• Oct 9th, 2016 11:45 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
677 upvotes
South of Ottawa

New Montreal BSL Bylaw

In case people are wondering, this bylaw was passed by a 37-24 margin.

For those that aren't aware, it is an "animal control policy" knee jerked after the death of a woman in Montreal, mauled by a supposed pitbull type dog, that in fact was a boxer.

Beginning October 3, 2016, all "pitbull" type dogs, must be licensed, registered, spayed/neutered, and muzzled.

By March 1, owners must supply documentation proving the dog has a special permit ($150), is sterilized, microchipped and vaccinated; owners can only have one dog. Owners will have to submit proof they have no criminal record.

Further regulations:

ALL dogs (and cats) MUST be sterilized before 2019.
All dogs over 20kg (45lbs) must have a leash attached to both a harness AND a collar.
Any dog in violation of the regulations can be found non-compliant and deemed dangerous, and then killed.
Any dog that kills a rodent, frog, squirrel, chipmunk, etc. may be declared dangerous and killed.
Animal inspectors may enter any home (without a warrant) to ensure bylaws are followed.

If you live in Montreal and own a dog, any type of dog, you should be outraged. The implications of this bylaw are far reaching and no matter where you stand on the pitbull issue, you should be outraged. Call the mayor or your councillor if they are one of those 37 that voted yes.

Vote Breakdown

Montreal Animal Bylaw (In french only - haven't found an english copy yet)
6 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
677 upvotes
South of Ottawa
The bylaw has been suspended by Quebec Superior Court until a decision on Wednesday. And it sounds like the Judge will likely side with the SPCA.

"During arguments between the city’s lawyers and the SPCA, Gouin intimated the city’s new bylaw is too broad, oversteps the city’s legal boundaries and unfairly targets a vast swath of the city’s dog population by treating them as dangerous without just cause."

It's encouraging news, however it doesn't go far enough. The entire bylaw should be scrapped and re-drafted by people with at least one brain to share between them.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
677 upvotes
South of Ottawa
The ruling came in and the parts dealing with pitbulls are suspended (indefinitely?). There is another animal advocacy group going to court on this as well; hopefully it will address the other issues that are out of line.

Judge suspends Montreal's pit bull ban ...
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2989 posts
456 upvotes
I hope so too. Re the leash that has to to be attached to both a collar and a harness. Our dog uses a harness since he is a puller (I know, they always don't work) but since he has mega hairy fur around his neck at least we can see it. I know people who do use two leashes in case the clip on one of them breaks. It happens - actually fortunately for us it happened as we were putting the leash on our dog. We always carry a spare.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
677 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Blanche123 wrote:
Oct 7th, 2016 10:43 am
I hope so too. Re the leash that has to to be attached to both a collar and a harness. Our dog uses a harness since he is a puller (I know, they always don't work) but since he has mega hairy fur around his neck at least we can see it. I know people who do use two leashes in case the clip on one of them breaks. It happens - actually fortunately for us it happened as we were putting the leash on our dog. We always carry a spare.
I have a martingale harness for both of mine. It works extremely well with both dogs, but I would never even dream of have a second leash attached to their collars. There is absolutely no benefit to it from any perspective.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2989 posts
456 upvotes
Beachdown - I can't imagine using a separate leash on a collar and on a harness either. The people I have seen with two leashes have them both attached to the harness hook.

The clip that broke on one of our leashes as we hooked it up was on his best leash - the leather one. I called the manufacturer in Montreal and they sent me a new clip and a shoemaker sewed it on to the leather leash.

Our dog used to chew his leashes - about 9 inches from the hookup. We started to buy double thick leashes and they helped a lot. For some reason he did not chew his leashes when he was with me - so for many years only I used the leather leash. Now we both use it and it is broken in. We do have a martingale collar which disappears on him. Size re a harness is difficult since his weight is exactly at the max for size S but the M is too long (he weighs 25 lbs. (I hope). He is also a very strong dog who plays well with the big guys at his weekly socialization.