• Apr 15th, 2006 3:24 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
430 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
I will take this task of being the ring bearer... uh, I mean guinea pig for food! :D
Sep 19, 2003
70 posts
There is a Korean BBQ all you can eat located in Golden Square (Chinese Plaza) on Burhamthorpe & Creditview. Been there a few times but haven't lately and forgot what the exact price is. It's good if you love meat.
May 28, 2004
226 posts
12 upvotes
Well I called yesterday (Wed.) after reading the post stating they would be using the grills finally....and after a few rings...finally a woman picked up and said that they did have BBQ but it was not AYCE!!!! And then she just said thank you and hung up on me before I could ask anything else (sounded very busy in the background noise).

So I ended up going to Doori and noticed they changed their menu around and now offers AYCE! Unfortunately they didnt have the same selections as the Scar./Markham places...no salmon. However I didn't try their AYCE instead stuck with just their marinated beef ribs and thinly sliced beef.
BTW I think the person who posted just before me is talking about Doori.
I like their grills better because it seems to be more authentic and tastes better with them using some wood chips.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 8, 2002
5038 posts
504 upvotes
Ok I went to Miga for dinner tonight, and overall it was decent.

[IMG]http://www.brandonhum.com/pics/miga/11.jpg[/IMG]

Going inside the restaurant, it looks pretty nice and clean. It's a more upscale Asian restaurant...usually they're not this nice. I'd compare it to a lower-end version of Spring Rolls or Pickle Barrel. It just looks a bit less decorated. The chairs are comfortable though!

[IMG]http://www.brandonhum.com/pics/miga/8.jpg[/IMG]

Everything looks so brand new, nothing previously used!

[IMG]http://www.brandonhum.com/pics/miga/7.jpg[/IMG]

Apparently according to their placemats they have a website, but it's not working for me and they have customized little wet naps!

[IMG]http://www.brandonhum.com/pics/miga/4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.brandonhum.com/pics/miga/6.jpg[/IMG]

We were seated quickly (we got there around 6:45pm), there were a few empty tables so nobody was waiting. Another server came quickly and we got our tea and water right away. Our orders were taken right away so no problem there.

Looking at the menu, I'd say that the sushi prices are competitive ... this is including platters and special rolls. It's about $1 a piece, give or take a bit depending on what you ordered.

[IMG]http://www.brandonhum.com/pics/miga/2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.brandonhum.com/pics/miga/1.jpg[/IMG]

So basically what we ordered was the combo BBQ dinner for two which had pork, beef, beef rib and chicken for $35. I'd say that looking at how much we got, the BBQ wasn't so great of a value. It tasted pretty good though, but you can get more that tastes the same, if not better in Markham (not really that fair cause you can get a lot of food there cheaper, not just kbbq).

The BBQ rack was good and unlike other places I've been, it didn't get dirty quickly at all. We didn't need to change it out for a new one, and I didn't see anybody else require a change into their dinners. There is charcoal (I think) under the racks above the flame.

[IMG]http://www.brandonhum.com/pics/miga/5.jpg[/IMG]

We had a few problems with our BBQ flame going out a few times into the meal. I think it went out 6 times. I noticed that it went out a few times with other tables too, so they might have some equipment problems.

The meal came with the usual appetizers.

[IMG]http://www.brandonhum.com/pics/miga/3.jpg[/IMG]

It was not until mid way into the meal that we began having service problems. Like when the flame went out on the BBQ we would ask a server for help. Some would help us right then, and some would walk away and I guess go get someone else? We had to ask twice for some things, like refills on tea/water/appetizers, the bill and getting the fire turned back on. Usually by the second time they did things a lot faster though.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 8, 2002
5038 posts
504 upvotes
Oohh, and here are pictures of the sushi we ordered.

Dynamite rolls (tempura shrimp) for $7.95 ... don't remember the prices exactly, but they're good guesses.

[IMG]http://www.brandonhum.com/pics/miga/9.jpg[/IMG]

Spider rolls (soft shell crab) for $10.95

[IMG]http://www.brandonhum.com/pics/miga/10.jpg[/IMG]

Oh yea, there are little buttons on the table that you're supposed to press when you want service. Basically when you press the button, your table number shows up on a screen in the employee area. I found this didn't really work. The only person who would come when we pressed the button was a manager...and only if she saw othe same number on the screen for a long time.

I think if they made the BBQ prices a little lower, or even offered all you can eat for slightly higher it would be a lot better. And if they improved the service, it would be good. I could tell that our server was inexperienced (but cute :D ), but I guess with time they'll get better.

I think I would go back for sushi, but probably not just for BBQ.
Mar 5, 2002
846 posts
114 upvotes
Hi All!

Ok, after trying most of the restaurants in the mall complex and consistently eying the Korean Restaurant "Doori", myself and my wife decided to try it, as we are regulars at the Korean BBQ Restaurant in Markham and it tends to be a long trek (from North Brampton) and an expensive one at that after a while (Hwy 407 there and back).

Now on with the review:

We went there on a Wednesday night, so it wasn't very busy. We arrived at around 8:00 pm, and there were about 10 people eating (two groups) eating at separate tables.

The waitress/hostess was very nice, although she was dressed in an apron and hat; she spoke English well enough (she was Korean as I may not understand the language, I can recognize it).

After being seated, (which was instantaneous as it was NOT busy) my wife and I reviewed the menu.

There was the a la carte Korean dishes (bulgolgi among others) and an option for AYCE.

The tables were nicely sized for 4-6 people (although larger people beware and try to avoid booths...it can be pretty tight!)

Since our goal was to try the AYCE here's the deal:

Weekdays Dinner: $15.95
Fri & Weekends : $16.95
Lettuce as part of the BBQ: add $1.00

Soft Drinks are $2.00 but tea and water are free (I believe they use a rice tea which was quite nice).

The AYCE consisted of:

Kelp with virgin olive oil (which I liked...quite salty after a while)
Bean Sprouts marinated in some type of light oily sauce
Fish Cakes (I thought they were pig ears)
Kim Chee (which was good, but the pieces were huge and a little difficult to chew on)
Radish Strings (I believe) which were spiced with the Kim Chee sauce

These were the appitizer/side dishes

The meat consisted of:
Beef (heavily marinated in bulgolgi sauce...enough that pre-cooked, the meat was brown)
Squid
Mussels
Chicken (lightly marinated in a sweet sauce (possibly bulgolgi again?))
Pork (again marinated in sweet sauce)
Short Ribs (lightly marinated in a sweet sauce (presumably bulgolgi sauce again))

The rice was served in covered metal personal bowls (nice as it kept the rice hot and soft, but a little hard to hold until it cools)

The grill was nice, but I have to admit that the heat was not equalized. It was a gas grill, but it was nice that they had wood chips in the grill to give it a fragrant smell.

I don't believe the overhead vent was working properly (or maybe not turned on) as the smoke was going up and everywhere except the vent.

***Personal WARNING***

I have to say that my experience during dinner was good (not great as there was only one waitress serving 5 tables once we started eating). The food I found overall was too sweet, but after a while got used to it.

The beef was so overly marinated that it took a while to cook because it was so wet.

The short ribs were good...the slight sweetness added to the flavour, but when compounded with the sweetness from everything else, it started to get to me.

The squid was good as it was not marinated, just plain squid.

I really liked the chicken and pork, although because they were again overly marinated in sauce, it took a long while before I felt comfortable eating it (chicken and pork afterall) as it was hard to tell if it was cooked or not.

I didn't try the mussels...but they looked dry.

Overall, the meal was decent/good as the rice was very good and helped in eating all that "sauce".

Now the bad thing...

I think that this restaurant either wants it's patrons to stop eating AYCE and try other a la carte dishes from the menu (ie: the bulgolgi (which I normally like in regular Korean restaurants) which is $8.95), or do not want people to order AYCE.

The next day, both myself and my wife woke up with massive throbbing headaches, which we only BOTH have after taking in large amounts of MSG. I'm Chinese and have a high tolerance to the stuff (well...I grew up with the stuff), but on the rare occasion when I have too much, it hits like a brick.

The AYCE food is loaded with the stuff (not sure about the rest though).

Conclusion:
An ok experience when there, but if you eat a lot (AYCE), beware the next day! I think I'll continue to go see my friends at the Korean BBQ Restaurant at Commerce Gate (now known as the Korean Grill I believe) whenever I get the urge for AYCE BBQ.

If you want to give it a try, DOORI is located at:

Doori Korean Bbq Restaurant
1177 Central Parkway West,
Mississauga, ON L5C 4P3

905-896-7999

They are open till 10:30 pm every night, and closed the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of every month (don't know why).

Go there...try it...post it!

Thanks,
Wayne
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
3785 posts
6265 upvotes
I ate there a couple of times @ doori, and i like it, i enjoyed their AYCE as well, yes i do agree that they havily marinated their meats, but it didnt bother me too much, i to had kind of a problem with the grill as it wasnt too hot enough, and things took long to cook, but overall i enjoyed the experience. Hehe yeah about the vent, its never on it seems, and it can get really smoky.

I hear good things about the commerce gate location, and i do want to try it there oneday, but i will settle for this, cause this location is only a few minutes of where I live, and don't want to drive up that far to have dinner lol

my brother tells me when he takes the bus to work, he sees a Korean BBQ AYCE thats posted on their store window (probably got their indoor grill licence or something) cause they didnt advertise it before. Not sure what the restaurants called, but i believe its located on Dundas St. past Hurontario intersection, gonna have to try there oneday

it could be either one of these restaurants my brother is talking about that has the AYCE posted on their window, but not sure which one yet, im gonna have to check it out one day, or someone can go find out and try out their AYCE, and tell us what its like ^^

Pyong Chang Korean Restaurant
905-896-0166
169 Dundas Street East,
Mississauga, ON L5A 1W8

or

Wow Korean Restaurant
905-896-2315
55 Dundas Street East,
Mississauga, ON L5A 1W1
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2005
3789 posts
43 upvotes
South Orange
Yup I've been to Doori too, it's pretty good!
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
so whats the AYCE price for weekday lunch??
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
3785 posts
6265 upvotes
i think its 15.95 Mon-thurs all-day and 17.95 fri-sun all day
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
3785 posts
6265 upvotes
(This is Allen84's brother, Sorry I am too lazy to sign up for an account).

But the AYCE location, in Mississauga at:

169 Dundas Street East,
Mississauga, ON L5A 1W8
905-896-0166

The name of the restaurant is called Korean BBQ. Almost next to the sports bar next door.

It costs $19.99 for Adults and $9.99 8yrs and under. AYCE.

I got extremely lousy service there, grill was not hot enough, and cannot see the flames hardly (bad table maybe??) and we ended up waiting 15 - 20 minutes for them to bring us the next plate of meat for refill. Then the frigging owner comes by and shuts off our grill!! I am like hey, you were supposed to bring more meats, we're not done eating yet! He assumes we're done or something? The place was pretty much empty at first, but as new customers came in. They will not give a sh*t about you anymore it seems. We ended up waiting and waiting until we got so fed up and paid a huge bill for such horrible service. I will never recommend this place to anyone! never ever go there! BAD, BAD, BAD!!

The "Korean Barbecue Restaurant" (soon to be called "Korean Grill House") in the Commerce Gate plaza at 505 Hwy 7 E, Richmond Hill. Was the absolute best place for me. Excellent service, with grills you can actually see the flames on! I recommend this place to everyone. it is Excellent, Excellent, Excellent!! Although a pretty lengthy drive if you live in Mississauga like me.

It seems that most of the good Korean BBQ places are located in North York, Toronto, Scarborough, and Richmond Hill. The ones in Mississauga are pretty lousy and expensive in my opinion.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)