• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2018 11:54 am
[OP]
Aug 22, 2011
9 posts
2 upvotes

New house build - footing / support beams question

Hi,

Quick question to anyone who knows anything about footings / support beams; New build, construction company emailed saying the house was ready for the first inspection by the bank so i took a visit - everything seemed okish (apart from a real lack of lats everywhere in the corners but that's another matter) but when i went down into the basement i noticed that the 2 (out of 3) support beams were on the gravel and not on any footing (the support beams were also just normal 2x6 from the looks of it). The footings were poured for the support beams (well i thought thats what they were for) but they were at least a foot off. I want to speak to the builder ASAP but wanted to make sure that i am not jumping to conclusions. Please see photo attached.
Thanks,
Images
  • footings.jpg
Last edited by whittakeradam on Sep 15th, 2018 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2255 posts
277 upvotes
Ancaster
From your picture it looks like the footings were poured in the wrong spots and the 2x6's are in place temporarily until the builder repours the footings just in front of where the temp 2x6's are located.

It wouldn't hurt to confirm that with the builder though.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9736 posts
4044 upvotes
Ottawa
nielboy wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 1:38 am
From your picture it looks like the footings were poured in the wrong spots and the 2x6's are in place temporarily until the builder repours the footings just in front of where the temp 2x6's are located.

It wouldn't hurt to confirm that with the builder though.
This.

Ask to see the houseplan and bring a tape measure. Could be a framing mistake too (joists reversed).
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1286 posts
295 upvotes
Toronto
Cas77 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 7:49 am
This.

Ask to see the houseplan and bring a tape measure. Could be a framing mistake too (joists reversed).
Come on Cas77, it couldn't possibly be the framers. They NEVER make mistakes. Face With Tears Of Joy
[OP]
Aug 22, 2011
9 posts
2 upvotes
OK thanks, I will speak to the builder about it then just to be certain he is aware.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3254 posts
661 upvotes
When I looked at the picture I thought this was a detached garage
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9736 posts
4044 upvotes
Ottawa
James_TheVirus wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 8:16 am
Come on Cas77, it couldn't possibly be the framers. They NEVER make mistakes. Face With Tears Of Joy
If i were a betting man i would put my money on the foundation guys screwing up but either is a possibility.

Actually come to think of it the surveyor would have pinned the footings wrong and they rarely make mistakes. Let us know who **** up OP.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
[OP]
Aug 22, 2011
9 posts
2 upvotes
@Cas77 The builder was aware of the issue and they have supposedly corrected it this morning. Apparently the builder accidentally gave an old plan to the person who marked them out.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)