• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2009 12:52 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 31, 2006
76 posts
7 upvotes

New grass seed and Frost

I put down some new grass seed about 3 weeks ago, and it is just germinating now. We are expecting frost in the next few days, so I was wondering if I should be concerned.
5 replies
Nov 7, 2006
131 posts
2 upvotes
I did the same :( but apparently the frost should not harm the seedlings. it won't germinate if it's too cold though. ;)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5720 posts
508 upvotes
REP wrote:
Oct 9th, 2009 6:01 pm
We are expecting frost in the next few days, so I was wondering if I should be concerned.
Absolutely not since there's absolutely nothing that you can do about it. Don't waste worry on things you have no control over.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2002
2990 posts
402 upvotes
Vancouver
its fine; it will just stay dormant till spring. I just overseeded,fertilized and top dressed my lawn today
[OP]
Dec 31, 2006
76 posts
7 upvotes
woof wrote:
Oct 10th, 2009 3:00 pm
Don't waste worry on things you have no control over.
Woof, you're right. I can't control whether we get frost or not, but I do reserve the right to do what I can to make sure my seeding efforts have the best outcome.

I was asking since I could cover the area overnight to prevent the seeds or newly germinated grass from freezing. I'm just not familiar if the frost would kill the new grass or not, so I came here to find out.

Thanks Neoborn and Hesp. I think you've answered my question.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5720 posts
508 upvotes
Sorry REP, I assumed that this was a large area you were talking about where covering it would not be feasible.

Although I can't answer your question I will say that I never seed in the fall out of concern for this. Also I worry that when I power rake in the spring any new seedlings may not be well rooted and might get damaged in the process. So, I fertilize in the fall, power rake in the spring and then re-seed if necessary immediately after that.
× < >