• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2022 9:44 am
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1535 posts
1256 upvotes
Hamilton
Memorize a plate ?????

That's why my cell phone has a camera...........take a pic and carry your phone with you...
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19790 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
Bianco13 wrote: Doesn't look bad on a blue car.

You're right.

Now I want on my Audi Turbo Blue Q3. LOL
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2086 posts
773 upvotes
Toronto
luckystrike1 wrote: Memorize a plate ?????

That's why my cell phone has a camera...........take a pic and carry your phone with you...
I've been using the same plate since 2003. I'm used to it now. I'd pay for a replacement of the same number, anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2004
5136 posts
2179 upvotes
Mississauga
I was hoping as part of the cost saving that they get rid of front plate and lower down the cost per vehicle.
- Front bumpers will be clean looking, no need to worry about blocking intercoolers
- Love taps with somebody will not likely to cause paint damage
- US cops can't pinpoint visitors anymore during speedtraps

I honestly don't see a consequence to not having front plates.
All these hit&run on the news, did anyone ever say, the front plate was found and the suspect was caught?
If the front plate drops on the ground with some mechanism to leave evidence, that's a different story. At least it serves a purpose every single time.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4102 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
MasterMK wrote: I think, I was reading $59 for plate.(for plate older than 5 years) I don't know if it's for one plate or two plates. $95 for personalized plates.

Hey, is that a cross I see on Queens crown on the license plate. I thought we were removing religious symbol. Oh, that's Quebec I forget. But some people are still uptight about this symbol.
Not sure if you got your answer: It's $59 for the two plates. I picked mine up today. Out with the old, in with the new.
Why can't we all just get along?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7673 posts
1131 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Bianco13 wrote: Good to know. My old car turns 30 this year (sticker is due in 2 months) and I'm looking to switch over to the historic plates. Should look good on my dark blue car.
And your usage fits within the restrictions of the historic plates?
Aug 8, 2004
615 posts
386 upvotes
Ottawa
It has nothing to do with the front plate falling off.

It’s just another side of the car that can identify its owner if a bystander or camera catches it.

I have a front and rear cam and caught a hit and run a few weeks ago. Plate was clear in the front but the owner put a cover on the back which made it too blurry to read in the video.

Thanks to that front plate, the authorities tracked the owner down.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7673 posts
1131 upvotes
Toronto, ON
wing0 wrote: I was hoping as part of the cost saving that they get rid of front plate and lower down the cost per vehicle.
- Front bumpers will be clean looking, no need to worry about blocking intercoolers
- Love taps with somebody will not likely to cause paint damage
- US cops can't pinpoint visitors anymore during speedtraps

I honestly don't see a consequence to not having front plates.
All these hit&run on the news, did anyone ever say, the front plate was found and the suspect was caught?
If the front plate drops on the ground with some mechanism to leave evidence, that's a different story. At least it serves a purpose every single time.
As someone whose bumper needs replacement solely due to someone else's licence plates screws piercing a hole through it, I'm somewhat sympathetic to that... but... I also think that, especially in this era of dashcams, ubiquitous cameras, etc., it makes plenty of sense to have the front plate.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4102 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
Sanforized wrote: I wish this was a thing too. I actually like my plate number but I think the colour of the new ones would blend better with my black car.

My car is black and it looks beautiful on black. It's really quite sharp actually. I think it would look great in dark blue, red, black cars obviously, probably green too. No attachment to my old plates, I already forgot the plate numbers, but my new plate was easy to memorize
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4102 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
VivienM wrote: I also think that, especially in this era of dashcams, ubiquitous cameras, etc., it makes plenty of sense to have the front plate.
This is true. If someone rear-ends you and takes off, if you have a rear cam then you will have the license plate number. Or if you have a reverse camera, you can at least get a look of it before they take off.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4102 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
kavatski wrote: Found this close-up view.

A8A4D25C-EB31-46DE-80CF-B3876DDF59EA.jpeg
That's better than mine. Mine do cover the white border, but I really like the black border.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7673 posts
1131 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dassub wrote: I'm still using my A plates. They should let use order our current plate # but in the new style. I don't want to memorize new plates.
Unless they do it as a personalized plate, though, that makes no sense from a logistics/manufacturing standpoint. As it stands, they have the machines set up to crank out CMAA 001 to CMAA 999, then CMAB 001 to CMAB 999, etc. It would be a huge hassle to change the dies around to make AAAA 123 midway through a run of CMCTs or whatever.

I think some US states have done this before - 'remake' every number in circulation in the new design, then you swap in your old-look ABC 123 for a new-look ABC 123. While PA and NY and other states have done full reissues in the last decade or two, I can't imagine Ontario which still considers the 1973 Keep it Beautifuls to be valid would want to go through that insane exercise.

I admit that I don't understand why anyone would willingly want the new plates. Licence plates are like most things that are assigned sequentially - the older the number/design, the more established/responsible/stable/etc you look (conversely, a new plate on a cheap old car is, in my view, a sign of trouble). This new licence plate design has done everybody with the old plates a huge favour - in three months, CKxx 123 will look old in a way that it never would if CNBA xxx was on the same design. And in 15 years, my BZxx xxx, if it doesn't bubble into oblivion, will look almost as mature as a gently rusty 1973 Keep it Beautiful.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7673 posts
1131 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jeff1970 wrote: This is true. If someone rear-ends you and takes off, if you have a rear cam then you will have the license plate number. Or if you have a reverse camera, you can at least get a look of it before they take off.
Or if a witness is standing on the sidewalk with a smartphone, they can take a picture of the front of the car...
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2006
1503 posts
438 upvotes
Anyone else finding these harder to read from a distance? I noticed I have to be much closer to actually make out the letters.
Oct 23, 2017
90 posts
118 upvotes
Do they give you a new sticker as well or you peel off your existing one and put it on the new plate?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41789 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
micqqq wrote: Do they give you a new sticker as well or you peel off your existing one and put it on the new plate?
You get a prorated credit to buy a new sticker.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1984 posts
1453 upvotes
Toronto
Saw the plate at my workplace's parking lot... looks cool but feels very thin and cheap.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
Saw the new plates in parking lot. They are very reflective.

I like them, I would trade my bubbly BS.. (Pun intended) plates if I can trade for the same letters/numbers. Anyone know if that's possible. Like porting cell phone numbers, but plate numbers instead.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4102 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
micqqq wrote: Do they give you a new sticker as well or you peel off your existing one and put it on the new plate?
They give you a new sticker with the same expiry.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)