New gasline hookup for bbq

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 1:18 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 5, 2017
3 posts

New gasline hookup for bbq

Hello, I recently had a gas line installed for a gas bbq.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing a piece, but don't know what. Two of the images show what I believe is the quick connect... The other image is the gas line outside.. None of the connectors I have are that small.. So my question is, does anyone know what I'm missing to connect the quick connect to the gas pipe?
Images
  • IMG_20171206_211256.jpg
  • IMG_20171206_211251.jpg
  • IMG_20171206_211218.jpg
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1272 posts
432 upvotes
Alliston, ON
That fitting with the gauge on it needs to come off. That little silver nipple next to the gauge is used to apply air pressure to the line to check it for leaks. You need to get the proper male QC fitting and thread it into the pipe where the gauge is connected
[OP]
Dec 5, 2017
3 posts
Thanks schade. I'm guessing this is the plumbers equipment that he perhaps forgot to remove after the job was complete.
[OP]
Dec 5, 2017
3 posts
tebore wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 9:53 am
What kind of hack job is that?
Can you explain why you think that? I'm actually curious as this is totally out of my expertise. Also, please not that the rusty looking knob, along with the guage will be removed, as it's not part of the gas pipe.
Jul 7, 2017
55 posts
9 upvotes
What type of gas are you using? I'm not so sure about that fitting with the exposed spring.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7873 posts
2033 upvotes
Toronto
JonahL wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 10:03 am
Can you explain why you think that? I'm actually curious as this is totally out of my expertise. Also, please not that the rusty looking knob, along with the guage will be removed, as it's not part of the gas pipe.
I'm assuming because the pipe looks 'old' and the direction of the line. Lines are normally spray painted from my experience and I've never seen gas lines that just extend outward like that.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7898 posts
1955 upvotes
Brampton
koffey wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 1:09 pm
I'm assuming because the pipe looks 'old' and the direction of the line. Lines are normally spray painted from my experience and I've never seen gas lines that just extend outward like that.
It's ok to "Look old" but many would give it a nice coat of paint prevent further corrosion.
The seal around the opening looks sloppy.
Forgetting to take the meter off and put on the QC is sloppy.

A good install would have the pipe supported as well.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)