• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2018 5:22 am
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 19, 2010
347 posts
23 upvotes

New Mattamy home- builder not responding

I bought a new Mattamy townhome. Defects were identified at PDI and on closing day. I was told these would get fixed in a few days and nothing has been done in a week (the builder has a spare key as well). The Mattamy builder rep on site has not been answering my calls or text messages. I know I have a 30 day Tarion Warranty as a recourse and can submit a defect list at that time but I plan to have the place tenanted and would prefer to have the issues addressed before then.

Can I engage Tarion now to put some pressure on Mattamy? Any other options other than waiting for the 30 day review?

Thanks.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1490 posts
552 upvotes
Alliston, ON
There is a timeline to follow before tarion will get involved. I believe they have either 120 days to fix things. Just make sure everything is on your 30day list.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9538 posts
3838 upvotes
Ottawa
No you cannot engage them. The pdi is a baseline of things left to do or to re-do and fixing those before move-in is only a courtesy thing, not mandated by Tarion. They have 30 days to fix them before you can engage Tarion. They can take up to 120 days too if justified.

Surprising you’re being ignored by a quality customer focused builder like Mattamy /sarcasm
Last edited by Cas77 on Feb 14th, 2018 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1227 posts
306 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
callmebob wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:50 am
I bought a new Mattamy townhome. Defects were identified at PDI and on closing day. I was told these would get fixed in a few days and nothing has been done in a week (the builder has a spare key as well). The Mattamy builder rep on site has not been answering my calls or text messages. I know I have a 30 day Tarion Warranty as a recourse and can submit a defect list at that time but I plan to have the place tenanted and would prefer to have the issues addressed before then.

Can I engage Tarion now to put some pressure on Mattamy? Any other options other than waiting for the 30 day review?

Thanks.
Go to the site construction office and speak to someone in person. Like others have said they have 30 days to address the issues
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
19952 posts
4900 upvotes
Toronto
Mattamy should have a company slogan ... "Fixing one hell hole at a time" Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes Therefore, you will just have to get in line.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5277 posts
1082 upvotes
Whitby
Is there still a sales office at the site....complaining politely but loud enough to be heard by potential customers will move you up the repair list.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
27766 posts
3587 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Zamboni wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 6:49 pm
Is there still a sales office at the site....complaining politely but loud enough to be heard by potential customers will move you up the repair list.
I doubt there is a sales office. Probably just a trailer for the site supervisor or worse, they are working out of an uncompleted home.
[OP]
Dec 19, 2010
347 posts
23 upvotes
There’s a construction office on site but no sales centre. I called the builder rep today and there is a distinct change in tone (attitude) from before the closing to now, not surprised as they've been paid already.

I’m confused by the comment re “they have 30 days to fix”. Do they have 30 days from closing date to fix items identifies at PDI and then I submit a 30 day defect list which gets actioned under the Tarion Warranty for which they have 120 days to fix? They asked me to wait close to the 30 day mark to submit my defect list. Can I not just submit it now to get them to take immediate action?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1490 posts
552 upvotes
Alliston, ON
callmebob wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 9:25 pm
There’s a construction office on site but no sales centre. I called the builder rep today and there is a distinct change in tone (attitude) from before the closing to now, not surprised as they've been paid already.

I’m confused by the comment re “they have 30 days to fix”. Do they have 30 days from closing date to fix items identifies at PDI and then I submit a 30 day defect list which gets actioned under the Tarion Warranty for which they have 120 days to fix? They asked me to wait close to the 30 day mark to submit my defect list. Can I not just submit it now to get them to take immediate action?
The PDI list is just a list of Deficiencies before you took possession of your house. There is no timeline as to when they need to be fixed. Its so that the builder can't go back and say that you caused the damage or whatever after you moved in.
Any items that aren't completed from your PDI list get added to your 30-day Form along with anything new that you might have found that needs fixing. You only get to submit 1 30day form, so submitting it closer to the 30 day mark is better than doing it after the first week of possession. Once the form is accepted by Tarion, then the builder has 120-days to fix the items on the list. Once the 120 days passes, you may then go to Tarion to Request a Conciliation. You have 30 days to make this request

I suggest you make your self familiar with the Tarion site and all the necessary forms
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4395 posts
402 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
You really need to familiarize yourself with the warranty you have on your new home.
https://www.tarion.com/homeowners/your- ... r-warranty

What schade stated is correct.

I'm sure Mattamy will fix any and all legitimately documented concerns, but they are not going to 'jump' at you. You purchased a production home, not a custom home.

Sending a 'text message' is no way to legitimately document something. Be formal, use the proper channels.

And renting the place out is not their concern. If you need to clear with your tenants to have Mattamy trades come in and handle issues and they can't get in, this is going to strike against you as a refused appointment.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Nov 30, 2011
763 posts
197 upvotes
GTA
schade wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 9:45 pm
Once the 120 days passes, you may then go to Tarion to Request a Conciliation. You have 30 days to make this request
And if you do make a Conciliation request (and pay the $250+HST Fee), the builder has another 30 days to fix the items.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
1142 posts
833 upvotes
As others have stated, it is time for you to review the Tarion Warranty process - which you should have been given a copy of at your PDI.

No, there are no other options with regard to waiting for the 30 day report. You can submit it early if you like, but it will form your 30 day report and you cannot submit another report and claim that you are within the 30 day window.

The PDI is not a warranted period for Tarion. It is, as stated above, simply a report on the condition of the home. So many people erroneously believe that the issues identified at the PDI will be rectified prior to closing, when there is no warrantable obligation to do so.

Your challenge with tenants is that you will have to provide 24 hour written notice for the trades to enter the home to deal with the deficiency. Getting a commitment from the trade to actually be there on time can sometimes be a problem. You will also need to be there to sign off on the repair as I highly doubt that the tenant will want to be involved in that process.
Jan 15, 2013
890 posts
153 upvotes
Mississauga
Was there ever a class action lawsuit against Matammy, ever?

OP won't be the last to complain against them. Sorry for your situation.
Jul 27, 2008
81 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
Also going through the same issue with the townhouse they built