Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
Shomi is getting 4K content.

from http://www.rogers.com/web/support/accou ... ignite/389

Starting in 2016, Rogers will deliver:
  • Every Toronto Blue Jays 2016 season home game (81) broadcast in 4K with HDR live on Sportsnet.
  • Starting January 23rd, 2016 with Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Montreal Canadiens followed by one regular season NHL game per week broadcast in 4K with HDR live on Sportsnet
  • Over 100 hours of movies, original series and TV shows on shomi in 4K
  • An ever-growing catalog of Netflix original series in 4K such as Narcos, Marvel's Daredevil, Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp, Sense8, Grace and Frankie, Chef's Table, Bloodline, House of Cards and more.
[/FONT]
also the Netflix app will be on select set top boxes and Android devices

from http://www.rogers.com/web/support/accou ... ignite/389

Why is Rogers working with Netflix?

Working with Netflix will directly connect the Rogers network to Netflix servers, enabling a better Netflix experience with faster start-up times and superior image quality. Netflix will be available to Rogers customers on select set top boxes and Android devices in 2016. As a customer, you will get an enhanced network connection to stream all content, including 4K with clearer picture quality and no impact to your other services.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4508 posts
700 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Does any one use Shomi? I've got Netflix and am thinking about subscribing to Shomi as well. Any thoughts? Haven't heard much about it.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
Just sign up for the free trial. I use it, but have never used Netflix. I have the advantage of being able to get it on my digital boxes. I stream because I have no TV in the kitchen. Using a digital box is like using an on demand movie.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4508 posts
700 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
AudiDude wrote: Just sign up for the free trial. I use it, but have never used Netflix. I have the advantage of being able to get it on my digital boxes. I stream because I have no TV in the kitchen. Using a digital box is like using an on demand movie.
Thanks. Will do. Are new episodes of shows added as they air?
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
Typhoonz wrote: Thanks. Will do. Are new episodes of shows added as they air?
Seems like the conveyor belt at the airport. It sit there and does nothing for a bit and then it spurts forward. I just have many series on the go so I micro binge.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6479 posts
3344 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Two month free trial for now, not sure for how much longer, so I'm trying it out. So far my wife's binge rewatched Outlander so she's happy. We watched Volcano (90s) which isn't on Netflix. The selection's pretty damn good.

I guess their Killer App going forward is Showtime titles and current season episodes of shows on Rogers' CityTV. Hope the new season of Shameless trickles on during my trial (starts Jan 10).
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
The $8.99 fee vanishes on select Rogers internet plans.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2208 posts
692 upvotes
Toronto
I just used it for Fargo. Horrible app overall - clunky and stopped working days on end for me.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
26216 posts
39767 upvotes
Toronto
So far so good for me. using app on Android phone. Also works great with Google Chromecast.
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
3877 posts
1975 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Included in my TV package... don't use it often but more and more originals are coming out and they're actually quite good.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
2905 posts
2578 upvotes
Toronto
djdestroyer wrote: Included in my TV package... don't use it often but more and more originals are coming out and they're actually quite good.
Check out Fresh off the boat, its actually quite funny.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4508 posts
700 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
zobi123 wrote: Check out Fresh off the boat, its actually quite funny.
Agreed. Just signed up. Quite a good selection to supplement Netflix!
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10747 posts
7907 upvotes
Global Village
AudiDude wrote: Apparently 2 months free now.
Wait, it's 2 months free for new customers but only 1 month free for existing Rogers customers! Way to reward your own customers Rogers...
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
scoper wrote: Wait, it's 2 months free for new customers but only 1 month free for existing Rogers customers! Way to reward your own customers Rogers...
Most of the people like me get Shomi and NHL centre ice for free. The only people that can't are using internet packages on the low end which means they would probably go over with their usage anyway or old internet packages. So if you do not have Rogers internet and are using a third party and Netflix, the idea would be for you to move to Rogers, drop the $10 for Netflix and roll that into the internet cost. If you are existing Rogers, with a small internet plan and TV, you could stay with that and pay the same money for Shomi and save the bandwidth by watching it through a digital box.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2006
1686 posts
999 upvotes
AudiDude wrote: Most of the people like me get Shomi and NHL centre ice for free. the idea would be for you to move to Rogers, drop the $10 for Netflix and roll that into the internet cost.
Netflix has much better library than Shomi. Also every few month I change DNS on PS3 and watch many US Shows.
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10747 posts
7907 upvotes
Global Village
AudiDude wrote: Most of the people like me get Shomi and NHL centre ice for free. The only people that can't are using internet packages on the low end which means they would probably go over with their usage anyway or old internet packages. So if you do not have Rogers internet and are using a third party and Netflix, the idea would be for you to move to Rogers, drop the $10 for Netflix and roll that into the internet cost. If you are existing Rogers, with a small internet plan and TV, you could stay with that and pay the same money for Shomi and save the bandwidth by watching it through a digital box.
I am a Rogers tv customer with a Rogers HD PVR, if they offered TV customers 2 months free I would sign up and watch through my PVR. Instead they care more about new customers signing up than their own TV customers. Epic fail in treating existing TV customers who want to try the service fairly.
Jul 10, 2012
109 posts
225 upvotes
Toronto
Is shomi free indefinitely for rogers internet subscribers?
Jun 4, 2008
29 posts
1 upvote
The Shomi website says that support for PS4 and XBox One is coming in January. (2016 is assumed).
Feb 25, 2006
315 posts
22 upvotes
mosbyt wrote: Is shomi free indefinitely for rogers internet subscribers?
No it isn't. I asked that specific question when I activated my subscription for Shomi over the phone. It is valid for 2 years from the time you sign up to their Internet Packages. Then you have to pay up. So I signed up for Rogers Internet in June 2015 and only activated Shomi a few weeks ago. I lost out on 6 months of free service.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)