Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
1851 posts
1357 upvotes
Richmond Hill

New kind of scam - via SMS

We all know too well about the scam call about CRA, Some Chinese message, Credit card company to lower your interest rate etc.
I just notice a new kind of scam started, this time via SMS.

See attached picture for SMS my daughter received.

- 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
- Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
22 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33311 posts
7424 upvotes
Ottawa
I got a text claiming to be my bank telling me that my card beginning with #xxxx was compromised. I was to check the attached link for further details.
I was on vacation so I fortunately called the bank and asked how they got my cell number to text me this. They told me it was a scam and knew about it. That pissed me off a lot because they should have been warning their customers but didn't. Still haven't.

Thing is, all cards, debit or visa, from each bank will begin with the same 4 digits. Clicking on the link compromises your device and if you follow the instructions, well, you are screwed.
Best line I have heard in a very long time LOL "I don't argue....I educate." Anonymous
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
22568 posts
2644 upvotes
Montreal
The lousy grammar should be a tip off.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
1975 posts
993 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Jun 26th, 2018 9:53 pm
The lousy grammar should be a tip off.
True. I have been getting such SMS and emails for years. The default rule is "Always Ignore".
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3945 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jun 26th, 2018 6:40 pm
I got a text claiming to be my bank telling me that my card beginning with #xxxx was compromised. I was to check the attached link for further details.
I was on vacation so I fortunately called the bank and asked how they got my cell number to text me this. They told me it was a scam and knew about it. That pissed me off a lot because they should have been warning their customers but didn't. Still haven't.

Thing is, all cards, debit or visa, from each bank will begin with the same 4 digits. Clicking on the link compromises your device and if you follow the instructions, well, you are screwed.
Banks have made a blanket statement that they will never text you, or email you request your to confirm your pin/email/password.
not their fault you are not tech savvy.
Nov 6, 2015
701 posts
296 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Err, how is this any different then scam emails? Any message that wants you to follow a link is a scam, no thinking required, just delete.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33311 posts
7424 upvotes
Ottawa
daivey wrote:
Jun 26th, 2018 11:00 pm
Banks have made a blanket statement that they will never text you, or email you request your to confirm your pin/email/password.
not their fault you are not tech savvy.
Never said they requested my pin/email/password. I do get emails from my bank and as I said, I got a text and called the bank.

I am fairly tech savvy and that is why I called the bank and my post is to inform folks of another scam that is going on. You don't need to be self righteous assuming I am unaware..
Best line I have heard in a very long time LOL "I don't argue....I educate." Anonymous
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
1851 posts
1357 upvotes
Richmond Hill
JoeBlack23 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2018 11:34 pm
Err, how is this any different then scam emails? Any message that wants you to follow a link is a scam, no thinking required, just delete.
Well, no different then email, but hate to see SMS is another channel now.

this message is to my 13yrs old daughter. Lucky I been telling her if you don't know, don't do anything, just ask me first.
- 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
- Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Jan 10, 2009
801 posts
317 upvotes
Toronto
Never ever click on a link in a text message, that's just a good golden rule. And never click on a shortened URL either as you have no idea where it will redirect to. While you're at it, don't use QR codes either as again you can't tell where they link to and there have been scams replacing legitimate codes with fake ones.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
2940 posts
1457 upvotes
Burlington
Pete_Coach wrote:

Lol @ at prospect of the banks warning clients about EVERY single scam out there.
Jan 23, 2018
24 posts
2 upvotes
I don't how to identify a shortened URL. How can a person tell if an email has a shortened URL?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2436 posts
541 upvotes
Ottawa
Hopefully in my golden years I can still be able to smell the BS from 15 football fields away.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33311 posts
7424 upvotes
Ottawa
AtlsNBP wrote:
Jun 27th, 2018 12:08 pm
Hopefully in my golden years I can still be able to smell the BS from 15 football fields away.
What makes you think you can smell it now?? Lots of "young" people getting scammed.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2018 posts
670 upvotes
Winnipeg
Pete_Coach wrote:

In the new world, there are always a number of scams that every major bank/FI will be aware of. If they have to warn customers, they'll have to keep communicating with the customers on a frequent basis. So they try to cover their *** and have blanket legal statements. Its unfortunate that some of them fall prey.

Also, I'm sure they maybe giving thought to things like - will communicating all warning going to prevent vulnerable customers? will some customers get pissed of because of frequent communication? will they turn off some potential customers because their bank communicates frequently? will potential customers think of their bank as vulnerable to scams and therefore turn away? and there is also your case of some customers being pissed off because bank did not warn. and among all this, banks also think of how much it costs them to undertake these activities. so theres more to it.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2436 posts
541 upvotes
Ottawa
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jun 27th, 2018 12:55 pm
What makes you think you can smell it now?? Lots of "young" people getting scammed.
My elevated levels of paranoia is both a blessing and a curse.