Cell Phones

New job includes a cell phone - options for not losing my old number?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2018 5:47 pm
[OP]
Dec 6, 2017
7 posts
1 upvote

New job includes a cell phone - options for not losing my old number?

I am starting a new job, and it includes a new cell phone. I don't want to have 2 cell phones, so I am going to close my existing one down. I have however become nonsensically attached to my phone number.

I asked the company about keeping my number, but their stance is that they insist I use the company phone and number, so that if I leave, any calls "to the company" would still find their way to the company, and not to myself or some random person. Obviously that makes sense.

My questions is - what are my options for keeping my number?

The two I've come up with so far:

a) Asking the company if I could "donate my number to them", so I would use my phone number, and in the event that I leave the company, then at that point my number would become theirs, and I would have to get a new number.

b) I am currently with Koodo, and they have this $5/month "wireless home phone" deal (plus $55 hub purchase). I'll ask Koodo, but it could conceivably be possible for me to switch my phone number over to that home phone plan, or downgrade my phone to some minimum plan for a months, so that I don't miss any calls or texts as I transition to the new phone.

Any other ideas?
12 replies
May 8, 2009
5993 posts
2313 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
yesstyle wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 7:41 pm
port to Fongo for $25
+1

Keep your number for life, call forward or use in app, free for life after the $25 porting fee. A couple bucks per month for texting with your number in the app.

Else go dual sim, but my guess is that's not something you would need (no device balance with Koodo, you don't use your Koodo # for business, no overseas calling or massive data allowance perks or even for frequent roaming).
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Nov 29, 2017
904 posts
664 upvotes
Are you ok with your company having access to all your personal information on the company cell phone? 2 cell phones helps separate work and personal life, something to think about before consolidating everything into your company owned work phone.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1719 posts
442 upvotes
Woodbridge
Omakase wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 8:40 pm
Are you ok with your company having access to all your personal information on the company cell phone? 2 cell phones helps separate work and personal life, something to think about before consolidating everything into your company owned work phone.
I agree with this. What software do they have on the phone? Are there any limitations on apps or services that you could access using this phone? Would they have access to your personal data? If you send a text to someone about your boss' crappy attitude some morning, will your boss find out? Could they remotely wipe your data? In the event that something goes upside down at work down the line and your employment terminates, will you have enough time to backup or gather your data from the phone before they take it, wipe it, or lock it? Personally, I'd keep my existing phone and plan and just use my work phone for work. It's not costing you more than it did before you got this job.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2017
7 posts
1 upvote
yesstyle wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 7:41 pm
port to Fongo for $25
titaniumtux wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 8:15 pm
+1

Keep your number for life, call forward or use in app, free for life after the $25 porting fee. A couple bucks per month for texting with your number in the app.

Else go dual sim, but my guess is that's not something you would need (no device balance with Koodo, you don't use your Koodo # for business, no overseas calling or massive data allowance perks or even for frequent roaming).
Makes sense. I hadn't looked into this company before but yeah, seems like this would be a good fit.
Omakase wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 8:40 pm
jvnanu wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 9:13 pm
I agree with this. What software do they have on the phone? Are there any limitations on apps or services that you could access using this phone? Would they have access to your personal data? If you send a text to someone about your boss' crappy attitude some morning, will your boss find out? Could they remotely wipe your data? In the event that something goes upside down at work down the line and your employment terminates, will you have enough time to backup or gather your data from the phone before they take it, wipe it, or lock it? Personally, I'd keep my existing phone and plan and just use my work phone for work. It's not costing you more than it did before you got this job.
This is a really good point. I guess I'll have to wait and see once I start. It's a small company (less than 20 employees, and only a handful with phones), so I doubt that they are set up to be extra restrictive on the phones in terms of software and monitoring, but I'll have to find out.

I do like the idea of separating a work and home phone so I can be "off the clock", but I really don't want to carry around a second phone, and pay the full fee for a koodo phone while getting a free phone from work.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3755 posts
677 upvotes
Toronto
jvnanu wrote:
Agreed. I've been in this same situation - was given an iPhone 6 for work, and for two years I used it for nothing other than work. I still don't know how to use an iPhone properly because all I ever used was iMessage and emails. Whether or not they actively monitor, they can - or at least can demand to go through "your" phone if they claim to want to investigate something etc. I'm not interested in letting work stuff touch personal stuff at all, even if it's by the slip of a finger, and I've never regretted carrying two phones despite the bulk.
Nov 9, 2014
543 posts
247 upvotes
Maple Ridge, BC
Use one phone for personal, one for business. Claim the business phone on your taxes.
Virgin Mobile $60 | 10GB | Unl. Canada Wide | Unlimited Text/Pic Msg | $10 Loy Bill credit | 10% off | $45.80

Don't forget to hit the THANKS button if I've helped. Have a Great Day!
Jun 21, 2008
280 posts
53 upvotes
mississauga
If you are serius about keeping the #, you can port to voip.ms ($25 us to open account less $8.50 US to port # over and roughly $1 CAN to keep active and send/receive texts, no MMS
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3110 posts
279 upvotes
Mississauga
i'll tell you what i did:

i wanted to keep personal / business lines separate. not so much cuz of privacy, rather in case i leave the company / switch later, etc. and i have a kick-ass plan on my personal line that i don't want to lose ($60 for 6GB earlier, now i got the 10GB plan).

i got a dual SIM phone. ZTE Axon 7.

considering getting the samsung galaxy note 8 (dual sim variant).

dual sim is also good for when you are traveling to the USA or abroad.

you still might have to implement your corporate security policies on your phone (pin lock / encryption / etc)...
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1357 posts
183 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I had a personal phone and business phone at one time, I downgraded the personal cellphone to the cheapest plan which was $20 bucks a month for 200 minutes plus free evenings and weekends, no data. My work gave me an unlimited calling on my business cell phone line and allowed me to make some personal calls on it if needed as long as I did not have any ld or data overages. I forwarded my personal cell to my business line, and used it for work and pleasure provided i did not go over any usages, and on the weekends i would use my personal phone when i go shopping or to get gas etc, not hard and i was saving money by lowering my plan
Hi
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9594 posts
1050 upvotes
jvnanu wrote:
This is why I have 2 phones. My current work setup has the ability to remote wipe and track the phone anywhere. The work apps we use basically has permissions to everything on the phone.
Feb 22, 2013
214 posts
21 upvotes
dktortor wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 6:58 pm
I am starting a new job, and it includes a new cell phone. I don't want to have 2 cell phones, so I am going to close my existing one down. I have however become nonsensically attached to my phone number.

I asked the company about keeping my number, but their stance is that they insist I use the company phone and number, so that if I leave, any calls "to the company" would still find their way to the company, and not to myself or some random person. Obviously that makes sense.

My questions is - what are my options for keeping my number?

The two I've come up with so far:

a) Asking the company if I could "donate my number to them", so I would use my phone number, and in the event that I leave the company, then at that point my number would become theirs, and I would have to get a new number.

b) I am currently with Koodo, and they have this $5/month "wireless home phone" deal (plus $55 hub purchase). I'll ask Koodo, but it could conceivably be possible for me to switch my phone number over to that home phone plan, or downgrade my phone to some minimum plan for a months, so that I don't miss any calls or texts as I transition to the new phone.

Any other ideas?
If you are willing to pay $5 a month for your option B, you can then consider 7-eleven SpeakOut for $25 a year. You buy a SpeakOut SIM from 7-eleven and port your number to SpeakOut.