Computers & Electronics

New home theatre setup(s) integrated with home automation...

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 2:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4919 posts
2435 upvotes
Edmonton

New home theatre setup(s) integrated with home automation...

Ok, this will be a long process, I'm pretty sure. But you gotta start somewhere, right? :)

We've got a 1.5 story (with basement house). There's actually decent access to the main floor ceiling because of the crawl space on either side of the second story living areas, plus the basement is finished with panel ceilings. Currently, we're set up on Shaw with the Gateway system.

What I'd like to accomplish:
Master bedroom (all of second story) - often watch movies up here, need to have sleep timer on system to turn off tv/audio after 60/90 minutes
50"+ TV mounted on wall
BluRay player (already own)
Chromecast for Netflix, etc.
Shaw Gateway portal
Hidden/subtle speakers (in wall, in ceiling, etc)

Den (main floor)
Smaller tv (<40")
Chromecast player
Shaw Gateway portal
Speaker placement not as critical, as it won't be a big TV watching area. Sound bar would be fine.

Family Room (basement)
65"+ TV
Chromecast
Shaw Gateway portal
BluRay player (4k?)
Movie/group tv watching environment

In an ideal world, I'd also be able to play music throughout the main floor (kitchen, living room, dining room) and outside. I'd also like to get this all hooked up/controlled by a home automation system (currently using a Wink Hub, with Google Home/Home Mini's).

So here I am... I'm thinking of Logitech Harmony Hubs for each tv area to handle the "Hey Google, turn on Netflix in the den". I can run the speakers and wires no problem (although a suggestion for decent but not ridiculously expensive "hidden" speakers would be appreciated). But what to use to drive all this? I'll need a receiver in every area, with possibly one more fully featured one to drive the main floor/outside music? Any suggestions for those, say < $500?

I currently have the two smaller TV's, an Onkyo TX-SR308 receiver with a 5.1 speaker system, the Gateway box and portals, a BluRay player, an Apple TV box (second gen), and a Google Chromecast. I'll be doing the work myself, and probably over a period of time. My first priority that I'd like to get done over Christmas is the master bedroom area.

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. I'll also head over to the AVSForum group, and see what they have to say...

C
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7898 posts
1955 upvotes
Brampton
From the sounds of it The key pieces will be

-Google Home
-Harmony Hub
Wink won't add much unless you have light control added. For when you say "Ok Google play movie.. etc" and it dims lights as a scene. Side note: The logic here is Wink hub itself is a platform. Google will work with it but they want their hub to be in the cloud so it's not as tightly integrated as one would like.

Your ATV will integrate with nothing that you have right now. That's only going to be helpful if you want to jump to the world of homekit.

If your TV supports HDMI CEC you won't need a Harmony hub to power it on and off as the Chromecast can do it, (well it can but it has been flakey in the past)

Your receivers are not web enabled at all so it'll be a PITA to get seamlessly integrated. You're going to be limited to what the Hub + Home integration can do. Eg power it on and if you want music you'll need to tell Google Home to play to a Chromecast /CC Audio.

The slickest most seamless setup if you're to Google services and Home will be to make sure your AV products are CC Certifed/ Supported, your smart TV has Android TV or your dumb TV support HDMI CEC and you have a bunch of Chromecasts and Chromecast Audio.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4919 posts
2435 upvotes
Edmonton
tebore wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:15 pm
From the sounds of it The key pieces will be

-Google Home
-Harmony Hub
Wink won't add much unless you have light control added. For when you say "Ok Google play movie.. etc" and it dims lights as a scene. Side note: The logic here is Wink hub itself is a platform. Google will work with it but they want their hub to be in the cloud so it's not as tightly integrated as one would like.

Your ATV will integrate with nothing that you have right now. That's only going to be helpful if you want to jump to the world of homekit.

If your TV supports HDMI CEC you won't need a Harmony hub to power it on and off as the Chromecast can do it, (well it can but it has been flakey in the past)

Your receivers are not web enabled at all so it'll be a PITA to get seamlessly integrated. You're going to be limited to what the Hub + Home integration can do. Eg power it on and if you want music you'll need to tell Google Home to play to a Chromecast /CC Audio.
Thanks for the input... The Wink system is more for automating the rest of the house (lights for now).

My Apple TV is a legacy item, so I'm not worried about it going away. The Chromecast units can replace it at a much lower cost per device, with similar functionality (as far as I can tell so far). We've used the ATV mainly for Netflix on a dumb TV and renting movies occasionally.

I figure I need the Harmony Hub to handle switching between devices. Like, switching between the Shaw box for watching TV, to the ChromeCast for watching something on it.

As far as the receivers go, I've only got one, and it's old with limited inputs. If it works in one location, great. If not, it goes on Kijiji and it gets replaced.

C