• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2012 2:07 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 15, 2011
213 posts
45 upvotes

New IPad Is Awesome

Just got the new IPad and it's awesome. Night and day between this and the Playbook which I basically had to give away for someone to take it. Everytime I would have multiple windows open it would crash on me and close down everything I had open. This IPad though the screen blows me away, so crisp, browsing is amazing, I'm typing this thread using the IPad and it's fast. Though it is true about the heat, it does get pretty warm and im not even watching movies or anything, hopefully that gets corrected in the next update. Anyone know the explanation? As for the Playbook, fire those developers and bring in some talent who can design you a stable os.
61 replies
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
JustAPilot wrote: Just got the new IPad and it's awesome. Night and day between this and the Playbook which I basically had to give away for someone to take it. Everytime I would have multiple windows open it would crash on me and close down everything I had open. This IPad though the screen blows me away, so crisp, browsing is amazing, I'm typing this thread using the IPad and it's fast. Though it is true about the heat, it does get pretty warm and im not even watching movies or anything, hopefully that gets corrected in the next update. Anyone know the explanation? As for the Playbook, fire those developers and bring in some talent who can design you a stable os.

Bu next update, I assume you're talking about an hardware revision. I don't think a software update will correct the heat issue on the new ipads. Consumer Reports apparently do not think the heat issue is a cause for concern, however.

http://technorati.com/technology/gadget ... t-reviews/
"I don't think conflict is a bad thing ... As long as you handle it as men." - John Tortorella

2013 RFD NHL Playoffs Pool CHAMPION #CONFIRMED
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
Lol. Browser is good in ipad because it doesnt display half the web lol
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
3209 posts
1742 upvotes
Markham
There is no heat issue, its almost physically impossible for that new ipad to not run so hot. Also, for $320-370 more than the playbook, it better be a hell of a lot better.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2011
1127 posts
53 upvotes
gilboman wrote: Lol. Browser is good in ipad because it doesnt display half the web lol

If you're referring to how it does not support Flash, do you have any statistics or proof that half the web is coded in Flash? Are you aware that even Adobe has stopped developing the Flash mobile platform and have conceded to HTML-5?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5820 posts
3846 upvotes
West Vancouver
Sure its awesome. Maybe for 300$ - 500$.

But not for 600$ ++
Sep 15, 2011
213 posts
45 upvotes
The price is definitely up there but you are paying for a quality product with many apps and a great os. When it comes to selling it I will lose what $100?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
8455 posts
2000 upvotes
JustAPilot wrote: The price is definitely up there but you are paying for a quality product with many apps and a great os. When it comes to selling it I will lose what $100?

so you're telling me for my 960 dollar, tax included, 64 gb ipad 2, i can sell it for $860 now? u find a buyer at that price, send him my way. :D
Sep 15, 2011
213 posts
45 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote: so you're telling me for my 960 dollar, tax included, 64 gb ipad 2, i can sell it for $860 now? u find a buyer at that price, send him my way. :D
Heh ok not $100 exactly but the 16 gig ipad 2 is selling like hot cakes for $400, For $350 you can stage a fight to the death for it. That's not a bad loss in my opinion in regards to other products that pretty much lose all value.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1191 posts
112 upvotes
Stoney Creek
JustAPilot wrote: Heh ok not $100 exactly but the 16 gig ipad 2 is selling like hot cakes for $400, For $350 you can stage a fight to the death for it. That's not a bad loss in my opinion in regards to other products that pretty much lose all value.

Getty ready to be bashed by the apple haters...they will not let this thread go...although you are correct.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1954 upvotes
Elmira
Lol at raged losers like the guy above claiming it won't display half the web. Idiot is probably surfing on a Touchpad

I love my iPad 3
Sep 15, 2011
213 posts
45 upvotes
I haven't really noticed myself being limited with my content because of flash and as a member pointed out earlier flash is slowly but surely dying and being replaced with a newer source. The price is not something that is really to out there considering it costs something like $300 to produce the device. Most of the other manufactures lost or are losing revenue on every device they build. So in order for them to make some money they need to cut costs by either using cheaper materials or cutting costs in the workforce who designs and builds the device. Thus you get a product like the Playbook or Touchpad.

Apple is making profit because they don't cheap out on the design and build process. How much do you think Apple engineers and designers get paid compared to say HP or RIM who both lost big on their tablets?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2005
3531 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
This is how i feel the apple engineers get paid compared the other companies :lol:

Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6433 posts
1239 upvotes
Canada
I'm also enjoying the new ipad.
I find reading ebooks enjoyable and I haven't experienced any heat or wifi issues.

However, I find the speed is not up to par.

I know a lot of apple fanboys will deny this but the performance is not better than the ipad2. In some cases, it's worse.
Why?
The retina display.

I have this painting program (doodle buddy) and it's noticeably laggy when I start to paint.
It's like 2-3 seconds of nothing then it registers my input.
It never did that with the ipad 1 or 2.

Even the new Paper app does the same thing. It takes 1-2 seconds to really register the input.
So if I make a circle quickly.. it lags.

Engadget Distro lags from turning pages.

Hopefully most of this is just software related and can be optimized.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
duckdown wrote: Lol at raged losers like the guy above claiming it won't display half the web. Idiot is probably surfing on a Touchpad

I love my iPad 3

Yes, half the web won't run on it. But how can you tell when you only see half the web? how do you know what you're missing? Like a frog at bottom of a well looking up, thinks he sees the entire world lol

Goto espn, or cbc.ca. you either get the crippled tablet version or streaming videos from various sites won't work.

You love half the web..great. Just like some people have only eaten KD and spam and love it. Enjoy your KD and Spam
Dec 4, 2005
935 posts
118 upvotes
Is your assertion that there is no way to watch CBC videos on an iPad? That's patently wrong, and a sign that you may need to go collect more information before you are adequately informed to participate in a discussion.

Is your assertion that it's unequivocally better to watch it through the "full web" user interface than through a site or native app designed for a particular form factor? That's a matter of taste, but from a design perspective, clearly a minority view - a user experience should be tailored to the device serving that experience. Maybe you should say "that's not the way I like it", but not lower the standard of debate by disingenuously pretending that it is "KD and spam". Tablet versions of sites aren't uniformly crippled - unless spending 5 seconds on each page load pinch-zooming so you can click a tiny link from the full web view is your idea of time well spent.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2009
1469 posts
255 upvotes
JustAPilot wrote: Apple is making profit because they don't cheap out on the design and build process. How much do you think Apple engineers and designers get payed compared to say HP or RIM who both lost big on their tablets?

They aren't getting as much as the markup would suggest. You are all paying a premium for old technology and the "status" of a symbol on the back. The only way to justify the cost is if you jailbreak. Otherwise its just a foolish money dump. You could by a pretty nice desktop for that cash, and it would be a lot more functional.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)