• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2018 11:05 am
[OP]
Aug 16, 2009
38 posts
19 upvotes
Hamilton

New law regarding resale tickets prices - a question

Hoping someone can educate me here, and apologies if this is the wrong space to post this.
As of today, Ontario law states that resale tickets cannot be sold for more than 50% more than face value. On the Ticketmaster Canada site, verified resale tickets are still being sold well over this threshold. Ticketmaster Canada has its headquarters in Toronto, so I expected the prices would have to change as of today.
Have I misunderstood this law?
Thanks
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2439 posts
1391 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
threepeeo wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 3:14 pm
Hoping someone can educate me here, and apologies if this is the wrong space to post this.
As of today, Ontario law states that resale tickets cannot be sold for more than 50% more than face value. On the Ticketmaster Canada site, verified resale tickets are still being sold well over this threshold. Ticketmaster Canada has its headquarters in Toronto, so I expected the prices would have to change as of today.
Have I misunderstood this law?
Thanks
What did the government say when you reported it?

My guess is that people have to update their pricing, or Ticketmaster didn't properly program their interface to prevent the breaches.

What you should do tomorrow however is report it. It's a violation and the more people report the violations, the more something will actually be done.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
Aug 16, 2009
38 posts
19 upvotes
Hamilton
Thanks. I’ll do that.
Why all the downvotes? Sorry, I didn’t know where to post this. Just don’t vote, or kindly redirect me. No need to be hostile. Wow.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7667 posts
5145 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
threepeeo wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 4:34 pm
Thanks. I’ll do that.
Why all the downvotes? Sorry, I didn’t know where to post this. Just don’t vote, or kindly redirect me. No need to be hostile. Wow.
Re - Downvotes

I see you are fairly new to RFD, so welcome.

No rhyme or reason to downvotes here (many are trying to get this option removed... see the Forum dedicated to Site Suggestions)

People could downvote for a bunch of reasons

1- They don’t like your topic
2- They don’t like where you posted the topic
3- They don’t like your POV
4- They don’t like you

It’s dumb. But it is what it is

I figure in this case, it’s probably not # 4, as you are a noob.
More than likely it’s # 3 ... cause RFDers are known to be cheap opportunists (some more than others)
So could be a lot of ticket scalpers reading your post... and they

1- Don’t like the law
2- Don’t like Government
3- Don’t like the current Government
4- Don’t like your Topic
5- Don’t like your POV
6- Now don’t like you

BUT... are relieved you did not post it anywhere near the ENTERTAINMENT FORUM or where HIT DEALS on Tkts are posted, thereby cutting into their biz
:rolleyes:
[OP]
Aug 16, 2009
38 posts
19 upvotes
Hamilton
Thanks a lot for the reply. I do seem like I newbie as I never post, but actually joined in 2009! Maybe I should post more often, or not! Flushed Face Thanks again.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7667 posts
5145 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
threepeeo wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 5:35 pm
Thanks a lot for the reply. I do seem like I newbie as I never post, but actually joined in 2009! Maybe I should post more often, or not! Flushed Face Thanks again.
Oops

My bad, I just read your number of posts... not your join date
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15625 posts
5884 upvotes
Oakville
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 4:44 pm
BUT... are relieved you did not post it anywhere near the ENTERTAINMENT FORUM or where HIT DEALS on Tkts are posted, thereby cutting into their biz
It was originally posted in hot deals, which I'm sure is where many of the downvotes came from.

@threepeeo - you'll be happy to know that downvotes mean *literally nothing*, so you don't have to worry about how many your thread gets. :)
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient