has been nothing worse than seeing a monster thread for months and months and you have absolutely no interest on the subject matter.

A massive thank you!!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8562 posts
12915 upvotes
Scarborough
Hugh Jass wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 9:31 am
I have been wishing for this feature for 10yrs+ !!!

There has been nothing worse than seeing a monster thread for months and months and you have absolutely no interest on the subject matter.

A massive thank you!!
Glad you like it. One of the benefits of last years upgrade was that it allowed us to add in features like this.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)