Careers

New Grad in Petroleum Engineer from UofA seeking for future

[OP]
Jul 24, 2017
2 posts

New Grad in Petroleum Engineer from UofA seeking for future

I am a new grad petroleum engineer from UofA last year, tried to find a job at oil gas industry for the last full year, but I failed:(
Now I am thinking of two ways, first one is stay positive and try my best to find jobs in oil gas industry, but I am not sure if I need to take any courses or get any license from SAIT or NAIT, and wondering what course should I go.
Another one is lots of my friends they went to financial or banking career, and mostly they get a job at least which are professional career with future. So i also applied some banking job, customer service representative for example. Got an referral opportunity and passed first 2 interviews but failed at the end. Now I am trying to get some licence like mutual funds and csc, I am not sure what else I should do if I truly hope to enter banking career.
Help me please
11 replies
Jan 12, 2010
127 posts
27 upvotes
Look outside of Canada, tough times calls for tough measures, look at US shale plays, UAE, Dubai and get yourself out there. Any RFDers who work in oil want to chime in?
There are lots of folks here who work in oil and gas.
I know FirstGear [a fellow RFDer...] is in Edmonton and can offer you some valuable tips on working the oil fields.
Last edited by UNOAIMX on Jul 25th, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 15, 2016
7 posts
1 upvote
The O & G industry is in a tough place right now for everyone. If you are set on getting your foot in the door, I would recommend getting some field experience any way you can. That might mean getting safety tickets and possibly a class 1 drivers license and applying to service companies in some of the smaller towns. I know the fraccers like STEP, Canyon/Trican, and Calfrac are still busy right now and looking for field help(see some of the postings on Your text to link here...). Often times the best way to get these jobs is to show up with the required certifications and a resume at their field office in Leduc, Edson, Dawson Creek, Grand Prairie, etc and be ready to start immediately.

If you put in some time in the field it will go a long way in making your resume stand out when moving up into more technical engineering positions. Even when times were good it was expected that new grad engineers would put in some significant field time before moving into the office. You would be surprised at how many of the decision makers in Calgary started out working on rigs or in field operations.

That being said, this industry may not be where you want to direct your career given the way things have gone the last few years. There are no guarantees that there will be another boom here in Canada and if you aren't really interested or passionate about the work then you may be better off looking at alternative paths. Hope that helps a bit
Last edited by Brewmaster7 on Jul 25th, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 12, 2010
127 posts
27 upvotes
AnthonyL585294 wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 9:18 pm
Firstgear Auto?
FirstGear is another RFDer who works in Edmonton region, he has a nice blog on his journeys in Alberta.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3319 posts
278 upvotes
Calgary
You might want to look up the number of finance/banking posts on here saying they can't get work before you commit to changing your career goals. For the most part, if you weren't actively looking while still a student, you're likely behind the curve.

Best of luck, but don't fall for the "grass is greener" perspective without some serious background work and a clear path in mind.
Jul 15, 2009
159 posts
60 upvotes
Edmonton
Couple questions about the OP. First off, did you not have any summer / internship experience in O&G? What is your specialization in school (which particular area of petro.eng have you done particular well)? What have you actually done in the past 1.5 years regarding job seeking? Why did you not have a plan B when you couldn't find any engineering work by September LAST YEAR?

suggestions from the others in RFD:
Trade - do you have the physique to trade? (it's very hard work).
USA - for someone with no experience and non P.Eng., good luck trying to get TN VISA in Trump nation.
Retail banking - minimum paying job that demand a dress code.
Mar 16, 2013
68 posts
18 upvotes
AnthonyL585294 wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 2:28 pm
I am a new grad petroleum engineer from UofA last year, tried to find a job at oil gas industry for the last full year, but I failed:(
Now I am thinking of two ways, first one is stay positive and try my best to find jobs in oil gas industry, but I am not sure if I need to take any courses or get any license from SAIT or NAIT, and wondering what course should I go.
Another one is lots of my friends they went to financial or banking career, and mostly they get a job at least which are professional career with future. So i also applied some banking job, customer service representative for example. Got an referral opportunity and passed first 2 interviews but failed at the end. Now I am trying to get some licence like mutual funds and csc, I am not sure what else I should do if I truly hope to enter banking career.
Help me please
I'm working as a Reservoir Eng. for assets offshore Eastern Canada. I got my job with the company I did multiple co-op's with, as did many of my colleagues, so my first suggestion would be to seek out any relationships you gained through work terms and network your ass off. At this stage, I would assume you already tried this. If so, the more realistic approach to actually gain employment would be to follow Brewmaster7's advice to the letter. In my opinion, do not spend money on post-grad diploma's at SAIT, trying to break into "finance", or applying for US jobs (pretty much impossible for non-US residents in 2017). Spend your money getting the certifications required to work in the field (likely not as an engineer or even an eng. tech at this point). Do your CPR/First Aid, H2S Alive, Class 1 Drivers License, and anything else you can find listed as qualification for a frac crew, field operator, rig worker, whatever floats your boat. It might take a year or two of hard work but not only will you be compensated (significantly), you'll see how operations really work in person, gain way better experience than most New Grad's without an EIT job, and eventually work your way into a role that can qualify for engineering experience or, when things pick up, get hired directly for such a position at an operator because of said experience.

Another option, if you qualify to write your Power Engineering/4th class steam ticket, do that. Some University degrees grant you that ability, I'm unsure on Alberta's rules. If you can get your 4th class, plenty of remote locations require operators where you can log your hours, make money, and move up the ladder/apply for internal positions in larger centers like Calgary.

I'm not saying to give up on hunting for Petroleum EIT positions, but doing these things in the mean time will help you become a much stronger candidate and show that you know how field operations work outside of the theory.

Best of luck.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2868 posts
669 upvotes
Edmonton
Come work in the trades to gain some experience. Fort hills is still hiring. You might like it so much you won't want to go back to engineering :)
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1534 posts
857 upvotes
benjuotterly wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 4:43 pm
USA - for someone with no experience and non P.Eng., good luck trying to get TN VISA in Trump nation.
"good luck"? As long as you can find an engineering job in the US, and have an actual Canadian degree, the OP is good to go TN-visa wise. The border guards, absent criminality, have *very* little discretion. Its not a Trump thing either.
Jul 15, 2009
159 posts
60 upvotes
Edmonton
burnt69 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 4:41 am
"good luck"? As long as you can find an engineering job in the US, and have an actual Canadian degree, the OP is good to go TN-visa wise. The border guards, absent criminality, have *very* little discretion. Its not a Trump thing either.
Thank you for the correction. I should have said "Good luck trying to get an offer from the US companies in Trump nation". You're right. TN is a piece of cake, it's getting an offer from US company that's tough. I have heard companies in the states are now required to prove they couldn't get anyone local for the position before they give an offer to Canadian (or any oversea candidates). is this true?
Apr 5, 2017
298 posts
229 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
One would think especially with right now in 'Murica...I'd say more than ever they would prefer 'Mericans. Because nationalism. But Trumpism hasn't trickled down that far, yet.

Isn't West Texas supposed to be having an oil boom? Definitely go for it. Move down there, the opportunities and everything is better than the way Canada is going. If you don't like Trump, nor does the majority of Western United States.

Also, First Gear Auto in Edmonton is a decent shop. You don't have a RHD Subaru by chance lol...I always get the feeling that's a big part of their business. Local Suby guys always recommend them. I've been there once before with my old one.