Computers & Electronics

New Ontario Eco-Fees (Environmental Handling) May 1, 2013 >29" TV increases to $39.50

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2013 2:21 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 29, 2004
755 posts
48 upvotes

New Ontario Eco-Fees (Environmental Handling) May 1, 2013 >29" TV increases to $39.50

Did a quick search but could not find this posted earlier.

Here is the new schedule of Ontario Electronic Stewardship cost recovery fees or Eco fees or Environmental Handling Fees

http://www.ontarioelectronicstewardship ... 5_2013.pdf

The most notable is the increase for > 29" TV's from $27.60 to $39.50
Reduce Fortune Discussion
26 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8556 posts
584 upvotes
GTA
Yeah, heard them talk about it on the radio a few weeks ago. Unfortunately people aren't protesting this more. The government said they were going to change it to make the companies not charge extra for the eco fee. But, that would basically just mean that the price would be adjusted for the eco fee and not shown separately. I think I would prefer that since retailers do a poor job of displaying ECO fees in pricing labels/etc.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3233 posts
329 upvotes
Belleville
What a load of crap. I'm so sick of these money grabs
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6911 posts
340 upvotes
That's the Liberals for you in Ontario. Simply tax and fee you to the point of poverty. I was trying to dispose of some paint that I didn't need anymore to Home Depot and they refused to take it even though they had charged me an ECO disposal fee for it.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
297 upvotes
New Westminster
i wish they would make it a deposit like on cans and bottles so that years from now you can return it to a depot that takes apart TV's and other electronics for scrap and you can or whoever has the TV at the time can get the deposit back. it does nothing as it stands now to make people want to do anything but still leave the TV next to the dumpster and have it end up at the dump. it is basically just a cash grab for provincial governments.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
1146 posts
79 upvotes
This is a SCAM by the government ...
Signature removed for violating the rules.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
7792 posts
821 upvotes
Toronto
lool.. 300$ for a TV, over 10% more for recycling fee, and then you have tax ontop of both of those prices. Christ, wtfff
Jul 23, 2003
505 posts
21 upvotes
ECO tax is pretty BS to begin with but the amount of crying in here is hilarious.

"Oh no, I have to pay 30 bucks on top of $1000+ 60" TV set! I guess I'll have to limit purchasing TVs to once a month instead of weekly. Government is taxing me to the point of poverty."
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3320 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
GroceryBagHead wrote:
Apr 30th, 2013 8:01 am
ECO tax is pretty BS to begin with but the amount of crying in here is hilarious.

"Oh no, I have to pay 30 bucks on top of $1000+ 60" TV set! I guess I'll have to limit purchasing TVs to once a month instead of weekly. Government is taxing me to the point of poverty."
Except that it's now $40 for anything over 29". You can get a 32" for around $200, so that's a pretty big amount in comparison. This is the problem... I wouldn't care if it was only $40 on huge TVs that you have to be pretty wealthy to afford anyway, but since it's a flat rate and the threshold is low (uncommon to find anything under 29" now), people who are trying to buy a cheap TV to fit into their budget are the ones getting screwed the most.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
7427 posts
231 upvotes
Brampton
Just bumping this thread for more people to be informed for Black Friday or Boxing Day deals.

I'm thinking of buying a $400 tv but with this $40 Eco fee plus taxes makes me think twice.

Not fair. Should be based on price and not TV size or not be so high to begin with.

I mean a 30" TV is not large or even mid size these days and yet you gotta pay $40 on a tv size that might be as low is $200.

Terrible.
Apr 8, 2013
52 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
I believe that we're also charged the HST on Eco-fee as well. We need to turf these guys out in the next election. How many extra taxes have we been hit with since the Liberals took office?
× < >