• May 15th, 2016 9:45 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32134 posts
15416 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Anikiri wrote: I linked one from a year back. Should be cheaper this year. Wait for the deal. Has terrible reviews but hey buy one anyway
Perhaps you should read my posts in that thread :rolleyes:
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
Quentin5 wrote: Perhaps you should read my posts in that thread :rolleyes:
You are not important enough for me to read all that. But whatever it is doesn't really matter. It was cordless and cheap. It was also a piece of garbage.
Sep 8, 2014
83 posts
77 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Anikiri wrote: First of all, comparing a POS $99 cordless mower to a Tesla was the first preposterous analogy. I am merely adding to it. If I am making no sense, then you should reconsider the root of the analogy.
You're the one who brought up the $99 mower. My point which you clearly missed entirely was that a sweeping statement that nobody who ever tried a gas mower would ever want to use an electric one was clearly ridiculous. Just as the reverse would be.

There are crappy gas mowers, there are quality gas mowers, there are crappy electric mowers and there are quality electric mowers. Like most things, you get what you pay for.

Personally I prefer electric so long as it can comfortably mow the lawn in one charge, as I don't want the hassle of gas, oil or other maintenance. But I'm not so narrow minded as to expect everybody to agree with me.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
Anikiri wrote: Basically the people who are recommending electric have never used a gas one. They aren't wrong to say that a gas engine mower will require some maintenance (oil change, spark plug, filter, etc...). But honestly the only thing you gotta do is top off the oil once in a while.

I hardly think anyone would want to go back to electric once they've used gas. It isn't hte same. You may think electric is great because that's what you are using now, but once you've used a 190 cc gas mower, you aren't going back. Guaranteed.
You know what they say about assumptions...

I used gas mowers for 25 years prior to getting a battery one. And I did mowing as side jobs as a teenager for cash. I had a good mower. And yet I still use a battery one today, and like it. THE HORROR!
I had gas because I needed it to do lawns back-to-back-to-back without stopping. But for home use, I only need one battery charge and I'm good. No maintenance, no gas station trips, no filling gas and hands smelling of it for hours. Terrible deal, these electric units.

I would counter your assumption with another one - anyone saying gas because a battery one will die halfway through your lawn has not used one of those either.
These people would either fail to keep a battery charged (and would be the same people to run out of gas halfway and need to go to the gas station...) or have a ridiculously large golf course lawn.
I have a much larger than average suburban lawn and manage with charge to spare.
Apr 30, 2004
273 posts
79 upvotes
Electric mover Batteries must be maintained, charged over the winter. My mover had two small lead batteries same like in a car- replacement $100.
New battery lasts 2, maximum 3 years, mover is heavy, strong only first 15 min.
Bought used , almost new gas mover from Kijiji- lots for sale there.
No more issues, easy to push, powerful.
Inhaling smoke?- never thought about it.
In the fall I switch off fuel valve, run mover until it stops- starts 3 pulls in the spring.
No maintenance, it break- will buy another used for $50..
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
I've used lots of electric (corded) and gas mowers. The electric mowers work fine on nice firm level lawns with neat well-trimmed grass and little moss. They're too wimpy and slow for large lots with heavy grass, rough areas or damp mossy patches that the mower sinks into. My current gas mower is 25 years old (Sears Craftsman with a Tecumseh 6.5 hp engine with electronic ignition). It doesn't need tuning, and any routine replacement parts I have always been able to buy easily at local stores. I like electric for convenience, but only for easy mowing jobs. For anything more, you need gas. The battery-powered electrics are tempting, but everyone who has any battery powered device knows that they never meet their lifespan ratings. The battery will be noticeably weaker within 2-3 years of purchase.

How many professional lawn care services do you see using electric mowers?
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes
I've used gas mower when I was young. Got an electric when I bought my own house. For the last 10 years I've been using a... reel mower. The clipping noise from the reel much much much easier on the ears than the noise from the electric motor. Don't even mention noise from the gas mower.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Reel mowers do the best job of cutting neatly, and of course a manual push reel mower is great exercise. But only works on firm flat low-cropped lawns.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13010 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
Anikiri wrote: Basically the people who are recommending electric have never used a gas one. They aren't wrong to say that a gas engine mower will require some maintenance (oil change, spark plug, filter, etc...). But honestly the only thing you gotta do is top off the oil once in a while.

I hardly think anyone would want to go back to electric once they've used gas. It isn't hte same. You may think electric is great because that's what you are using now, but once you've used a 190 cc gas mower, you aren't going back. Guaranteed.
How is storing the gas mower? I assume it has to remain on a flat surface? I'm similar to OP right now. Just thinking about storage a I saw some electric ones that can be folded neatly and hanged.
Sep 29, 2015
279 posts
81 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Ryobi 40v 20" mower, Im considering it or the EGO mower.

My lawn area is about 3000 to 3500 sqft and want to make sure the battery life will be adequate, as well is the ego better for the $60 extra. Ryobi system accessories (string trimmer) cost less to..
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10408 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto
rkjredflag wrote: Gas for sure.
+1 gas for sure!

think of it this way, even gas slows down, if you have or let the grass grow long to 1 inch tall, electric will have a hard time cutting it because it gets wet!

gas for sure!
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Sep 29, 2015
279 posts
81 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
akito925 wrote: +1 gas for sure!

think of it this way, even gas slows down, if you have or let the grass grow long to 1 inch tall, electric will have a hard time cutting it because it gets wet!

gas for sure!
What are you basing this opinion on??

This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAkU6hj8Ed0 at 2:45 into it shows the ego mower cutting very thick grass without trouble....
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes
akito925 wrote: +1 gas for sure!

gas for sure!
1 inch????
Aug 14, 2009
181 posts
65 upvotes
I bought a gas mower from Home Depot approx 9 years ago. Maybe $250-350

I have not done one ounce of maintenance to it
No winterizing no changing gas or checking oil, no changing spark plug

I treat the thing like ***** .

Just fired it up yesterday. I had to prime the beast 6 times and 6 pulls later cut the grass NO PROBLEM

I've had corded and battery. I will not go back to battery for years and years.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2015
1298 posts
1417 upvotes
Abbotsford
My 1989 toro is still going strong. Cut the lawns twice a week in spring. Once a week in summer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)