Food & Drink

New Ontario health regulation affects sushi restaurants - UPDATE!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2004 1:32 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1233 upvotes
Sauga
I bet this would never have happened if the chief medical officer of health and the associate chief medical officer of health were Japanese instead of Indian... :)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30568 posts
5064 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
wanted wrote:Ok a sushi question from a pakistanian guy,

When I went to the free buffet from Mandarin. I had some sushi. It was wrapped with seaweed/black paper and rice where was the raw fish. or did i not eat sushi?
What you ate was Mandarin's poor excuse for California Rolls. And it is not Sushi.

The black paper was dried seaweed. With sweet rice, Avacado, eggs and top top it off carrots.

No fish in that.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1233 upvotes
Sauga
Gee wrote:What you ate was Mandarin's poor excuse for California Rolls. And it is not Sushi.

The black paper was dried seaweed. With sweet rice, Avacado, eggs and top top it off carrots.

No fish in that.
"Sushi" is actually the vinegar rice.

From http://www.911cheferic.com/main/drecipe.asp?recipe=437 :
Note: Did you know that a Frenchman invented Sushi in Japan? In 1865, Tokyo, a Frenchman opened his French bakery in downtown Tokyo. But 100 years ago, Japanese did not understand western food, and therefore his business was slow. But as the French baker observed: Japanese people like raw fish. How about trying topping my French bread with raw fish for a change? After the French baker topped his French bread with raw fish, Japanese citizens flooded his store. Then later, the Japanese replaced the bottom portion of sushi, which was the bread, with vinegar rice. Sushi's original name is actually "sumeshi". "Su" means vinegar. "Meshi" means rice. But when people start to say it fast "Sumeshi, sumeshi, sushi!" It became just "Sushi"!

And from http://www.stickyrice.com/sushi/savvy/savvy.html :
Some folks get mixed up with the terms sushi and sashimi. Sushi means "seasoned rice" and sashimi means "sliced raw fish".
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2004
10349 posts
8 upvotes
Rehan wrote:I bet this would never have happened if the chief medical officer of health and the associate chief medical officer of health were Japanese instead of Indian... :)
That sounds pretty racist to me..
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1233 upvotes
Sauga
d_jedi wrote:That sounds pretty racist to me..
Well, Indians are much less likely than Japanese to like sushi. :D I know lots of Indians that don't venture too far away from their native cuisine... my dad, for example, (born in India) would never think about having raw fish. Even pizza or lasagne is usually a stretch for him. :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2002
2456 posts
9 upvotes
d_jedi wrote:That sounds pretty racist to me..
Not at all racist. There's no way the Cheif Medical Officer of Health would ever ban curry because it eats away at your intestines. :cheesygri

The whole idea of the ban is ********. There's nothing wrong with eating sushi. Yes there is a tiny possibility that you can get some sort of related sickness, but that possiblity exists with any other food. Do we put out a full scale ban on beef because of the possibility of ecoli?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1233 upvotes
Sauga
From http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... 8793972154 :
Frozen-sushi rule about to melt
Province set to ditch controversial regulation
Raw fish `safe to eat,' chief medical officer says

Ontario is set to scrap tough new health rules banning the use of fresh raw fish for sushi, acknowledging medical concerns about parasites were overblown.

"At the end of the day, the message for consumers is that the sushi and sashimi served in restaurants and large grocery stores is safe to eat," chief medical officer of health Sheela Basrur said yesterday. "We don't intend to take that away from people."

Sushi restaurant owners applauded the move, which must still be approved by the provincial cabinet. They had complained new rules requiring sushi fish to be deep frozen to kill potential parasites, then thawed, would ruin the food's taste and texture.

"I'm happy," said Barry Chaim, owner of Edo Restaurant on Eglinton Ave., giving health officials, including Basrur, credit for changing their minds after a furor earlier this fall. But Chaim said he remains concerned about the "cloud" the controversy left over the sushi business.

The government has been reviewing the freeze rule for more than two months, saying sushi restaurants were not initially consulted.

While deep freezing kills parasites that can cause roundworms and a painful condition called anisakiasis, a health ministry memorandum obtained by the Toronto Star notes Ontario cases of the disease "appear to be low" and notes most sushi fish is already frozen. Industry sources say freezing often occurs at sea.

Health Minister George Smitherman said yesterday he initially approved the ban based on information presented to him, but is open to revision.
Yay!
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
8 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
Took them a grand total of 2 months to disprove that. Not too bad (I mean it)!! It's good news to sushi lovers
Dec 17, 2003
345 posts
2 upvotes
Sweet! I had a hankering for some sushi in the next couple of weeks too :D
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2004
1083 posts
86 upvotes
Markham
This is democracy at it's finest!
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2004
4455 posts
48 upvotes
Yea i was reading this in the metro today.. 2 months to disprove a law is fantastic.

If only they could work so effectively with everything else!
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2295 posts
137 upvotes
Ottawa
Alright! Just in time for the holidays. :)

~V79~