• Sep 19th, 2012 7:02 pm
Tags:
Dec 19, 2011
64 posts
25 upvotes
MONTR

New laptop with HDMI out?

Hi guys,

I have a 3.5 years old laptop (Dell XPS M1530) that is starting to show signs of aging.. Yesterday the battery played dead for a while, and the overall comupter is much slower than before. I don't use it that much, mainly for internet and such, but I also play Diablo 3 and other games once in a while. I lag A LOT while playing D3 and I thought I would start looking for a replacement now, so when it dies or is close to I know my options and I can also spot some deals until then.

I looked at some Dell laptops (12 days of deals) and I can't find a mention of an HDMI out port on their laptops. Is that normal now? Mine has one and I use it a lot to plug my computer on my TV and watch tv shows, movies, etc. It's a must for me but it seems far from standard on laptops these days. Or maybe I'm mistaken?

From what i've read I would probably go with an i5 processor, lots of RAM and a decent graphic card. Although I'm not an intense gamer (hence the laptop) I like being able to play with good graphics and no lag.

What would you recommend? I won't build a laptop myself, so Dell? I don't want the cheap stuff, but won't shed 2000$ either. My budget is in the 1000$ range.

Thanks
6 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
2379 posts
504 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

Yeah. Dell is like Apple in that they think that there is no need for anyone to question what the specs are. Just be happy that the Corporation knows what your needs are & whichever laptop you choose will be the right 1 for you. NOT. There are 100's of threads on "help me choose a new laptop", just use the "forum search" button located above the "cell phone" box. You need to find out what your game's recommended video cards are before you start looking for a new laptop. Also try to get a laptop that has at least 1 USB3 port, since more & more hardware is using this faster port.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
444 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
gabrieltp wrote: Hi guys,

I have a 3.5 years old laptop (Dell XPS M1530) that is starting to show signs of aging.. Yesterday the battery played dead for a while, and the overall comupter is much slower than before. I don't use it that much, mainly for internet and such, but I also play Diablo 3 and other games once in a while. I lag A LOT while playing D3 and I thought I would start looking for a replacement now, so when it dies or is close to I know my options and I can also spot some deals until then.

I looked at some Dell laptops (12 days of deals) and I can't find a mention of an HDMI out port on their laptops. Is that normal now? Mine has one and I use it a lot to plug my computer on my TV and watch tv shows, movies, etc. It's a must for me but it seems far from standard on laptops these days. Or maybe I'm mistaken?

From what i've read I would probably go with an i5 processor, lots of RAM and a decent graphic card. Although I'm not an intense gamer (hence the laptop) I like being able to play with good graphics and no lag.

What would you recommend? I won't build a laptop myself, so Dell? I don't want the cheap stuff, but won't shed 2000$ either. My budget is in the 1000$ range.

Thanks
Reinstall your OS. Guaranteed performance increase.
Dec 19, 2011
64 posts
25 upvotes
MONTR
Fraser River Rat wrote: Hi,

Yeah. Dell is like Apple in that they think that there is no need for anyone to question what the specs are. Just be happy that the Corporation knows what your needs are & whichever laptop you choose will be the right 1 for you. NOT. There are 100's of threads on "help me choose a new laptop", just use the "forum search" button located above the "cell phone" box. You need to find out what your game's recommended video cards are before you start looking for a new laptop. Also try to get a laptop that has at least 1 USB3 port, since more & more hardware is using this faster port.
How do you recommend I look for the HDMI out? I checked on newegg and they din't list it either.. Should I look online at the graphic card specs? I'm confused...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
Most laptops, especially in your price range will include an HDMI port.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Take a look at some Asus laptops. They are very well built one of the best laptop manufactures around.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/Search/SearchResu ... ewall=true

http://www.ncix.com/notebooks/
Look at the Asus laptops at ncix ^

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... %3BMfr_107

Almost all laptops will come with an HDMI port now unless you are going for something really cheap. You got to look at the detailed specs of the laptop and look at the ports, should be listed near the usb ports and so on.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2012
1921 posts
124 upvotes
gabrieltp wrote: How do you recommend I look for the HDMI out? I checked on newegg and they din't list it either.. Should I look online at the graphic card specs? I'm confused...
Go to the laptops and notebooks section, on the bar on the left, change to advanced search. HDMI out at the bottom. 500+ hits I think it was?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)