Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2001
3408 posts
72 upvotes

New Iphone 5 crappy speeds on my wifi?

Can anyone with an Iphone 5 let me know if they are also having prolems with network speed on wifi? I just dropped a grand on a new Iphone and on wifi its slower than my iphone 4 and even my iphone 3GS. This is ridiculous. I am getting faster speeds with good old 3G on the iphone 5. Is this a known problem and is it hardware or software related. If its hardware this is going back. Whats the return policy for Iphones bought online? Can I return it to an apple store for a refund?
Heat 51-0-0

External links in signatures are not allowed except for Heatware and Ebay ratings.
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9371 posts
1937 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
I haven't noticed a problem, but then again with LTE, I find I am not using wifi as much. At home it seems about the same. I only have a 10Mbps connection from Rogers, so it's maxed out with both my old iP4 and new iP5.

The Apple store will exchange it for you.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2008
2110 posts
635 upvotes
Victoria
There was a software update a few days ago that addressed wi-fi connectivity. Make sure you have the latest software installed.
I've noticed slow wi-fi speeds on my gf's 5 compared to my 4S.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15925 posts
355 upvotes
I returned mine several days ago. The iOS 6.02 update didn't help. My iPhone 4's WiFi signal was excellent while the iphone5 WiFi signal was poor and disconnects every 10mins. Some say it's a hardware defect and to exchange with the Apple store, however, trying to exchange it every time you have a problem is a hassle. For $800+, the quality shouldn't be like this.

Best case scenario is to head on over to Apple store to diagnose it or return it.

I believe its 14days return. Its on their site.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2001
3408 posts
72 upvotes
dragon_drift wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 5:57 pm
I returned mine several days ago. The iOS 6.02 update didn't help. My iPhone 4's WiFi signal was excellent while the iphone5 WiFi signal was poor and disconnects every 10mins. Some say it's a hardware defect and to exchange with the Apple store, however, trying to exchange it every time you have a problem is a hassle. For $800+, the quality shouldn't be like this.

Best case scenario is to head on over to Apple store to diagnose it or return it.

I believe its 14days return. Its on their site.
Yup, this is definately going back. 899+tax for a phone that doesn't work as good as one from 3 generations ago as far as wifi is concerned. Pretty sure its a hardware issue or they would have fixed it by now and updating to 6.02 didn't help. Thanks for your reply.
Heat 51-0-0

External links in signatures are not allowed except for Heatware and Ebay ratings.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2001
3408 posts
72 upvotes
Is no-one else having this issue? I have searched the interwebs and I can't find a definitive answer of whether this is a hardware issue or something that can be corrected with software updates. Apple appears to be pretty mum on the subject lest they have the next "antennaegate" on their hands. If its software I'll keep it and wait till a fix comes because I really like the phone but if its hardware I will return it while I still can and wait till the 5s or something. What do you guys think?
Heat 51-0-0

Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15925 posts
355 upvotes
Mike71 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 12:41 am
Is no-one else having this issue? I have searched the interwebs and I can't find a definitive answer of whether this is a hardware issue or something that can be corrected with software updates. Apple appears to be pretty mum on the subject lest they have the next "antennaegate" on their hands. If its software I'll keep it and wait till a fix comes because I really like the phone but if its hardware I will return it while I still can and wait till the 5s or something. What do you guys think?
There's a link that I found, but don't have on my phone. Will post when I find it. I assume most people are on data rather than WiFi most of the times so they don't notice the weak WiFi signal.
Jul 25, 2005
931 posts
46 upvotes
Never had a problem with my iPhone 5 at home. I did notice it while on vacation in the Caribbean. Had my daughters iPad mini beside me and it worked great connected to the same router and my phone wouldn't work. I took the case off of it since there was no case on the mini. Bingo. Worked like a charm and has since down here. I always had the case on at home. Try it, might work.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
554 upvotes
it's a well documented issue with wifi. a fix was created but applying it drains your battery even faster than ever before.

but it's kinda funny why if you care about wifi, network connection, or just plain connectivity that you'll get an iphone. Iphone have always been horrible in design for these things and not meant to be used to connect.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1556 posts
169 upvotes
How are you testing this? Is it just your subjective opinion? or are you running a speedtest on each one?

Coming from a 4 aswell, the 5 blows it away in terms of speed, everything is alot 'snappier'.
× < >