• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2019 10:13 pm
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5861 posts
2218 upvotes
Alberta
good to know but... as long as it’s in unused and in re-saleable condition. Who's going to buy it and not use it within 365 days.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2195 posts
915 upvotes
B.C.
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2018 4:08 pm
good to know but... as long as it’s in unused and in re-saleable condition. Who's going to buy it and not use it within 365 days.
They had that wording in their old policy but never had an issue taking back anything as far as I was aware.

If you're returning a couch because the arm fell off during normal use or it's uncomfortable they'll allow it but if you're retuning it because you spilled something on it or your dog chewed on it they'll deny the return.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2195 posts
915 upvotes
B.C.
oh and I'd totally return an unopened item a year later since I live on Vancouver Island and don't return to the mainland with a car very often!
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3038 posts
1781 upvotes
Vancouver
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Its actually kinda confusing because right after that, the policy states...
You can return any product, even if you assembled it, as long as it's in re-saleable condition.
I guess its one of those policy where if you change your mind and its within a year, i suppose you could try a return but don't count on it being a full year unless its unopened. Maybe its lawyer talk to just cover themselves from policy abuse?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4566 posts
1373 upvotes
Toronto
Paigne wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2018 4:16 pm
Its actually kinda confusing because right after that, the policy states...

I guess its one of those policy where if you change your mind and its within a year, i suppose you could try a return but don't count on it being a full year unless its unopened. Maybe its lawyer talk to just cover themselves from policy abuse?
I guess it partly depends on what "re-saleable" means. Many of the items in the "as-is" section are pretty beat up, and Ikea seems to be selling them alright.

That said it's possible for something to be bought and unused or unopened for months e.g. bought things on sale because you were going to do a reno, spent a few months doing the reno, then realized what you bought doesn't fit the way you thought, or you changed your design while doing it, or you just bought extra just in case.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30467 posts
5020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
jackrabbit000 wrote:
I’ve done that. I purchased a desk and didn’t use it for 8 years. Kept it in the original box unassembled in the basement.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
1287 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
Question... guys..

This policy is new, which they announced recently , my question is if I purchased sth like 4 months ago, can I still return it? Cause my purchase happened before they announce the new return policy?

What do you guys think?

I checked their new policy, it doesn't mention anything about it as well.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3887 posts
1401 upvotes
AB
spy cl wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2018 10:50 pm
Question... guys..
This policy is new, which they announced recently , my question is if I purchased sth like 4 months ago, can I still return it? Cause my purchase happened before they announce the new return policy?
What do you guys think?
I checked their new policy, it doesn't mention anything about it as well.
Returned something unopened last week that was purchased almost a year ago. No issues for the return, got store credit on a card.
1500 free Supercharger kms on a new Tesla!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9359 posts
6667 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Saw the 365 signage when I was in an Ikea 2 week’s ago.

Understand that the 365 Policy is something new here in Canada... but more in line with what IKEA has been offering in other countries due to more stringent local Consumer Protection Laws (ie Europe)

It’s welcome IMO

Mind you most Ikea stuff is pretty well built lasting years if not decades in our experience
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
1287 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
ciuvak wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 1:20 am
Returned something unopened last week that was purchased almost a year ago. No issues for the return, got store credit on a card.
Is there any reason they didn't provide cash or credit card refund on your return item ?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5861 posts
2218 upvotes
Alberta
This is because either way they will get the money you originally spent.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4331 posts
1615 upvotes
spy cl wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 8:31 am
Is there any reason they didn't provide cash or credit card refund on your return item ?
Probably no receipt
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Sep 28, 2017
508 posts
317 upvotes
if you don't provide a receipt then they have no way of knowing how the payment was made so they issue a store credit. also, with SOME discontinued items they are only obligated to offer a store credit. it's in the small print since they can't put it back in circulation or the as-is section.
no matter where you go, there you are.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3887 posts
1401 upvotes
AB
spy cl wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 8:31 am
Not sure, maybe the item is discontinued now. I did have the original receipt and credit card but they said that I can only get store credit. I didn't think to ask the reason as it didn't matter to me anyway as I shop there a lot.
1500 free Supercharger kms on a new Tesla!