Careers

New grads - how did you get your first job?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2016 9:24 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2012
3086 posts
1101 upvotes
Toronto

New grads - how did you get your first job?

21 replies
Nov 19, 2011
305 posts
78 upvotes
Calgary
When I graduated a few years back found jobs off online Web site and the school job board, go interviews through both. I would check if your school posts industry jobs since those ones are probably looking for new grads or grad students which you fall into.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5805 posts
1972 upvotes
Toronto
How about your previous employers during co-op? I hope you at least tried to maintain some sort of contacts? Also check back the job postings from your university career center.

Also... "sent several quality applications online for a few months now"... if "several" means just a few, you should start applying for more.
Jul 6, 2008
675 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
What program? Can you code? My company is hiring a lot and we have a lot of corrupt Chinese money coming in. And yes, salary is legit. True story.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1226 posts
230 upvotes
Mecca
Bobby66 wrote: What program? Can you code? My company is hiring a lot and we have a lot of corrupt Chinese money coming in. And yes, salary is legit. True story.
What programming languages do you guys use?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1803 posts
851 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
ashihtaka wrote: After completing my degree in engineering from Waterloo, it seems that there are little to no jobs for the new graduate available (engineering or not).
I've had over a year of industry experience, and a solid resume for a new graduate. I've tailored and sent several quality applications online for a few months now, but with very little success.
Have also attended several career fairs and networked to build relations with many people, but with no current leads.

Does anyone know of reputable employment agencies in GTA or anywhere a new grad can turn to for support in this process?
Or if there is any valuable advice you may have to facilitate the process of getting that first job, I would appreciate your input.
What kind of engineering?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
352 upvotes
ashihtaka wrote: After completing my degree in engineering from Waterloo, it seems that there are little to no jobs for the new graduate available (engineering or not).
When I graduated in 08' I couldn't find job for a year ( Engineering). Its always tough for new grad.
I've had over a year of industry experience, and a solid resume for a new graduate. I've tailored and sent several quality applications online for a few months now, but with very little success.
Have also attended several career fairs and networked to build relations with many people, but with no current leads.
How many companies you did Coop at? contact them all for jobs.

Career fairs are waste of time, they just say apply online. To build relation, you have to work with a person. Ie Vendor / Supplier.

What can you offer them? Its all about " Me me me " these days.

Evaluate yourself. What makes you different?There are 100's of university graduates. What makes you so special? What can u offer me, which no one else can offer? Are you lacking in some skills? If so, learn it through self study / books.

Remember, We all are entrepreneurs. you have to sell yourself. What is your sales pitch?
Does anyone know of reputable employment agencies in GTA or anywhere a new grad can turn to for support in this process?
Or if there is any valuable advice you may have to facilitate the process of getting that first job, I would appreciate your input.
Agencies got tons of resumes from experienced laid off Engineers. Why would they put you in front of client? unless Client specifically wants green hand who would be trained by them.

Agency is there to make money off you. If you are not marketable, they will not help you.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1170 posts
1016 upvotes
This makes me very concerned as to how bad the market is for new grads. Waterloo engineering is known to be the best in the country and provides a ton of work experience. Assuming that OP is actually trying hard, I wonder how engineering students from the other schools are doing after grad.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
352 upvotes
1theguy1 wrote: This makes me very concerned as to how bad the market is for new grads. Waterloo engineering is known to be the best in the country and provides a ton of work experience. Assuming that OP is actually trying hard, I wonder how engineering students from the other schools are doing after grad.
According to OSPE study only 30% of engineering graduates even work in engineering.

Source: Crisis in Ontario’s Engineering Labour Market: Underemployment Among Ontario’s Engineering-Degree Holders.

https://www.ospe.on.ca/public/documents ... market.pdf
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Well I'm not in engineering but ill share my experience. I did initially reach out to previous internship employers but honestly the job I'm starting next month I got while applying online randomly...COO was in town and asked to meet impromptu, then I had a Skype interview a few days later since some of their staff is in NY and an offer the next day. Was all very brisk truth be told.

Some of the internship employers did get back to me after that and I considered my options.

The key like some said is to find out what makes you stand out from the crowd of fellow graduates and use that during the application process. Either it's a specific hard skill or your process or something else.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1803 posts
851 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
1theguy1 wrote: This makes me very concerned as to how bad the market is for new grads. Waterloo engineering is known to be the best in the country and provides a ton of work experience. Assuming that OP is actually trying hard, I wonder how engineering students from the other schools are doing after grad.
I think he does not have coop experience, proper contacts or his resume is not up to snuff tbh.

My close friend group from University (graduated in April) is now all employed in our field (engineering)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
I work for a Tier 1 Military and Commercial contract manufacturer and can say engineering is as saturated as finance and accounting.
While we do offer both co-op placement and new graduate programs (a few positions, in which we receive hundreds of applicants) there's just as much seasoned P.Eng out there looking for jobs also.

I've seen emails from program coordinators from UBC (West Coast!) contacting us to participate in placement programs for Engineers.

Competition is alive and well and you just have to keep at it and with good timing and luck, you'll land into a successful career.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2321 posts
1106 upvotes
Alberta

I went to Waterloo as well for accounting. Doesn't the engineering program have 6 work terms? My coop employer hired me on full time.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2012
3086 posts
1101 upvotes
Toronto
ironbrah wrote: According to OSPE study only 30% of engineering graduates even work in engineering.

Source: Crisis in Ontario’s Engineering Labour Market: Underemployment Among Ontario’s Engineering-Degree Holders.

https://www.ospe.on.ca/public/documents ... market.pdf
Seems about right, I only know 2 out of maybe 15 people in my close circle who are working in engineering jobs now.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
6024 posts
1873 upvotes
From the RFD careers section.

True story.
Jul 15, 2012
313 posts
167 upvotes
Calgary
It helps to build a strong relationship with practicing engineers, whether it'd be on a personal or professional level. This could be getting to know a family friend who works as a P.Eng., or volunteering at a student club and reaching out to practicing engineers to host events, etc. They'll be more likely to remember you and recommend you for future openings than some kid who they've met briefly at an info session.

As a recent grad, I secured my job only because I had worked my butt off networking and volunteering during my final year. I didn't just meet people; I made sure to follow up and attend similar events in the hopes of bumping into them a second/third/fourth time. And sure enough, I was able to do just that by meeting the same few people every couple months. One of them is my current manager, who offered me a job not long after my graduation.
Apr 30, 2016
52 posts
8 upvotes
Constantly applied for jobs during undergrad, mostly second year, even for jobs I was not qualified for, this allowed me to be prepared when applying for jobs I was qualifies for.

Got my first gig in my field for a part time summer position going into third year, then the fall immediately after I got a part time job at another company that liked my references from the summer position. They ended up offering me full tine permanent employment after I graduated, been there since.
May 11, 2016
8 posts
I'm not a new grad exactly, but it's about persistence and hustle. Sometimes that means taking what you can get or volunteering to get your foot in the door. A lot of that depends on the industry, but if you keep building your skills out and looking for opportunities, you'll be in good shape.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)