Careers

New Graduate Employment Salary

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2015 1:56 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Starting salary immediately after graduation?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
Apr 28, 2010
138 posts
57 upvotes
What was your degree (Bachelors, Master, Doctorate)?

Bachelor in Commerce (I'm not done this yet, I still have a few courses, probably graduate this year or next)

Starting salary/Position title?

60k/Business Intelligence Analyst

How long did it take to find a job relevant to your field?

I was hired after my internship with the company when I was in 2nd year of university. I went into their graduate trainee program and eventually just ended up where I am through the projects I worked on.
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
DanTh3Man wrote: Oil and Gas in northeastern BC.

EDIT: First job was in a different field.

EDIT #2: Been with current company for two years
No wonder. I was like, how the heck. 80k + allowance etc..
No way anyone get this with a couple of years in Ontario. And yes, all the local engineers are right, too much foreign engineers with darker tones lowballing. But all the associations are not protecting their local membership. Soon we will have explosions killing thousands cause foreign engs cutting corners,
Mar 30, 2007
469 posts
29 upvotes
spike1128 wrote: No wonder. I was like, how the heck. 80k + allowance etc..
No way anyone get this with a couple of years in Ontario. And yes, all the local engineers are right, too much foreign engineers with darker tones lowballing. But all the associations are not protecting their local membership. Soon we will have explosions killing thousands cause foreign engs cutting corners,
Lol what? Do you know how many layers of review a design goes through?

You racist *****
Nov 24, 2011
278 posts
75 upvotes
Mississauga
BSc Math and Eco

70k first year, 77k second year. Analyst in Economics Consulting.

Did an internship after graduation. Got the job right after. The job's in US though so had to move for it. #worth
Dec 11, 2006
82 posts
3 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: he later said he was on the job for 6 years. So I don't think he started @ $80k/yr... Rather he progressed up from there.
The first year I made minimum wage working in policy development, then the next 2 years I worked in outskirts Ontario (Moosonee, Batchewana) for aboriginal child and youth work. That was a very tough job. With that experience I was able to come back to GTA and work in one of the children's aid societies.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
1506 posts
135 upvotes
I really hope that you meant killing thousands due to shoddy workmanship rather than them being brown and blowing them selves up.....If its the latter I have no words.
iConfusedChineseGuy wrote: What was your degree (Bachelors, Master, Doctorate)?

Bachelor in Commerce (I'm not done this yet, I still have a few courses, probably graduate this year or next)

Starting salary/Position title?

60k/Business Intelligence Analyst

How long did it take to find a job relevant to your field?

I was hired after my internship with the company when I was in 2nd year of university. I went into their graduate trainee program and eventually just ended up where I am through the projects I worked on.
Bell LDP?
Apr 13, 2010
346 posts
31 upvotes
Should have made the ranges smaller, since most new graduates or entry level roles will fall somewhere between 30 to 60k.
Jul 24, 2010
457 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
Degree: Mechanical Engineering (2010)
Title: Mechanical Engineer
Salary: 51k
Time to find: 3 months
Apr 13, 2010
346 posts
31 upvotes
kanfive wrote: The first year I made minimum wage working in policy development, then the next 2 years I worked in outskirts Ontario (Moosonee, Batchewana) for aboriginal child and youth work. That was a very tough job. With that experience I was able to come back to GTA and work in one of the children's aid societies.
If you chose your field because you have a passion for it then don't compare yourself to someone that has an engineering degree which are a dime a dozen anyways. There are tons of people with engineering degrees who choose to live in the big city and as a result make 30-40k doing work that a technician should be doing.
Apr 13, 2010
346 posts
31 upvotes
Wow I hope this was some type of sick joke, you could have made your point by saying desperate foreign engineers. This is coming from a white engineer btw.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1226 posts
230 upvotes
Mecca
BoogieWilliams wrote: If you chose your field because you have a passion for it then don't compare yourself to someone that has an engineering degree which are a dime a dozen anyways. There are tons of people with engineering degrees who choose to live in the big city and as a result make 30-40k doing work that a technician should be doing.
So are social work degrees, and nearly every other degree. There is definitely no shortage in any discipline. I'm expecting less than 10% of the graduating class (45 people) from my program (Mining Engineering) to land full-time jobs this upcoming year. Mining and oil/gas were once thought of being good routes to take in school, now they are just part of the dismal outlook of engineering graduates in this country. Sadly, it isn't just engineering.
Feb 14, 2011
71 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Degree: B.A.Sc + Electronics Engineering Technology 3-yr Diploma
Title: Engineering Technician
Salary: 40k
Time to find: 4 months
Oct 9, 2011
142 posts
48 upvotes
useless college diploma
ups driver
salary 75-80k
time to find 2 minutes
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
timach wrote: useless college diploma
ups driver
salary 75-80k
time to find 2 minutes
lol
Oct 9, 2011
142 posts
48 upvotes
carmaster wrote: Ya sure. Sure.

I'm not $30 an hour x 40 week + (minimum 4 hours OT at $45 an hour - 8 hours OT)

30x40 = $1200 + (45x7) = $1515 a week x52..
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
timach wrote: I'm not $30 an hour x 40 week + (minimum 4 hours OT at $45 an hour - 8 hours OT)

30x40 = $1200 + (45x7) = $1515 a week x52..
ok whatever. time to find 2 mins. ROFLOL.
Oct 9, 2011
142 posts
48 upvotes
carmaster wrote: ok whatever. time to find 2 mins. ROFLOL.
lol I was kidding about that part

I've always wanted to work there for some reason, so while I was in school I always checked online for openings.. took me 2 years to find the job posting but I got it... So if you'd like me to change that it'd be 2 years
May 18, 2015
34 posts
12 upvotes
Degree: Social Service Worker Diploma
Salary: 42K
Position: Employment Counsellor
Time: 0 months
Did my placement, got the summer contract, then turned into Full Time Employment.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)