Real Estate

New high-tech waterfront community Toronto - 2:30pm presentation - Sidewalk Labs

• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2020 11:59 am
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2007
5018 posts
2175 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Just because they're paid $100K US doesn't mean they'll be paid that in Toronto.

Amazon already has offices in Toronto. They don't pay $100K US ($125K CAD) for them.
They are quoting 50K jobs and "average wage of 100K" in the news but I agree- if Toronto does get rewarded Amazon, we'll see. It does seem rather high.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2016
2028 posts
1013 upvotes
Houston, TX
Jungle wrote: The project will aim to create new models of affordable housing
Wait a minute. I recall I already heard about "affordability measures" who will bring "lower housing costs" blah-blah...What it was? Ah

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/n ... cle3465175
APRIL 10, 2017
A package of housing affordability measures that could have a swift impact on the hot Toronto-area housing market will be introduced "very soon," Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne said Monday.
Well, so far it did not bring any palpable "affordability" to Toronto market, eh? But we all believe in unicorns, so lets wait one more time...
Make the face great again
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2007
5018 posts
2175 upvotes
asa1973 wrote: Wait a minute. I recall I already heard about "affordability measures" who will bring "lower housing costs" blah-blah...What it was? Ah

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/n ... cle3465175

Well, so far it did not bring any palpable "affordability" to Toronto market, eh? But we all believe in unicorns, so lets wait one more time...
Those are two different projects. Your comparing a google plan neighbourhood investment to Ontario's 16 point plan on housing market.

Ontario 16 point plan did effect-some negative and positive. -just depends what segment and location. Rental market negative. Resale market (I recall) all detach averages (including condos) have not surpassed April peek. (when plan was announced) So they've become more affordable.
Penalty Box
Aug 11, 2005
4175 posts
1432 upvotes
LOL@ all those thinking that amazon will build their headquaters in toronto. The cost of living is way too high, which means they'll just experience brain drain as employees move away to areas with lower costs of living. This is why Silicon Valley is losing tons of talent to Texas and colorado each year.
Political avatars and signature are not permitted.
Jun 15, 2017
298 posts
129 upvotes
Luckyinfil wrote: LOL@ all those thinking that amazon will build their headquaters in toronto. The cost of living is way too high, which means they'll just experience brain drain as employees move away to areas with lower costs of living. This is why Silicon Valley is losing tons of talent to Texas and colorado each year.
A condo townhome in santaclara costs 1 Million
A one BR condo rents for $3500 per month in SFO
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2010
1459 posts
1176 upvotes
Ontario
rjg4235 wrote: Lol Google believes what? Have you looked at housing prices by their US HQ it is absolutely mind blowing. But for Canada they will believe it? You can't keep buying into this PR BS, they don't care about poor people, they care about long term economic benefit and return on investment.
LOL, Google is coming here to test all their new solutions and inventions, they don't care about $$$ at this stage. They care more about people testing those solutions so they can develop a robust product to sell in the near future.

P.S. By affordable units, i would see a low price due to lower sqm for unit, but the price/sqm will still be high...
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
4527 posts
4056 upvotes
152 square feet.

If they are building such small units they expect prices will continue to rise. This project will take Toronto real estate prices into stratosphere. To the moon? Nope, to UrAnus. Buy now or be literally priced forever as big cities are becoming places for only elite to live in. Kinda like Pyongyang.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
Isostar wrote: LOL, Google is coming here to test all their new solutions and inventions, they don't care about $$$ at this stage. They care more about people testing those solutions so they can develop a robust product to sell in the near future.

P.S. By affordable units, i would see a low price due to lower sqm for unit, but the price/sqm will still be high...
So they are stupid to give away real estate so they can test a few products? Give me break .,, may as well be a landlord then and rent the units out.
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2007
5018 posts
2175 upvotes
Sanyo wrote: So they are stupid to give away real estate so they can test a few products? Give me break .,, may as well be a landlord then and rent the units out.
They didn't become a 700 billion dollar company selling real estate..
Jun 15, 2017
298 posts
129 upvotes
162 sft unit looks really funny, can anyone sleep there? Or just office desk?
Got rid of dishwasher and two plate stove...just what a single person needs
Can 2 persons sit there?
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2010
1459 posts
1176 upvotes
Ontario
Sanyo wrote: So they are stupid to give away real estate so they can test a few products? Give me break .,, may as well be a landlord then and rent the units out.
Right, make some million from RE in Toronto or make some billions from new products tested for almost free.... Definitely a big question mark from Alphabet....
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
Isostar wrote: Right, make some million from RE in Toronto or make some billions from new products tested for almost free.... Definitely a big question mark from Alphabet....
It's a mixed income community anyways, most of them probably will end up being rentals anyways
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1741 posts
1040 upvotes
Interesting idea... But tech isn't that mature yet and you can't live in a bubble... I'm going to guess that this fails from a re perspective. Mostly because developers will probably want something ridiculous like $1500++/sqft.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
4527 posts
4056 upvotes
Chickennbeans wrote: Interesting idea... But tech isn't that mature yet and you can't live in a bubble... I'm going to guess that this fails from a re perspective. Mostly because developers will probably want something ridiculous like $1500++/sqft.
Ridiculous? That's nothing. Dirty, slave labor made condos go for that in a third world country.

If it's indeed that cheap expect a bunch of foreigners to line up and buy everything.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2010
2646 posts
2437 upvotes
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... aterfront/

I'm almost certain that the City of Toronto is going to squander this once in a lifetime opportunity to do something with their waterfront. They've never really showed vision or political courage, and it will probably continue to be that way as long as downtowners continue to elect people like Kristyn Wong-Tam, Joe Cressy and Paula Fletcher. It seems like they argue against any proposals for development on sites like Ontario Place, the Portlands, or even high rises on top of new subway stations (because Toronto owns the "air rights" that they don't use, seriously??), but they never seem to have any constructive alternatives. And you wonder why those above mentioned parcels of land continue to be a wasteland.
Concerns about the proposal have centred on the consequences of letting a giant U.S. company -- rather than governments -- plan a community and collect data on Canadians from which it could generate profitable innovations. Others have centred on the project’s growing scope and unclear goals.
Newsflash, that's already happening, and will continue to happen moreso in the future. Also I'm not sure if we should rely on "government" for innovation to push society forward.
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1191 upvotes
Another waterfront development story . We get these every few years for the last 30 years . Then more ugly condos pop up . People are snowed year after year .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)