Computers & Electronics

New gigabit customer speed expectations?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2019 1:51 pm
[OP]
Dec 2, 2006
490 posts
54 upvotes
Bradford

New gigabit customer speed expectations?

Having issues getting advertised speeds. Under half actually. Around 400mbps download wireless and even slower wired? how can this be LOL? Tried with bridge mode and with my asus RT-AC86U and without bridge mode just using the gigabit router from rogers results in same speeds.

any help appreciated
15 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16419 posts
3502 upvotes
Toronto
Too many variables.

1. Wireless is normally much slower. 400 Mbps is decent for wireless, but it depends on your hardware, and sometimes the software.
2. Wired should be better but it also depends on the hardware, and the software that's running too. For example in some setups with an older machine running anti-virus software, that might be the expected speed.
3. How are you testing? The server could also be an issue.
etc.

Hell, you don't even tell us what modem you are using.

Also, for most people, it's just about bragging rights. I have Rogers Gigabit at 935 Mbps (wired) with the CODA-4582U and personally I'd be happy with 1/2 or maybe even 1/3 that speed. If I could get 300 Mbps for a lower price, I'd do it, but there is no discount on this promotion so I may as well stick with Gigabit.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16419 posts
3502 upvotes
Toronto
Zat wrote:
Mar 9th, 2019 10:33 am
I thought the rogers gigabit modems were all the same. They gave me a CODA-4582U. Used
https://www.rogers.com/customer/support ... -speedtest
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest
https://fast.com/
all roughly the same
Nah, they use a different modem for Ignite TV.

But yeah, I get 900+ Mbps out of my CODA-4582U.

However, as mentioned, you can't assume the problem is with the cable connection or the modem. It could very well be your computer itself. This is especially true for WiFi, but also can be true for wired as well.
[OP]
Dec 2, 2006
490 posts
54 upvotes
Bradford
yea true. tested on 2 different laptops same thing. I am getting a tech to come and see.
thanks
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20471 posts
6576 upvotes
What's your speed like direct to the modem?

In 99.99% of cases, the consumer router between things is to blame.

Also you'll never hit gigabit on wireless.
Not hitting it on wireful however...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20471 posts
6576 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Mar 9th, 2019 2:26 pm
It's possible to do 900 Mbps on wireless.
Still not technically gigabit.
It's only 10% short, but it's still short.
I'd also imagine that's under pretty ideal conditions.

EDIT: I should mention that this is actually pretty impressive.
I didn't think we'd actually come this close.
I'm also old apparently...
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16419 posts
3502 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:
Mar 9th, 2019 2:38 pm
Still not technically gigabit.
It's only 10% short, but it's still short.
I'd also imagine that's under pretty ideal conditions.
Well, Gigabit Ethernet isn't usually 1000 Mbps either. :) My machines max out under 950 Mbps wired IIRC.

Yes, that's under ideal conditions, but it should be noted that's with 3x3 MIMO. 4x4 MIMO also is an option, and that can technically get over 1000 Mbps speeds. I do admit there isn't much 4x4 stuff out there though.

FWIW, with my 2x2 MIMO MacBook non-Pro (2017) paired with my 3x3 MIMO 6th gen AirPort Extreme, I can get about 550 Mbps. With my 3x3 MIMO iMac I get around 700 Mbps. However, that AirPort Extreme is a 6 year-old consumer router which came out in 2013. In my setup it's ideal placement though, because the WiFi router is right on the desk where I do my work, since I want fast laptop WiFi speeds at my work desk, and because the access point also acts as a wired switch for my other equipment there. I'd guess the iMac would be able to do 800+ if the router were a more modern one. (I love my AirPorts though due to the fact they are amongst the most stable out there, and they're pretty easy to configure, and now that they have been discontinued, you can pick them up cheap on eBay.)
[OP]
Dec 2, 2006
490 posts
54 upvotes
Bradford
death_hawk wrote:
Mar 9th, 2019 2:15 pm
What's your speed like direct to the modem?

In 99.99% of cases, the consumer router between things is to blame.

Also you'll never hit gigabit on wireless.
Not hitting it on wireful however...
I was connecting right to the modem to test. Ok so it seems that my laptops are old which I forgot and the cards cant handle the speeds.

BUT! Tech came out and installed a filter? then couldnt test with his laptop because it was broken? so he couldnt prove to me a good direct wired test speed but We are getting 500mbps with my iphone. He said that would translate to about 800mbps with wired connection.
also I direct connected my sons xbox which isnt that old and can only get 450mbps
faster then what I had but not what was promised....
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16419 posts
3502 upvotes
Toronto
Zat wrote:
Mar 9th, 2019 5:59 pm
I was connecting right to the modem to test. Ok so it seems that my laptops are old which I forgot and the cards cant handle the speeds.

BUT! Tech came out and installed a filter? then couldnt test with his laptop because it was broken? so he couldnt prove to me a good direct wired test speed but We are getting 500mbps with my iphone. He said that would translate to about 800mbps with wired connection.
also I direct connected my sons xbox which isnt that old and can only get 450mbps
faster then what I had but not what was promised....
Personally I would just stop worrying. It sounds like you probably don't have hardware capable of max speeds anyway. It's hard for you to legitimately complain about the speeds if your hardware isn't up to the task in the first place.
[OP]
Dec 2, 2006
490 posts
54 upvotes
Bradford
EugW wrote:
Mar 9th, 2019 6:20 pm
Personally I would just stop worrying. It sounds like you probably don't have hardware capable of max speeds anyway. It's hard for you to legitimately complain about the speeds if your hardware isn't up to the task in the first place.
I was thinking the same thing, I have many android boxes running iptv hardwired and just want as smooth as possible streaming
Jun 15, 2011
39092 posts
5725 upvotes
King City
Just thought I'd share this here, but loving the Bell Fibe 1Gbps. Going to be canceling the Rogers 150U once I configure my managed security appliance, switch and AP on the Bell network. Will be testing out the WiFi speeds once I configure my network appliances.

Paying $60 + taxes a month (no contract) for the Bell Fibe 1 Gbps. This is after I connected my laptop to the ethernet port in the family room. Just finished crimping and adding the ethernet ports to three rooms in the household.

I am located in King City

The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
16419 posts
3502 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote:
Mar 10th, 2019 11:51 am
Just thought I'd share this here, but loving the Bell Fibe 1Gbps. Going to be canceling the Rogers 150U once I configure my managed security appliance, switch and AP on the Bell network. Will be testing out the WiFi speeds once I configure my network appliances.

Paying $60 + taxes a month (no contract) for the Bell Fibe 1 Gbps. This is after I connected my laptop to the ethernet port in the family room. Just finished crimping and adding the ethernet ports to three rooms in the household.

I am located in King City

I just switched from Bell Fibe 1 Gbps to Rogers Ignite 1 Gbps. Bell wouldn't give me a good deal after my promotion ended.

I'm paying $105 per month for Gigabit internet + Premier TV + Home Phone + 4K PVR + 4K TV receiver + 1 year of Crave/HBO/TMN. The main difference is Rogers has slower upload, but fortunately it's not critical for me. For download I'm at 940 Mbps wired and about 700 Mbps wireless (through an AirPort Extreme).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
8173 posts
1352 upvotes
Winnipeg
heres 2 things to remember about gigabit conection.

1) most wireless clients max at ac 866 affordably. Thats 2x2 at 80mhz. Most reliably use 40mhz because penetration and distance is greater with lower power consumption than even 80 especially 160 and moving to 3x3 or 4x4 the higher channels? = less channels available. 160mhz has 1 channel and no distance and uses way more power consumption for clients like hand helds.

So you roughly could expect to hit a reliable real world best around 250-500 Mbps over wifi sustained on decent hardware.

2) gigabit wan to lan mostly requires hardware nat to pull it off. With hardware nat my old 350 mhz single core soc router can achieve close to true wan to lan gigabit. But times have changed. There are way too many clients negotiating all the simultaneous connections and way to much need for protection etc.

So you have to have so form of traffic shaping and some form of encryption firewall adblock the list grows all the time. Once you do that hardware nat can't run on most routers. That requires software only. Even the powerful routers with multiple cores manage roughly 450-600 Mbps without hardware nat running. Another thing to consider is encryption. Even a multicore won't help without crypto hardware based support. Why? because its mostly not optimize for multicore usage. Its mostly single core dependent. That means the single core has to be clocked and running dam high and doing so directs power away from other cores to be available.

Thats where its gets worse. Because anything that runs or needs a high core singe cpu often needs a governor to lever power and heat. So for example say you used an arm based multicore thats says like 2 ghz quadcore etc. It starts disabling cores to hit meet that rate. So more power directed towards one single core to hit that 2ghz max rating. Then as it gets hotter it starts throttling back. The governor starts disabling cores lowering mhz rates to keep it within its rated power consumption as well.

I personally don't see any real world eveyday common cheap affordable solutions rated above 500 Mbps isp connections to merit it. But if the prices are the same for gigabit then who cares which you chose.