• Jun 16th, 2008 10:22 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
10660 posts
14367 upvotes

New Laptop Hard Drive Keeps Rebooting After Blue Screen

I bought a Samsung 320 GB hard drive to replace my smaller 100 GB Seagate hard drive.

The problem is a blue screen with this error:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down too prevent damage to your computer.

Stop 0x 0000000F4 (0x00000003 0x890DB020 0x890DB194 0x805D13B6)
A memory dump has begun.

And then the laptop reboots. This keeps occurring randomly.

I am using a clean install by using the recovery discs.

Hp DV9005CA - 2 GB RAM - Windows XP Media Center - Nvideo 6150 integrated graphics.

So far I have upgraded the BIOS but does not solve the problem.

Does anyone know what is happening? For some reason the new hard drive is not compatible with my laptop. I put back my old hard drive and it works perfectly. Is it the power supply? Thanks for any help.
Have a nice day!

17 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2008
1258 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
LonesomeDove wrote:
Jun 12th, 2008 10:55 am
I bought a Samsung 320 GB hard drive to replace my smaller 100 GB Seagate hard drive.

The problem is a blue screen with this error:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down too prevent damage to your computer.

Stop 0x 0000000F4 (0x00000003 0x890DB020 0x890DB194 0x805D13B6)
A memory dump has begun.

And then the laptop reboots. This keeps occurring randomly.

I am using a clean install by using the recovery discs.

Hp DV9005CA - 2 GB RAM - Windows XP Media Center - Nvideo 6150 integrated graphics.

So far I have upgraded the BIOS but does not solve the problem.

Does anyone know what is happening? For some reason the new hard drive is not compatible with my laptop. I put back my old hard drive and it works perfectly. Is it the power supply? Thanks for any help.
Maybe the OS on the media is an issue. Try with another XP Home/Pro cd?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
sahilz wrote:
Jun 12th, 2008 11:32 am
Maybe the OS on the media is an issue. Try with another XP Home/Pro cd?
Think OP is using discs that come with the laptop that put back the factory load.

One test would be to reload on original HD and see if it BSODs.

Can the laptop "officially" handle such a big drive? Check with laptop manufacturer.
This space for rent
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
Quick Google says you may want to check that drive is not set to slave by accident.

(EDIT)
Well, scratch that. Your drive is SATA, and I'm assuming there's no secondary HD slot on the laptop.
This space for rent
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
10660 posts
14367 upvotes
Mr Nobody wrote:
Jun 12th, 2008 4:33 pm
Quick Google says you may want to check that drive is not set to slave by accident.

(EDIT)
Well, scratch that. Your drive is SATA, and I'm assuming there's no secondary HD slot on the laptop.
Yes, I found that suggestion on the net but it applied to desktops.
The recovery discs I made myself and I have not tried it on my original Hard Drive. I am afraid if I did, then the laptop would become unusable.
Can the laptop "officially" handle such a big drive? Check with laptop manufacturer.
That is something I am thinking also, maybe the power supply can't handle it. The new hard drive is rated 0.85 Amp. while the old hard drive is 0.48 Amp.
Have a nice day!

Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2006
3742 posts
58 upvotes
Markham, ON
A fresh install with your recovery disk will not help since the disk was created to be compatible with your old hard drive. You probably don't have the proper driver/controller for the new hard drive on your OS.

My suggestion is to reinstall your OS with a retail OS disk and not use the recovery disk.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2008
1028 posts
77 upvotes
Etobicoke
Sounds like wrong drivers.

Can you boot up in SAFE MODE? If so I would check to see if the proper drivers are installed. By using the original CD's, HP most likely drops a driver folder in C:\
The only place you're going to find a helping hand, is at he end of your own wrist. Joe Mondello
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
LonesomeDove wrote:
Jun 12th, 2008 9:07 pm
Yes, I found that suggestion on the net but it applied to desktops.
The recovery discs I made myself and I have not tried it on my original Hard Drive. I am afraid if I did, then the laptop would become unusable.
Create an image of the old HD. Then you can test two things:

1. Ghost from the image to the new HD.
2. Try recovery disc on old HD.

Since you mentioned you made the recovery disc yourself, I would suspect that. Please describe the details of the recovery discs.
This space for rent
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2007
1453 posts
191 upvotes
Waterloo
Mr Nobody wrote:
Jun 13th, 2008 9:34 am
Create an image of the old HD. Then you can test two things:

1. Ghost from the image to the new HD.
2. Try recovery disc on old HD.

Since you mentioned you made the recovery disc yourself, I would suspect that. Please describe the details of the recovery discs.
Sounds like good advice. If you have a desktop, you can always plug in the original hard drive and the new drive and do a 1:1 copy using ghost/acronis or any other mirroring tool. When upgrading the hard drive in an x60, i just used acronis to image the old hdd and extracted it onto the new 320gb and it worked great.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6686 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
Did you run a diagnostic on the new drive to ensure that its integrity is 100%?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
10660 posts
14367 upvotes
Drew_W wrote:
Jun 13th, 2008 10:02 am
Did you run a diagnostic on the new drive to ensure that its integrity is 100%?
Yes, I ran a diagnostic on the new drive and the test passed.
Techhead wrote:
Jun 13th, 2008 9:12 am
Sounds like wrong drivers.

Can you boot up in SAFE MODE? If so I would check to see if the proper drivers are installed. By using the original CD's, HP most likely drops a driver folder in C:\
yhap2003 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2008 9:04 am
A fresh install with your recovery disk will not help since the disk was created to be compatible with your old hard drive. You probably don't have the proper driver/controller for the new hard drive on your OS.

My suggestion is to reinstall your OS with a retail OS disk and not use the recovery disk.
I only have the recovery discs.
superfigz wrote:
Jun 13th, 2008 9:56 am
Sounds like good advice. If you have a desktop, you can always plug in the original hard drive and the new drive and do a 1:1 copy using ghost/acronis or any other mirroring tool. When upgrading the hard drive in an x60, i just used acronis to image the old hdd and extracted it onto the new 320gb and it worked great.
Thanks for everyone's suggestions! The concensus seems to be a driver/controller issue. Could you go to Device Manager, under property of the drive, and update the drivers there? I tried that and it said you have the latest drivers.
Perhaps I can try the 1:1 copying using Ghost. I have an external drive enclosure that I was going to use after swapping out the drives.
Have a nice day!

Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
LonesomeDove wrote:
Jun 13th, 2008 10:45 am
Thanks for everyone's suggestions! The concensus seems to be a driver/controller issue. Could you go to Device Manager, under property of the drive, and update the drivers there? I tried that and it said you have the latest drivers.
Perhaps I can try the 1:1 copying using Ghost. I have an external drive enclosure that I was going to use after swapping out the drives.
AFAIK, there are no specific drivers for specific HD models (built into Windows).

What about telling us what the recovery discs are?
This space for rent
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
10660 posts
14367 upvotes
Mr Nobody wrote:
Jun 13th, 2008 11:38 am
AFAIK, there are no specific drivers for specific HD models (built into Windows).

What about telling us what the recovery discs are?
The recovery discs are for the HP dv9005ca Laptop. The OS is Windows XP Media Center.
Have a nice day!

Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
LonesomeDove wrote:
Jun 13th, 2008 12:21 pm
The recovery discs are for the HP dv9005ca Laptop. The OS is Windows XP Media Center.
Wait a minute, you said you made them yourself. Or do you mean there was an imbedded repair partition on the original HD with an option to make recovery CDs instead?
This space for rent
× < >